• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where is JON hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The AFL & ARL are eating our lunch and I cannot see it getting better in the foreseeable future.
They have real money and independent commissions and if they even cared, would be laughing at the directionless ineptitude of ARU leadership.
JON will leave our game in financial stress, without a 3rd tier pathway, instability in our coaching and and an angry and disgruntled fan base.
JON is about JON, always has been and always will be, but my biggest disappointment is the lack of any visible action from the board to call him into line.
Is a condition of becoming a board member having to cut off your nuts?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks for the correction. Point still stands though, only now it is Manchester City that must shoulder the blame.

The serious point wrt these 'discussions' as JO'N had with Man City re its then CEO position there is surely this: they occurred, by JO'N's own admission (after heavy media leaks), in 2011 only a few months after the ARU board and JO'N had agreed how important it was that the ARU secured JO'N's CEO contract extension pre-RWC 2011 for another two-year period of 2012 and 2013.

See the total inconsistency of principles at work? In about April 2011 JO'N solemnly declared how important he and the board deemed his robust continuity to be for the ARU for two more years, irrespective of the RWC outcome, and plainly that significant commitment was meant to be mutual, otherwise just extend the contract month to month, or not at all. Yet within 6 months of that date, JO'N was actively considering a CEO candidature for a major UK soccer club (another person was offered the job). Clearly, the ARU was not perturbed by the fact that its CEO was off on other job approaches very soon after committing to a 2-year contract extension.

This is all part of precisely the same theme of board conduct and governance that I attempted to analyse above in post #91.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
One of my snouts tells me that JON will be judged positively, if only from a commercial (profit & loss) perspective. Word is that with no significant inbound tour during the world cup - finances resembled ma Hubbard's cupboard. With the lions coming on an old fashioned, full strength, multi fixture tour - even a moderately successful tour will set up the finances for a bit to come. Watch this space. PS - the snout would not elaborate on the playing side of stuff - maybe there's a story in that as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of my snouts tells me that JON will be judged positively, if only from a commercial (profit & loss) perspective. Word is that with no significant inbound tour during the world cup - finances resembled ma Hubbard's cupboard. With the lions coming on an old fashioned, full strength, multi fixture tour - even a moderately successful tour will set up the finances for a bit to come. Watch this space. PS - the snout would not elaborate on the playing side of stuff - maybe there's a story in that as well.
if he wouldnt elaborate there must be!

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
The AFL & ARL are eating our lunch and I cannot see it getting better in the foreseeable future.
They have real money and independent commissions and if they even cared, would be laughing at the directionless ineptitude of ARU leadership.
JON will leave our game in financial stress, without a 3rd tier pathway, instability in our coaching and and an angry and disgruntled fan base.
JON is about JON, always has been and always will be, but my biggest disappointment is the lack of any visible action from the board to call him into line.
Is a condition of becoming a board member having to cut off your nuts?

Rugby Union seems to be moving into the space that Rugby League used to occupy for a while in the 90's. A lot of uncertainty, infighting (As seen through the emergence of Super League), casual fans losing interest and really only getting worked up for the big events of State of Origin and the Grand Final.

The future of Rugby is not as dire as what some make it out to be. I think Man on the Hill is correct when saying that the Lions tour will help JO'N leave Rugby in the black, but you are correct in saying that over his 2 tenures as CEO of Rugby Union, and the game doesn't have a 3rd tier in this country, there is lack of confidence in the top coaching staff from a few angles and the game is bleeding fans.

Originally, I was under the impression that JO'N was merely another board member with Echo, which would be perfectly fine. Being the chairman as stated many times above, carries certain other responsibilities where I dont think both positions can be managed with as much consideration as each needs individually.

All the talk about who could replace him seems centred on Carmichael from the Reds (is that his name?). This is a reasonable suggestion. Many businesses look to the heads of subsidiaries to take over the top job. Gail Kelly at Westpac, Alan Joyce at Qantas, especially when they have proven themselves by doing well at the subsidiaries. The thing that worries me is that it seems to be very up in the air. If JO'N was to walk today, is there any succession planning in place? The board should be the ones that would need to worry about this. Is there anyone currently in the ARU that is even remotely known to be able to take the top job? Who is running the show when O'Neill is on leave, or at his other gig? This would be the time where the board should be urging the front runner in house to be fronting the media, towing the company line but getting their face out there. The fact that this isn't happening either means O'Neill will be hanging around at least til the Lions come and go

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does anybody know how many staff in the ARU, actually, it would be really interesting to see an organisation chart.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Does anybody know how many staff in the ARU, actually, it would be really interesting to see an organisation chart.
I think this is it:
obamacare%252520chart.jpeg

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

Is your snout JON that stated publicly that he signed til after the lions tour so he could leave the game with good finances?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
wj, as someone who regards himself as a mate of yours and a great admirer of your passion and unwavering commitment, can I suggest that this thread has just about run its race?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
wj, as someone who regards himself as a mate of yours and a great admirer of your passion and unwavering commitment, can I suggest that this thread has just about run its race?

You can.

I've left what I was commenting about alone.

This was a new comment that you don't need an inside source to repeat what the CeO has publicly stated in order to post.

Will ad, did some research, as a non executive chairman, JON is part time at Echo, not full time, no resignations take effect to the end of January and they are scheduling meetings around his pre existing commitments with the ARU. Rang em and asked as a concerned shareholder.

''There is no chaos around the board table." O'Neill said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/oneill-refuses-to-fold-20120928-26qxr.html#ixzz28DDO8nmv

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
If JO'N was to walk today, is there any succession planning in place? The board should be the ones that would need to worry about this. Is there anyone currently in the ARU that is even remotely known to be able to take the top job? Who is running the show when O'Neill is on leave, or at his other gig?

The immediate name that comes to mind is one Matt Carroll. Had a tilt at the top job in 2004 but missed out to Flowers and then jumped ship to soccer. Came back when JO'N returned. From all accounts a more-than-capable executive but may be seen as too closely associated to JO'N to get the CEO position full time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The immediate name that comes to mind is one Matt Carroll. Had a tilt at the top job in 2004 but missed out to Flowers and then jumped ship to soccer. Came back when JO'N returned. From all accounts a more-than-capable executive but may be seen as too closely associated to JO'N to get the CEO position full time.
and there's a reason he's been with JON so long

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Wasn't he responsible for turning the NSWRU finances around when they were under ARU administration?

Status
Not open for further replies.