• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Link has said:
"I don't doubt the competitiveness; I don't doubt the athleticism; I don't doubt the skill. It's more about where the instincts are," said McKenzie, to start as Wallabies coach next month.

"That determines how successful you are going to be.

"The older you are, the more entrenched you are with the instincts of whatever you've been doing and the harder it is to suddenly go and develop new instincts."

I agree with what he is saying, but didn't Link try to poach the 30 year old Andrew Johns back in 2004?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...en-mckenzie-says/story-e6frg7o6-1226681354803

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
How is player transfer accepted in NZ?.From an outsiders point of view it seems to me that the super 15 revolving doors are constantly turning over there. Not sure why it is accepted that you can up and go every year between franchises regularly and that is accepted but you can't move codes. I note though that SBW going back to League was very easily accepted in NZ. Maybe we should learn from our neighbours.

Hi there, to be honest I don't know all of the details. All players are contracted to the NZRFU and then, I believe, a separate contract is set up for the Super 15 team. I don't know if the time frames for these contracts correlate. Perhaps some players are signed with the NZRFU for let's say 3 years but with their Super 15 team for 2 and then they renegotiate for the 3rd year either with the same team or a different team within NZ... not sure to be honest.

T

TOCC

To be fair he would probably go alright, but surely his injury concerns are a massive liability, if you are going to spend upwards of $700'000/year on a 'wildcard' player, you'd at least hope that he wasn't a injury liability to start with.

In saying that il reiterate my belief that the ARU shouldn't be offering top-ups for high profile 'code swap' signings.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think we should all be welcoming him with open arms on the condition he is paid relative to his value. What that value exactly is I'm not sure. If the best guys are on $400k then $200k-$250k would be fair given his proven track record in a very similar game. People say the two games are so different, blah blah, blah. Both SBW and Izzy have shown that the skill set is transferable.

Another class player coming to Rugby can only be a good thing.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Benji Marshall has ZERO comparison to Folau and SBW.
And there were queues around the block to predict their failure.

I will concede that his age and injury history is against him. But it's close minded to not entertain the idea he could be a successful team man who could bring something positive to Rugby.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm a New Zealander and I don't like League at all and I'm not the only one although there are certainly many that like both, predominantly in Auckland. I'm from Christchurch and there aren't many that fuss over League here at all, luckily.

It would be interesting to know how many players from the three different Super 15 countries have switched to different teams. For some reason I get the impression it is more prevalent in Australia but that may be completely wrong.

From recent (10 years) memory off the top of the head

Thorn
Nonu
Cruden
H. Gear
Anscombe
B. Franks
May
Poki
Lavea
Brett
Donnelly
SBW
Fruean
Noakes
Weepu
Mils
R. Gear

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
In regards to Folau - which of the young players are better than him? The reality is that there is a risk with every player you sign - will they continue to play as well as they have in the past, will they get injured, will they fit in at the club etc. Look at Auckland and Otago signing Nonu, Auckland letting Anscombe go, the Tahs releasing Beau Robinson, the Reds signing Samo, the Crusaders allowing Richie on a sabbitical..the risks in contracting are all just a part of pro sport..

Hence the reason that I don't believe that the ARU should be paying players who have not been selected in the Wallabies. I think that the 'Top-up' system is open to more problems then a pay for selection system. Just my thoughts.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is absolutely no way that the ARU should offer any money to Bunjee.

If one of our franchises can afford him, I would like to see him running around in our game. Pretty sure he would like to play some real rugby too, according to an interview I read in one of the papers he watches all the rugby he can.

Where did it all go so wrong for you, Bunjee? Think about what you might have missed out on - the wide wide world that exists outside Leichhardt.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
so how do the teams spend their time when playing overseas?

I mean a lot is made of 'in union the Super Rugby teams get to travel to south africa' as a selling point.

I can tell you, anyone who has flown to america as an example (and assume the trip to SA is of comparable magnitude) the enjoyment and novelty of that wears out pretty quick.

And you are effectively working when you get there, it's not like you're given a thousand bucks and told 'get out there and be a tourist' you know.

I'd imagine they get some time off, or do they?? What can you do in this five hours you did not do last time or the time before??

Just trying to get a handle on whether it IS an attraction or a curse (and I suspect you are there alone, it's not like the franchise flies your wife and kids over too)

Ha, maybe that IS the attraction for some, the wife is home looking after the kids, but benji seems happily married:)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm a New Zealander and I don't like League at all and I'm not the only one although there are certainly many that like both, predominantly in Auckland. I'm from Christchurch and there aren't many that fuss over League here at all, luckily.

It would be interesting to know how many players from the three different Super 15 countries have switched to different teams. For some reason I get the impression it is more prevalent in Australia but that may be completely wrong.

How many polynesian guys do you know or regularly hang-out with?

Status
Not open for further replies.