• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There are degrees of it though.

Horan is definitely at the extreme end of calling the obvious.

So is Mark Ella, his columns in The Australian can usually be summed up in one sentence: "we will only win if we spin the ball".

I wonder if there is some sort of reverse correlation, the better the player was, the worse he will be as a commentator. Then I remember that all our former players are crap (except Kafer) as commentators.

There are a couple of good commentators for AFL games, but the best Aussie commentator of all is . . . . . . . Warren Ryan. He can make loig sound interesting. Well, up to a point, anyway (if you are on a long road trip and there is nothing else to listen to).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If people don't take Grumbles seriously, where does that leave Spiro Zavos?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/03/04/spiro-a-standing-ovation-for-the-nsw-waratahs/

Which game was he at? At the SFS, there certainly wasn't 11K giving a standing ovation. He must have been counting those who got up to leave at full time.
he probably figures that with such a small crowd there's next to no chance of anyone actually pulling him up on his hyperbole - either that or the "Thrust after thrust" has further addled his brain

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^ I was standing for the entire game and clapping at certain times so technically I could have been giving a standing ovation.

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
Of course the answer is 'Green and Gold', but with the news from Fairfax today I fear that we may soon be seeing and reading less of the thoughtful, insightful, erudite, relevant, self-deprecating, knowledgeable and enjoyable pieces from some of our favourite Rugby journaklists: Grumbles, Fitz, Spiro and Matt.

From a few years back when the Herald was a paper that took Rugby seriously and effectively, to today's efforts and to the new Fairfax plans, I can see the amount of Rugby coverage being diminished. Perhaps a few gems from the ARU Media Unit, the occasional view of JOC (James O'Connor), Quade and Kurtley in the social pages, one of their League writers trying to put the game down. And if channel 9 keeps their current coverage of the game I won't even be able to read the words 'Rugby Union' in the paper's TV guide.

The writers there may have occasionally written garbage, idiotic meaningless tripe, but they were Rugby writers and if only for the amusement, humour and pathos I will miss their often paltry, banal crap.

Ive posted on Planet Rugby for nearly 12 years and haven't looked at the splash page with the news for probably ten. Keo has the odd good story and heaps of traffic for big games and no surprise given how many registered players there are in RSA, something like 400K which is more than Mungoball worldwide. Wayne Smith of the Australian is head and shoulders better than any other fulltime rugby journo. David Lord is writing a lot of articles for the Roar and used to be on Sky Sports' Sportsline the last time i looked, every Mondays i think, and is generally a big waste of space probably worse than the O'Neill sycophant, Growden.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ive posted on Planet Rugby for nearly 12 years and haven't looked at the splash page with the news for probably ten. Keo has the odd good story and heaps of traffic for big games and no surprise given how many registered players there are in RSA, something like 400K which is more than Mungoball worldwide. Wayne Smith of the Australian is head and shoulders better than any other fulltime rugby journo. David Lord is writing a lot of articles for the Roar and used to be on Sky Sports' Sportsline the last time i looked, every Mondays i think, and is generally a big waste of space probably worse than the O'Neill sycophant, Growden.
Lord?
The guy must be more than 80 - proof that sinking piss is only a risk factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a really good article by Paul Cully in today's Sydney Morning Hurled, talking about the Lions and the sort of 7 they will need. The sort of article that Growfat did not write ONCE in the 12 or so years that I read his bilge, searching for some sort of rugby wisdom, fool that I was.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
So is Mark Ella, his columns in The Australian can usually be summed up in one sentence: "we will only win if we spin the ball".

I wonder if there is some sort of reverse correlation, the better the player was, the worse he will be as a commentator. Then I remember that all our former players are crap (except Kafer) as commentators.

There are a couple of good commentators for AFL games, but the best Aussie commentator of all is . . . Warren Ryan. He can make loig sound interesting. Well, up to a point, anyway (if you are on a long road trip and there is nothing else to listen to).

Full marks for good judgement. And a bonus point for admitting that which may have been annoying to admit.

With Mr Ryan, one gets reasoned analysis from someone with broad and deep knowledge of the matter at hand. This combination is sadly too rare in Oz winter sports.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In GG's recent Ruck and Maul he said:
The new ARU guard's obsession in leaking everything to one newspaper is also upsetting the rest - and with good reason
Based on the increased number of ARU articles in the Australia, I'm guessing he is talking about that paper. Perhaps he's upset that he is no longer the journalist the ARU leak to now that JON has gone.

Anyway, I have noted a more positive outlook by Wayne Smith in his articles on the ARU since Pulver has taken over. I wonder if there is a link between the 'leaks' and more favourable coverage. Today there were very positive articles about Pulver and Hawker.

I rate Smith very highly, but he became a little obsessed giving JON stick towards the end of his reign and during the Quade contract saga.

The ARU isn't flush with funds but Smith still described the situation with some optimism. It was refreshing. I enjoyed it.

Only issue is that many of the articles are behind the pay wall and my old trick to gain access has been thwarted. I had to go old school and go and buy the paper today.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It seems as though anything strategic or exclusive (e.g. Third tier proposals) are behind the pay wall, match reviews or ARU PR are free.
I actually meant you buying the paper - I was thinking rupert had finally turned the trend around!
Still its an odd distinction between game reports and strategic stuff.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^ we get the papers at work, so I don't usually buy them. I'll just have to buy the weekend one.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's becoming obvious just how much Scoop Growden needed to rely on the subbies at the Herald. His latest effort includes these grammatical howlers:

"Two other Australian provincial coaches have made it known they will be the first to judge Deans if the Lions tour sacrifices - which includes allowing provincial players to be involved in a pre-tour camp - does not lead to a Wallabies series victory."

It should read "if the Lions Tour sacrifices . . . do not lead . . ."

"Waratahs coach Michael Cheika is not impressed with members of his squad whom he considers fit are arguing they need rest because of injuries."

It should read "Michael Cheika is not impressed with members of his squad whom he considers fit who are arguing they need rest because of injuries."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not here:
NRL and ARU doctors were quick to use American football examples to kill the shoulder charge, quoting its research on the link between repeated concussion and brain disease.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football-codes-dont-go-all-the-american-way-20130322-2gl3q.html#ixzz2OImJxM00

Masters is either stupid, blinkered or both.
  1. Shoulder charging has not in my memory ever been legal in union.
  2. Contact above the armpits has been banned in union since jesus played under 6's for nazareth - so dont try to lump us in with league in terms of the risk of head injury from the game.
  3. Union, on any view of it, thought of it first so dont try to drag us in to your neanderthal, late-breaking ways (hyphen for Cat_A).
  4. The ARU, unlike the NRL (and NFL for that matter), does not set the laws - you see, Roy, Union is a truly international game.
  5. There's a whole world out there that does things differently to the NRL: get a grip.