• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

I am not a lawyer. Not even a bush lawyer. But AFAIK, the IRB is the world governing body, and the ARU is affiliated with them. So if any club or other entity wants to play rugby in this country, the ARU or its nominees would presumably have to consent.

It kind of stands to reason that any serious sport has a formal governance regime.

Broadcasters, governments, insurance companies, etc etc. You name it. They would not be interested in supporting a rebel sport, which is what it would have to be.

So you quoted the first half of what I was saying and not the second half?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I am not a lawyer. Not even a bush lawyer. But AFAIK, the IRB is the world governing body, and the ARU is affiliated with them. So if any club or other entity wants to play rugby in this country, the ARU or its nominees would presumably have to consent.

It kind of stands to reason that any serious sport has a formal governance regime.

Broadcasters, governments, insurance companies, etc etc. You name it. They would not be interested in supporting a rebel sport, which is what it would have to be.

I am a lawyer and the idea that you can't play rugby, or set up an organization to play rugby, without IRB approval sounds pretty far fetched. We havn't entered into some kind of multi-lateral international treaty dictating how and when rugby must be played, or who controls it.

I suspect the IRB has authority because of individual agreements with national unions. It's mutually beneficial for a thousand reasons. Standardized rules, World Cup, etc.

The problem is, as you point out, A rival organization would not have access to the rest of the rugby world. Though, as with anything, if it became popular broadcasters and sponsors would get on board.

Note: i have done absolutely no research to back this up.

L

Leo86

Lets show our unity as fans and for the game

STRONGER AS FIVE

Show it at games and where ever else you can

Yes im a Force member/fan

No i dont want to see any of the Aussie teams go

Lets grow the game and not agree to it whittling away

Cmon ARU the fans want 5, the fans also pay for the broadcasters

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
Lets show our unity as fans and for the game

STRONGER AS FIVE

Show it at games and where ever else you can

Yes im a Force member/fan

No i dont want to see any of the Aussie teams go

Lets grow the game and not agree to it whittling away

Cmon ARU the fans want 5, the fans also pay for the broadcasters
as a kiwi i want 5 aussie teams, i want more games in goid times, last night was crying out for a game after the canes played nsw

pooch

Frank Row (1)
Cut the rebels. Unfortunate but it probably needs to happen. Melbourne will always be AFL central with soccer a distant 2nd.

-The Victorian support for the rugby lite team is very underwhelming considering they've had all the success in the world. Best rugby can achieve there is a distant 3rd.
-ACT has history and has produced some of the greatest wallabies ever
-There is lot more potential for Rugby in WA than Vic.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This stuff at this point is offensive. Go away troll.

Strength in 5.
While you certainly don't have to agree with an opinion, it is just an opinion. I don't think there's a rule that everyone has to agree that 5 teams is the target.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
05a026065b91ba422d7b3995058dba36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
While you certainly don't have to agree with an opinion, it is just an opinion. I don't think there's a rule that everyone has to agree that 5 teams is the target.
Three posts to a forum is enough to qualify as a troll, particularly when throwing molotov cocktails into a sensitive thread.

Or perhaps you disagree.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Coincidentally, the announcement will come right at full-time for the Force vs Kings match

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Coincidentally, the announcement will come right at full-time for the Force vs Kings match

Going to be fun for Fox to get those post match interviews as the players sprint off the field to find out if their employer is going to fuck them over or not

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Three posts to a forum is enough to qualify as a troll, particularly when throwing molotov cocktails into a sensitive thread.

Or perhaps you disagree.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Well, there was some reasoning of sorts in the post, and everyone has to start posting sometime. Put it this way, we get lots of trolls, and this was not nearly as obvious as most. By all means, disagree with the poster. I do.

Reactions: Tex
Status
Not open for further replies.