• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs NSW Waratahs, 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The best prop for the Rebels has been Yoda by a country mile. I would guess that 90%+ of the problems/penalties the Rebels have had with/against their scrum have been against Henderson. Henderson has been penalised a little too much for me at scrum time so far.

If Yoda was Australian qualified, then he'd be in my matchday 22 for the Wallabies, probably starting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gnostic

I thought that Paddy Ryan did well in his stint too. He missed a tackle, as I remember, but was physical when it mattered. He has scrummaged and done the tight work well in all the Junior Tahs games that he played in this year, excepting dropping the odd ball in the open.

Although we wouldn't wish injury on the likes of Robinson and Baxter, he could benefit from the odd injury to other props, as Kepu is. Sometimes the system works, though if Ryan had to start in every game it would be the system out of whack.

Can't say that I was pushing Kepu's barrow for the EOYT though. He started in only two Tahs games last year and the other 8 were from the bench. He didn't grab my eye; nor did he playing for Randwick. However, that could have more to do with my shonky assessment than his play. The way he is playing this year, it probably is.

Agree about Baxter being a target but there's not a lot you can do when ex-backs have the whistle in their hand.

Also agree about Alexander, which is a pity, as we all want him to do well. Would like to see him bend his knees more so he can get his bum lower and hit on the up - relative to what he is doing now. But only on the LH side, thank you.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
Back on thread...no start for Alcock, no show for Ryan, a 5/2 bench and no surprises (which would alarm Thom Yorke, not to mention many Tahs fans). Hickey may be surprised though, based on Bret Harris's quotes of him this morning.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Douglas is back replacing O'Connor, Baxter replaces Ryan on bench, McCutcheon replaces Waugh and Alcock takes Cutch's place on the bench

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
14. Atieli Pakalani (Randwick)
13. Ryan Cross (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
6. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm [c] (Sydney University)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)

Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
18. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
19. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
20. Chris Alcock (Eastwood)
21. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
The Force are cross and have declared war on a rudderless Tahs.

(Sorry, second jpeg is much smaller, can't see how to delete the first one.)

Attachments

• Tahs v Best Guess.jpg
    Tahs v Best Guess.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Tahs v Best Guess.jpg
    Tahs v Best Guess.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 268

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS Tom Kingston is travelling to Perth as 23rd man. He is mainly an outside centre but can play on the wing.

I've been giving him a wrap this year because of some of his performances in Junior Waratahs games. He probably won't get on the park but definitely watch this space on young Tom.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
GnosticCan't say that I was pushing Kepu's barrow for the EOYT though. He started in only two Tahs games last year and the other 8 were from the bench. He didn't grab my eye; nor did he playing for Randwick. However, that could have more to do with my shonky assessment than his play. The way he is playing this year, it probably is.

Agree about Baxter being a target but there's not a lot you can do when ex-backs have the whistle in their hand.

If I recall correctly Kepu was injured and only came back in the last? round of Shute and then played in the finals. In the finals he was especially good and stood out (I seem to recall) against the Eastwood pack that was laden with Super props. He scrummed very well and was great around the field. Why Deans picked other props over him is a total mystery but proved to be a negative masterstroke.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't like the McCutcheon selection. Seems to have nothing in contact. Big unit, but what does he actually bring to the game?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Back on thread...no start for Alcock, no show for Ryan, a 5/2 bench and no surprises (which would alarm Thom Yorke, not to mention many Tahs fans). Hickey may be surprised though, based on Bret Harris's quotes of him this morning.

Standard Hickey conservatism. Baxters still recovering and said he's not 100%. Against a second tier scrum it would have been nice to see how Ryan went. Chiefs scrum was third tier in my opinion. McCutcheon is playing poorly and needs to be benched/dropped but is still there based on his seven's reputation. Hickey is clearly not an Alcock fan. Hickey said Douglas would be rested to regain form, but I'm not sure how Hickey knows its back after only one week. Still, O'Connor was invisible in the second half so its no surprise Douglas is back.

I'd like to see McKibben get at least 20 minutes this week. Perhaps if Hickey pulled Burgess after the first brain-fart (kicking out on the full or trying the impossible pass) it would have two benefits: a kick up the bum to Burgo and we get to see McKibben at Super level. He can place kick too I hear.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't like the McCutcheon selection. Seems to have nothing in contact. Big unit, but what does he actually bring to the game?

Fox's stats has him making 11 tackles, missing 2, 2 runs and getting 1 pilfer in 31 minutes

That isn't too bad.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You have to remember Cutch has only just got back from a pretty bad injury. Like Cliffy we should give him a bit of time to get back up to SupeRugby speed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It's because he's another Richard Brown. High workrate, no effectiveness.

Do I sense a convert to my Societie of Hate for the Work Rate whores?

Those stats also make no mention of his two carries into contact for the loss of 10-15 metres and loss of possession.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If I recall correctly Kepu was injured and only came back in the last? round of Shute and then played in the finals. In the finals he was especially good and stood out (I seem to recall) against the Eastwood pack that was laden with Super props. He scrummed very well and was great around the field. Why Deans picked other props over him is a total mystery but proved to be a negative masterstroke.

Quite correct Kepu played the last General round of the Shield and then the elimination final, semi and Grand final. As you alluded to the Eastwood scrum when they met the Wicks included Alexander, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Dunning and K. Longbottom. The Tahs fielded Kepu at LHP, John Fonokalafi (Hooker) and Loto Taukeiaho (THP) and they played the whole game except blood bin for Taukeaho from memory. The Eastwood scrum managed parity only for most of the game only and Kepu was dominant in loose running, while still completing the tight requirements with his front row partners dominating their more fancied rivals everywhere else. Given the Super experience (and test experience) of the front rowers Eastwood fielded that day I was very surprised that they struggled to get parity in the set piece and got well beaten elsewhere. It was Robinson's first or second game back from injury and Alexander's second? Kepu's 2nd also so that cannot be an excuse.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Hickey just needs to play Alcock in the next couple of weeks, if Waugh is going, I don't think pat is capable injury or not so if Alcock isn't good enough we need to get in the market for hodgson or beau as soon as possible, we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) coming next year to bolster our back line, we need a class seven to go with him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If I recall correctly Kepu was injured and only came back in the last? round of Shute and then played in the finals.

He was back a lot earlier than that. His first game back was against Sydney Uni at Coogee - the one where Drew Mitchell ran through half the Uni team. He and Beale had a field day and they beat Uni. That was in the first Saturday in July which was round 12 of 22. After the last round Randwick played in 2 finals matches.

I couldn't warrant that he played in all of them but he was named in the programme a lot. He should have been up to speed when I saw him - but he didn't catch my eye, as I said.

You saw it differently and that is fair enough.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Do I sense a convert to my Societie of Hate for the Work Rate whores?

Those stats also make no mention of his two carries into contact for the loss of 10-15 metres and loss of possession.

Yep. The simple stats read okay but don't really come to grips with his ineffectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.