• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Noting the complete lack of international broadcaster interest in either product in 2021, a reason i can see them going this way is that potentially some International broadcasters are willing to pay decent cash to broadcast a TT, when they aren't willing to broadcast/pay for a Super Rugby AU or AO individually

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Noting the complete lack of international broadcaster interest in either product in 2021, a reason i can see them going this way is that potentially some International broadcasters are willing to pay decent cash to broadcast a TT, when they aren't willing to broadcast/pay for a Super Rugby AU or AO individually
Highly possible, but thats the catch 22 of Australian rugby, hostage to some potential foreign broadcaster. As the game slowly declines domestically how long can you hold onto that path. Its like a drug addict knowing that long term it will kill you. We constantly hear lip service from the RA about growing the game domestically, yet at every oppotunity nothing is done.
Ultimately you will end up without a product to sell to anyone.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually think it maybe why Stan/Nine want TT, because don't they have right to sell RA's games overseas as part of deal. Not sure but for some reason I thought I had read that when the deal was being done, think it could be because they pay for all the broadcasting etc. I think it also true of Sky tv in NZ and one of reasons they can pay so much? Then I could be completely wrong of course!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I actually think it maybe why Stan/Nine want TT, because don't they have right to sell RA's games overseas as part of deal. Not sure but for some reason I thought I had read that when the deal was being done, think it could be because they pay for all the broadcasting etc. I think it also true of Sky tv in NZ and one of reasons they can pay so much? Then I could be completely wrong of course!
I think Stan just wanted more content and wasn't sold on a 5 team competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, well how does it work? I got no idea , I assumed if stan/nine owned the rights, and if they paid for the production etc they would be able to sell it. Do RA hold rights for overseas then?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Governing body’s hold the rights to sell them overseas, domestic broadcasters like Nine have no interest in taking on the risk of selling the international rights. This may change in the future as SVOD platforms like Amazon take a greater role in sports streaming.

Production costs are factored into the outlay by the broadcaster and offset against what they’re prepared to pay in cash.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Governing body’s hold the rights to sell them overseas, domestic broadcasters like Nine have no interest in taking on the risk of selling the international rights. This may change in the future as SVOD platforms like Amazon take a greater role in sports streaming.

Production costs are factored into the outlay by the broadcaster and offset against what they’re prepared to pay in cash.
Cheers ta mate, I honestly didn't know that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I started writing this in the broacast thread, but decided it was more appropriate here. The talk there about the need (or not) for a 3rd Bledisloe got me thinking. This is an adaptation of an earlier pipe dream I posted but I wonder how this would work from both a competition and broadcast perspective:

Feb-May - 8-10 team domestic comp
June - domestic rep games. 3 x NSW v Qld Origin games with a 3 week round robin of ACT, Vic (inc Tas), WA (inc SA & NT), and a 4th BaaBaas team of PI origin plus leftovers from the other sides, mostly Qld & NSW probably, playing as the curtain raisers.
July - inbound tests.
late July-mid Sep - 5 week comp with NSW & Qld Origin and an ‘all other Wobs eligible’ sides, and Sth & Nth Island Origin and an ‘all other AB eligible’ sides, with a 1 v 2 final.
mid Sep-mid Nov - RC
mid Nov-mid Dec - EOYT.

Like I said a pipe dream, but I’d love to see us working towards something like this eventually

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Just a question, by governing bodies, does that mean what it sounds like, and Sanzaar sell the rights to their comp? If so what has the argument supposedly been about who would get what from Super TV deal? I do realise you are right because I remember reading that Boks were still eligible for a cut of tv deal even though they weren't playing, so I should of worked it out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just a question, by governing bodies, does that mean what it sounds like, and Sanzaar sell the rights to their comp? If so what has the argument supposedly been about who would get what from Super TV deal? I do realise you are right because I remember reading that Boks were still eligible for a cut of tv deal even though they weren't playing, so I should of worked it out.

I don’t understand the question sorry

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t understand the question sorry
Not really a quetion, just saying I should of realised that Sanzaar sold the rights , as the Boks were entitled to a split of TRC last year even though they didn't play. Just kind of pointing out how much I probably miss the obvious mate!!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Super Rugby Pacific announced:

Thought this was an interesting line:
Teams will play each other once across the 14-week regular season, along with playing three teams twice, with an added focus on delivering more local derbies following the success of Super Rugby AU and Aotearoa.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nice to see it's only a 2 year commitment.

Still particularly interesting to me that despite no longer having a South Africa/Argentina tour each team is still playing 2 fewer games than we did in the 15 team and 18 team models, despite the fact that 2 extra games gives the full sweep of derbies rather than the mix and match rubbish that for some god forsaken reason is returning from the 18 team model.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nice to see it's only a 2 year commitment.

Still particularly interesting to me that despite no longer having a South Africa/Argentina tour each team is still playing 2 fewer games than we did in the 15 team and 18 team models, despite the fact that 2 extra games gives the full sweep of derbies rather than the mix and match rubbish that for some god forsaken reason is returning from the 18 team model.
Only 2 year? Didn't see that , only next year and beyond. Pleased really the idea of the extra 3 games will be derby matches by look of it, so seems everyone got a bit of what they wanted. see early start that early date that RA wanted to, had read there had been discussion about that. Well obviously they did or they wouldn't of signed.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only 2 year? Didn't see that , only next year and beyond.

Pleased that it's only 2 years.
Recognises that Covid 19 will still be with us over that period and frees up a return of Global Rapid Rugby (or an expanded copmpetition including Japan) in the Asia-Pacific region in 2024.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pleased that it's only 2 years.
Recognises that Covid 19 will still be with us over that period and frees up a return of Global Rapid Rugby (or an expanded copmpetition including Japan) in the Asia-Pacific region in 2024.
Where does it say only 2 years, I can't find it.
Like the name of Super Rugby Pacific, allows for PI, but also think that has a lot to do with what McLennan and Robinson said about trying to have a Pacific wide one with a Japan and American team joining!
Is it being run under Sanzaar's umbrella I wonder as there still no word of anyone else doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.