• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What position did/do you play?

What position do/did you play (most of the time)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Utility Back

Always have trouble answering this question.
Ive been everywhere man...cept prop.

Started off playin league in northwest qld, used to love it too, but it honetly bores the shite outta me these days.

Have a preference for the centres, lately been playing in the back three mainly wing, also been training at scrummy. Im basically the main utility back for my side, i just call myself adam ashley cooper.
In my school days i also played flyhalf, and in yr 9 had to play with the younger age group as a december boy and put me at lock. And fruckin hated it as i didnt get to play with my own mates. Also played flanker for a year or two, which lookin back i wish i made the most of as its easily the funnest position on the field.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Started at 12 (with the odd game at fullback) and moved to the backrow when I was about 16. Played no.8 almost exclusively ever since.

Croks

Bob McCowan (2)
Started at 13 in school but as grew and slowed and everyone else got faster moved to prop and stayed there. Played mostly LHP but moved to THP when needed.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
I started at 15 as a young fella, then as I got older, slower and fatter moved to 10 and 12. Not much of an excitement machine like QC (Quade Cooper). Also, for a 10/12 I score a remarkably few tries per season, much prefering to set others up (That's what we all say isn't it?)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fat kid. Played prop. Then I became a tall kid and played second row. My real passion was number 8 which I played for the last couple of years at school. Drank lots of beer at University and sauntered onto the park at prop a few times just to earn the sponsored lager afterwards. It was ugly.

I

IamRed

Started as a Backrower, but playing in South Australia I've played every where except LH prop and Hooker. In recent years I've made the move to Inside centre and would ahve to say is the most fun position on the field. I don't know what others that have played Second row think, but I think it is the worst position by far.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Winger, scored some fun tries burning people off.

Edit: I was just thinking it would be pretty fun to make an organised G&GR touch footy game. Or Sevens style game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Winger, scored some fun tries burning people off.

Edit: I was just thinking it would be pretty fun to make an organised G&GR touch footy game. Or Sevens style game.

Yeah, when is the G&GR AGM?

Also, I heard a story and I was wondering whether anyone else had heard it or if someone can verify this... Is it true that Joe Hockey broke his ankle playing touch football on the lawn of Parliament House a few years ago?

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Number 8 was my best position but I got too slow. Tried Hooker, but it wasn't as much fun. Flagged it for music (guitar) and parties.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
In my first year I played second row purely because I was the tallest on the team. That changed the next year and I moved to THP. Played their for the rest of my rugby career.
Sadly I don't play it any more because of the travel involved when playing for a country side. Grafton to Port Macquarie was just too far.

S

Second row

second row. I would love to get a bit faster for flank (oh and somehow have all our back rowers disappear freakily for it to ever happen) and my aim is to never be so slow that they put me in the front row as I am about half the size of our props...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am still fairly new to GAGR (been here a year) and I found it amazing how many self reported props were hanging around. So I was about to start a thread in a very similar vein to this, but I thought I'd check if there already was one.

Managed to dig this out from four years ago and lo and behold my theory has been proven correct, there are an unproportional amount of props hanging around here. I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and wouldn't mind getting this started again.

I am stuck in between prop and lock. Too tall for prop (~6'4), too heavy for lock and too slow for back row. Played prop for my first year of 1st XV, then switched between lock and prop in my 2nd and final year of 1st XV. Definitely preferred playing lock, gotta love jumping.

T

Train Without a Station

I started out as a 12 in the lower grades before settling as a jackal type 7. Play a tighter game because I lack the speed and skill to play otherwise. I've floated around to 6 and 8 at times depending on players around me but 7 is where I'm suited. At 178cm I've considered switching to hooker but I've dropped from playing at 98kg in 2010, to 95kg from 2011 and now as low as 90kg so I'm getting a bit small.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I am still fairly new to GAGR (been here a year) and I found it amazing how many self reported props were hanging around. So I was about to start a thread in a very similar vein to this, but I thought I'd check if there already was one.

Managed to dig this out from four years ago and lo and behold my theory has been proven correct, there are an unproportional amount of props hanging around here. I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and wouldn't mind getting this started again.

This surprises me, too. The average IQ of the forum isn't nearly as high as it should be, based on what I'm reading.

Don't worry about being too tall for prop: bend your levers and you'll do OK

Status
Not open for further replies.