• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
a bit a cop out to suggest we should just get behind it, it’s easy for a kiwi to argue that when they got exactly what they wanted, and their teams will actually be the ones winning.

a bit of flexibility and compromise by New Zealand and this could be a great tournament everyone could get behind.. short sightedness
Mate everyone got what they wanted, otherwise they wouldn't of signed for it. I not sure anyone got exactly what they wanted, I know Aus got earlier start than NZR wanted, and I guessing the 8 team finals may well be an Aus idea. I really don't know why you should be any unhappier than me with what we have ended up with. You really need to swap from the victim mentallity and look at positives, we have a comp that all sides & TV want (or they wouldn't of signed for it) including a couple of teams from PIs, so think we should enjoy.
Well I will anyway, or I wouldn't watch.
can I add I would be deleriuously happy if RA then played a Super AU type comp without test players at end of year, as a way to build depth!

Last edited:

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I would be deleriuously happy if RA then played a Super AU type comp without test players at end of year, as a way to build depth!
This surely must happen - it will give us something to watch while the test players train and have a week off between tests. Right in the middle of the rugby season it all comes to a grinding halt as we go from 6 matches a weekend to roughly two matches every three weeks.

Edit: Not to mention the HP benefits

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This surely must happen - it will give us something to watch while the test players train and have a week off between tests. Right in the middle of the rugby season it all comes to a grinding halt as we go from 6 matches a weekend to roughly two matches every three weeks.

Edit: Not to mention the HP benefits
Yep and over here in NZ I would enjoy having it on too mate, I know how much I enjoy NPC and having a few more games from Aus would please me no end! And I think a great way to introduce young fellas to teams etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It ain't going to happen boys, neither in my opinion should it. the best solution if it such a big problem there is a whole world full of players, you know like the Pumas flanker (Pablo matera) that wanted to play for the Tahs and got told no thanks , you better bugger off elsewhere. Force seem to be ONLY Aussie team thats is shopping around to strengthen their side.
And as for NZR being flush, w I not sure what the probelm there is. I keep reading that NZ in here rugby can't survive without Australia's population and now I reading you upset because well actually they can make a lot more than RA, with a population of 5 mill , because maybe they see we have an international game, and just maybe it seems are run better?
And the circle goes round and round...

We should close this thread. FWIW i don't think NZR are flush, hence the desperation to sell out. I think they are just less poor than RA.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
And the circle goes round and round.

We should close this thread.
Yep, we've pretty conclusively figured out that most Australians would prefer a domestic comp and most Kiwis would prefer TT.

With the announcement of the structure for the next two years, there's not really any more to add, and it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in shifting their viewpoint to any significant degree.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, we've pretty conclusively figured out that most Australians would prefer a domestic comp and most Kiwis would prefer TT.

With the announcement of the structure for the next two years, there's not really any more to add, and it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in shifting their viewpoint to any significant degree.
Actually I would prefer a domestic NPC anyday of the week. I just realistic enough to know it's not the best for rugby in NZ or Aus. And the fact that both Rugby boards have signed for a new comp suggests I not the only one. And those in the know agree!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From Cully:

Moana Pasifika are permitted to sign three current All Blacks “effectively on secondment” from New Zealand Rugby on top of former All Blacks or Wallabies returning from overseas, New Zealand players association boss Rob Nichol has revealed.

… former Highlanders coach Aaron Mauger is a strong favourite to be unveiled as head coach, after putting significant work behind the scenes into how the new franchise would operate.

Effectively NZ running 5-and-a-half teams.

No mention of Drua …

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I can't get past top 8 of 12 teams,

Since when do professional athletes need a participation award. Surely top 6 would be enough, any team with less then 50% winning record does not deserve to play finals.
This thing is for 2 years. Have a Top 4 + also bin the extra 3 rounds in the regular season to free up space.

Use that space to play another round-robin of Super AU - therefore, full home and away.

Add a Super AU Grand Final. The Super Rugby Pasifika SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (syrup) final in Christchurch is then played as a lead-in curtain-raiser to the AU GF.

(unless one of our teams is still in the syrup, in which case bump a week)

Win-win.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Be interesting to see who Moana sign over next few weeks. I think Toutai Kefu will be one .
Canes better sign Ardie quick smart!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Be interesting to see who Moana sign over next few weeks. I think Toutai Kefu will be one .
Canes better sign Ardie quick smart!
Aaron Mauger has been tipped to get the head coaching gig:

Also looks the NZRU are going to allow them to pick up 3 current All Blacks without them sacrificing the jersey.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
And the circle goes round and round.

We should close this thread.
giphy.gif

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Can white guys play for MP (Moana Pasifika)? Struggling to see how this isnt just a 6th Super Rugby side based on racial discrimination.
I'd assumed the players would have to be qualified for a Pacific team, perhaps with a few non-qlaified marquee spots?

So if a white guy qualifies for Samoa, he could play for MP (Moana Pasifika).

Status
Not open for further replies.