• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The only 2 things that are 100% confirmed with this story are:

a) Benji will not play for the Tiger next year.
b) Benji has said he will never play for any NRL club other than the Tigers.

This leaves either, the English Super League (league) or a plethora of options in rugby union.

So far he's been linked to:
  • Japanese Rugby (no teams floated).
  • The Tahs
  • The Blues
  • The Rebels (though admittedly only in a throw away line in 1 article).
Points worth considering are:
  • Benji has an affinity for the BOP Steamers and has been seen at their games as well as previously expressing that his childhood dream was to play for the ABs.
  • Benji is Maori, who now tour more often than they used to and have shown their willingness to selected outside of the box (like their selection of Willy Ripia).
  • Benji is Aussie qualified, having lived here for 10 years.
What are your thoughts?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The only 2 things that are 100% confirmed with this story are:

a) Benji will not play for the Tiger next year.
b) Benji has said he will never play for any NRL club other than the Tigers.

This leaves either, the English Super League (league) or a plethora of options in rugby union.

So far he's been linked to:
  • Japanese Rugby (no teams floated).
  • The Tahs
  • The Blues
  • The Rebels (though admittedly only in a throw away line in 1 article).
Points worth considering are:
  • Benji has an affinity for the BOP Steamers and has been seen at their games as well as previously expressing that his childhood dream was to play for the ABs.
  • Benji is Maori, who now tour more often than they used to and have shown their willingness to selected outside of the box (like their selection of Willy Ripia).
  • Benji is Aussie qualified, having lived here for 10 years.
What are your thoughts?
I'd like to hedge our bets: sign him for one of the super franchises (not the Tahs) and see how he goes.
I doubt he's a union half back and I have my reservations about the ability of league players generally to play 10 in union: one of our problems at international level is our love affair with league like 10's - IMO.
I like the cut of his jib though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the only way he'll play for the Tahs is if he decides he wants to stay in Sydney, give Rugby Union a go and doesn't care about money. There's no way the Tahs could afford to or would pay over a pretty basic Super Rugby salary. They don't have the room salary wise and I can't imagine Cheika would consider Marshall the kind of player he'd want to recruit if he had to put a lot of eggs in his basket for him. If the price tag was low, I could see Cheika investing one of his 35 squad places in him.

I think there would be real benefit in the Blues signing him and they would pay well for the privilige. I see this as the most likely result if he goes to rugby.

Japan is certainly another option and I would put this in second place after the Blues.

I can't see him going to the English Super League. I don't think he'd throw in the towel at the Tigers to go and play the same game in the UK.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I doubt he's a union half back and I have my reservations about the ability of league players generally to play 10 in union: one of our problems at international level is our love affair with league like 10's - IMO.
I like the cut of his jib though.

If he switched the Union the day the league season finished I'd back him as a 10. He's an intelligent athlete and has been since people worked out his fancy footwork.

Izzy became a good FB and he changed to Union mid preseason, in the 2013 professional game I'd say FB is just as technical as 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he switched the Union the day the league season finished I'd back him as a 10. He's an intelligent athlete and has been since people worked out his fancy footwork.

Izzy became a good FB and he changed to Union mid preseason, in the 2013 professional game I'd say FB is just as technical as 10.

I think he'd be very similar to Quade Cooper in playing style. He has an excellent passing game and fantastic footwork. He is also a crap defender and I'd say he is probably where Quade Cooper was two years ago defence wise. He doesn't bend his back and commit to tackles enough and is often found out by going too high with his arms and being easily fended away.

I think he could be moderately successful in his first year in Super Rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Chalk me up as another that thinks he will head to Japan. Guess only.

He'd surely be played at ten in rugby. Hooker in league is closest to halfback in rugby, halfback in league is probably closer to 10 in rugby. Could also play at fullback, I guess, joining the line wider out.

Benji Marshall's form has been pretty average for a while now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Best option is he goes to one of the NZ teams. Want to see what he is capable of but not at the expense of anyone else.

If he does want to stay in Aus the only club that I would like to see him at is the Rebels. They are lacking a playmaker but he would be at least 12 months away from being much good. Don't overpay and he may be a good buy.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think he'd be very similar to Quade Cooper in playing style. He has an excellent passing game and fantastic footwork. He is also a crap defender and I'd say he is probably where Quade Cooper was two years ago defence wise. He doesn't bend his back and commit to tackles enough and is often found out by going too high with his arms and being easily fended away.

I think he could be moderately successful in his first year in Super Rugby.

Early in his career he wasn't actually too bad in D, relying on his speed. He's now got two fairly problematic shoulders that has forced him to alter his tackling - more grabbing than putting the shoulder in regularly.

Benji's got a decent head on his shoulders and has good work ethic and has matured alot. Good luck to him whatever he does.

hughbert

Herbert Moran (7)
Do. Not. Want.

He's old, broken and by accounts I have read on leagueunlimited, a shadow of his former self.

The tahs are better of with Beale and Foley in that space.

He's going to want far more money than Australian rugby should even think about offering him.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Too late for him to make the switch IMO, he'd be best going to Japan and making good coin whilst not getting bashed in defense most weeks. That said he has ambitions to play for the All Blacks and Kirwan has said he is interested so I'd assume that the Blues will be the destination. He could be a decent attacking 10, in the QC (Quade Cooper) mould but with worse defense, his best shot of international rugby is probably 7s.

I hope the Tahs don't touch him with a barge pole. We've enough talent in 10/15 and the money would be far better spent on some forward depth, or hell even a kicking coach!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
I think this is the best option for us as Aussies.

Mostly because we get to see the great man have a crack at union and we don't have to spend a cent or wear his failures (not that he necessarily will fail, but it's unlikely he will be a top top player).

He was probably looking to return home to New Zealand at some stage and as he's a Bay of Plenty boy it'll be a fair safe bet he'll play for the Steamers in the ITM Cup.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I don't like it, don't think he'll do anything on the field. He will do lots off it however.

Status
Not open for further replies.