• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I actually think the rugby coverage at the SMH has gotten better in the last two years. I don't miss Grumbles and I think Georgina Robinson does an able job with the bread and butter stuff that, as barbarian pointed out, is at the core of sports coverage. Paul Cully is an excellent analyst and his articles are always carefully thought through.

Could it be better? Yes, definitely. Is it a plague upon the the rugby public? Not given the resources currently available.

As an aside, the issues with spelling and grammar are hardly surprising. Almost no one writes clean copy every time and certainly not when they need to churn out more and more articles in increasingly tight timeframes. At the same time, media orgs have been cutting subeditor positions and consolidating editing desks. If you've got a major problem with all that, I sure hope you actually pay for the paper and don't just read free content online.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Great to see Phil Waugh out spreading rugby. Northmead is beginning to push into the Western Suburbs. However I'm concerned about the free tickets he is giving away. I'm looking forward to the game against the Reds, but I didn't realise we were playing RL against Perth.

At the end of the day, the students were given tickets to the Western Reds versus Waratahs game to be held later in the year.

http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/1...s-northmead-students-a-few-rugby-moves/?cs=12

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The ever dependable Phil Kearns involved in a discussion about players who have had five Lions tours:

"Wow. Five tours, that's 20 years."

No, Kearnsy, it's actually 16 years, although I suspect you might just as well attempt to get him to comprehend the Theory of Relativity as try to explain the logic involved.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ever dependable Phil Kearns involved in a discussion about players who have had five Lions tours:

"Wow. Five tours, that's 20 years."

No, Kearnsy, it's actually 16 years, although I suspect you might just as well attempt to get him to comprehend the Theory of Relativity as try to explain the logic involved.

It's this kind of mathematical skill that puts your mind at ease knowing he's the CEO of a major financial planning firm.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"We can't wait to look forward to this one." Matt Burke warming up half an hour before the First Lions Test. And apparently working without an auto-cue.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"The Wallabies haven't had a lot of match practice among the whole squad." Gordon Bray who may well have been Matt Burke's inspiration in his choice of an after-rugby career. Not a lot of match practice as in precisely zero, Gordon.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tim Horan, who doesn't get sufficient recognition for his creativity and contribution to the evolution of the English language, has decided to style the visitors the "Britshyrishlines." Commendable brevity.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Did he take the new Zealand stats out of every coaches stats or just Robbie's.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's modern day press "churnalism".

Journalists just spew out press releases ad nauseum, often adding little to no insight or critique. It's particularly bad when industries pay for advertising then deliver press releases that are little more than propaganda pieces, and they get published (see mining, property, related articles just for starters).