• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What position did/do you play?

What position do/did you play (most of the time)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Flanker - always on the left hand side and several decades later Thierry Dusatoir has copied what I did.

I was offside most of the time except on a few kick offs.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Formerly (20 years ago) Outside Centre but now a rusted on forward. In the nirvana that is Golden Oldies, not a great deal of difference between 1-8, they still continue to do all the hard work only to see 9-15 stuff it up!

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
this is a fascinating thread for several reasons.

my story is i don't have a story. being a damned yank i barely knew what rugby was before i showed up for my semester abroad in sydney. i played touch a few times as the others tried to humor me. and that's that. hence the moniker.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Newb said:
this is a fascinating thread for several reasons.

my story is i don't have a story. being a damned yank i barely knew what rugby was before i showed up for my semester abroad in sydney. i played touch a few times as the others tried to humor me. and that's that. hence the moniker.

bloody septics..... :p

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Started off as a no8 for one game back in the under 7s. Coach then recognised my lack of talent and moved me to hooker where I remained for 30 years. As a skinny runt I used to struggle against the big boys but I made up for that around the paddock. Played over 35's as a fat runt and I played every position except for lock. Now I am refereeing. Why limit yourself to only having 15 people hate you on a sat afternoon. I now have all 30 ploayers and the crowd.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Prop mostly, usually loosehead.

Also some substantial stints at 8 in juniors when I had the best rugby brain on the field.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Started wing and outside centre but mostly played fullback for canberra Vikings for a while. Then moved to the sunshine coast and played fly half for Noosa Dolphins, The level at the sunshine coast was way below that of Canberra. They didnt even play a full 100metre field or have goal kicks, which really frustrated me. Although I think it was only U13 or something like that. Then moved back to Canberra and played another season at fullback, then retired when i noticed getting drunk with girls was more fun. Now i wish i kept playing.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
PaarlBok said:
a hard arse cocky player have to be a scrummy.
So what were you? :fishing
:lmao: Bastard you. ;)

The TH fatty is always the scrummies biggest pel, not many around here, so I'll give more detail until I find a decent one. :fishing

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Came late to rugby, actually played some pretty decent AFL as a youngster, but kept growing sideways and through other factors my soul fell out of the game. Came to rugby in mid-high school, and since, have played half a dozen games at THP, 10min at 8, and the entire rest of my time at LHP.
Yeah.
It's no wonder I reckon the people on this forum rock hard, looking how many of us were the brains/engine rooms.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lee Grant said:
Flanker - always on the left hand side and several decades later Thierry Dusatoir has copied what I did.

I was offside most of the time except on a few kick offs.

Well, it explains the Quinnie-love, is all I'll say.

Played most of my rugby in school as a second-row, with two years mostly as a tight-head. Then tight-head in college (weighing under 80kg. Christ. And I was technically good enough to play on the seconds on occasion, when the first team were basically the entire Irish University squad). When I went back playing, about seven years ago now, they tried me out as second-row, then back-row. At which point, I suddenly realised that I was an undiagnosed blindside all my life. It's the easiest position I ever played, because it was just how I played naturally. If I'd only been put there when I was, say, fourteen, instead of thirty, it would have been interesting. And, while it doesn't have the same one-on-one joy of propping, it's so much evil fun it's unreal.

Kill ball. Steal ball. Keep ball. Repeat. :yay

S

simonr

Played prop from age 10. Started at TH, but moved to LH at high school. Copped a neck injury age 15 and finished up playing 8 (Leroy Houston type 8) but gave it away not long after that

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I played all of my rugby at loose head in the Illawarra. I usually had to concede weight but as I was almost the only one around doing weight lifting I could always hold my own. This led to a continuing fascination with the biomechanics and dynamics of scrummaging.

I am a firm believer that the main reason for playing rugby is that it gives you the chance to get involved in scrums.

C

chief

Bruce Ross said:
I played all of my rugby at loose head in the Illawarra. I usually had to concede weight but as I was almost the only one around doing weight lifting I could always hold my own. This led to a continuing fascination with the biomechanics and dynamics of scrummaging.

I am a firm believer that the main reason for playing rugby is that it gives you the chance to get involved in scrums.

Shoot me dead, call me a girl or a pussy, but I think contested scrums should go. Its far to dangerous, and I've seen kids have there necks destroyed, and one even broken. Plus they are going for too long. Now gents, unleash.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
chief, you're really just a closet leaguey arent you...

i've twisted my pelvis and strained my neck in a scrum, but don't care, its so much fun.

you could argue much the same thing for a tackle, i broke someones sternum when they tried to tackle me, and that lasted about three minutes too, does it mean we should stop tackling, no.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have played the whole gamut of front row after playing second row (as it was called back then) at age 13 and got shifted to THP when making the underage A team for the first time, and stayed there for 2nds and 1sts before being made to move to LHP due to the Aust Schoolboys THP being in same colts team, (he ended up playing for the Wallabies). Switched clubs next year and returned to THP for few years in Sydney and NSW country with some time in hooker in the last two seasons before retiring...did make a comeback few years later for a season when moving to Noosa and despite the warmer weather, I still hated training and had my last game on the bench and as a water boy for the reserves grand final...so thus my last act on the rugby field was to be sin binned (for rucking!) with few minutes to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.