• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As I understand the situation, Cheika gets most say, if not all, in the selection of the third selector. Have to say I think the introduction of Johnson and the selection panel is mere window dressing on the part of RA.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As I understand the situation, Cheika gets most say, if not all, in the selection of the third selector. Have to say I think the introduction of Johnson and the selection panel is mere window dressing on the part of RA.

So what would you do? Sack Chubby? What then?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Play the fiddle while RA burns. MUHAHAHA

giphy.gif

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
She hasn't done anything. Zero bravery. Inaction is just as responsible as poor actions.

I hear this and wonder what real options she really has, there is no money, so payout Cheika, Grey et al and buy another "better" coaches with what? and who? We hear all these wish lists of better options that are in contracts so would require a payout and big wages.

And she can't "sack" Clyne, that is a board issue and Chairman's of the board employ CEO's, CEO's don't sack the Chairman

So what would have been the "brave" things to do?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I hear this and wonder what real options she really has, there is no money, so payout Cheika, Grey et al and buy another "better" coaches with what? and who? We hear all these wish lists of better options that are in contracts so would require a payout and big wages.

And she can't "sack" Clyne, that is a board issue and Chairman's of the board employ CEO's, CEO's don't sack the Chairman

Move away from Super Rugby, or at least tell SANZAAR we need to keep Japan.
Learn how to play the game to win the WRWC bid (get the votes)
Negotiate a way to get Super Rugby on FTA

I get that the bank is nearly empty, but we need somebody who is willing to try and change the game's trajectory, not just carry on playing it safe...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So what would you do? Sack Chubby? What then?

Had I had my way, Cheika would have gone in 2016. It was obvious then that he had his favourites and no amount of test losses was going to influence him to pick stronger teams.

EDIT : It wouldn't have been too late to sack him at the end of 2018, but guts are totally lacking in the RA.

Play the fiddle while RA burns. MUHAHAHA

View attachment 10427

Abolutely hilarious Sully. As they say, if shit was wit, you'd be constipated.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Well, for starters she could have moved Cheika to the created spot that Bernie has taken up, at same rate of pay. Cheika is poison and the further away from the test team he is the better.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Learn how to play the game to win the WRWC bid (get the votes)

Plenty of game playing went on with that (few details in this article). If anything, the NZ guys didn't play at all.

Really it just came back to NZ winning five of the last six cups, and being the most dominant team of the world in that time.

Hard to play enough games to get around that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH, I would at least have tried to find someone suitable. RA on the other hand have just not been interested in even looking over the past 4 years. And as I said, Cheika should have gone 4 years ago and there would have been ample numbers of good and tried coaches to take over. This is not just a flash in the pan thing to me. Cheika has ruined the national team since the last RWC and some of us have seen it happening from the very beginning. Actually, from the many posts on this site, I'd say most of us.

My first inclination at this late stage would be to organise a direct swap with Daryl Gibson. If that failed, there would be someone willing to take the task on just as Cheika was just before RWC 2015. With better selections, there is a chance that even blind Freddy could put a squad together that would be competitive to the semi finals of the Cup in 2019, and hence make a name for himself and get something better in the years following the WC. Just like Cheika.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BH, I would at least have tried to find someone suitable. RA on the other hand have just not been interested in even looking over the past 4 years. And as I said, Cheika should have gone 4 years ago and there would have been ample numbers of good and tried coaches to take over. This is not just a flash in the pan thing to me. Cheika has ruined the national team since the last RWC and some of us have seen it happening from the very beginning. Actually, from the many posts on this site, I'd say most of us.

Not true, they were actively looking for Head Coaches as late as November last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

My first inclination at this late stage would be to organise a direct swap with Daryl Gibson. If that failed, there would be someone willing to take the task on just as Cheika was just before RWC 2015. With better selections, there is a chance that even blind Freddy could put a squad together that would be competitive to the semi finals of the Cup in 2019, and hence make a name for himself and get something better in the years following the WC. Just like Cheika.

No rugby nation in the world would have sacked their head coach within a year of making the RWC Final against the odds in their first year since taking the job.

Suggesting that Cheika should have been sacked in 2016 is ridiculous. You might hate the guy but that would have been an insane decision. You would have also had four years of a contract to pay out.

You might have "seen it from the beginning" because you were tipping him to fail at the RWC. If you're wrong at that point you can't claim in hindsight to have been right from the beginning because it happened later.

I think the only realistic time Cheika could have been sacked was during 2018 and that left them very little option of an alternative that could potentially achieve a better outcome at the RWC. Certainly at that point their only real option is looking for a caretaker who has little to gain. The only way to attract a better candidate is to offer then tenure beyond the RWC which means you have selected your new coach with very few of the best options available at the time of appointment which is just likely to prolong the problem.

What they have done is try and improve the situation through to the RWC by having Johnson and a selector in the frame and make some changes to the assistants. They are then in a better position to make a good appointment after the RWC.

I don't think anyone accepts the head coach role a year out from the RWC without being offered longer than just coaching to the RWC.