• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Drua participation only made possible by Australian funding:

Fiji Rugby CEO John O’Connor:
“Quite simply, the Fijian Drua’s participation in Super Rugby Pacific would not have been possible without DFAT and PacificAus sports Programs support”

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And they'll be based in Australia next season.

Where do you think the best place to base them would be? Townsville, Mackay, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast all have quality stadiums and would be contenders. Coffs Harbour, Newcastle, Western Sydney, Illawarra all options I guess? Anywhere else?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Where do you think the best place to base them would be? Townsville, Mackay, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast all have quality stadiums and would be contenders. Coffs Harbour, Newcastle, Western Sydney, Illawarra all options I guess? Anywhere else?
Kind of go along with Adam that Townsville maybe a good fit with stadium, but probably more likely to be where there is a decent Fijian population? I know my mate in Brisbane will want then based there ;) but I suspect he will be sad!!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
if just on Fijian population then it will be Western Sydney

It depends whether you measure by Fijians with Fijian heritage, or Fijians with Indian heritage, because the majority Fijians in Australia are of Indian heritage, and culturally Fijian Indians play football more than they do rugby.

'Anecdotally' there seems to be more more players of Fijian heritage playing rugby and league in Brisbane than Sydney.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Drua participation only made possible by Australian funding:

Fiji Rugby CEO John O’Connor:
“Quite simply, the Fijian Drua’s participation in Super Rugby Pacific would not have been possible without DFAT and PacificAus sports Programs support”
And yet NZ hold the licence..... seems like a derp move

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Parra stadium is ace

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If it's QLD then somewhere in the southeast corner will be most economical from a travel perspective. Western Sydney would be great too, but I imagine the NSWRU/tahs will be pretty resistant to another pro team in sydney while they're trying to turn the rugby computer off and on again, or whatever it is they're doing to try and win a game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I still support them and will next season. Seriously though I expect some improvement. Making the finals might be a stretch but still expect improvement.
Of course you still support them, as you would and should mate! I really think there will be some kind of improvement, just from experience side the young fellas will be better.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Not in a good mood tonight the Central Coast case numbers for Cov are increasing. Many of my clients are experiencing difficult times. Still locked out of my seconds son's wedding, Cov can be a real C. My sister in law who my wife is very close lives in Brisbane and has been told she has cancer and we can't get to see her.

Client gave me a present of a bottle of JD and I have had a couple of nips. On top of a couple of glasses of Hunter Red.

I have no idea if current ongoing discussions we are having pertaining to Super Rugby is / are important to an item that aired on Ch 10 in their sports segment Friday night.

As we limit our teams to five, I will get this wrong as they have spilt, but the new body that runs professional football in Australia, just announced an expansion of three (3) teams to the W-League and a big expansion in the finals format for the W-League.

The total then is 12 A-L teams and 13 W-L teams, with all A-L teams having a W-L side as well. How its paid for god only knows, whether football is sucking up to those wanting a growth in womens places, who knows.

The simple answer is football now has 25 national teams, AFL has I think 28 teams with 10 female teams and league expanding to 22 teams with 6 female teams, and in talks to add two teams, suggestions are second Brisbane and Perth or Wellington.

I can say this because I have experienced it, before the Mariners no one on the Coast gave a Frenchmen's fuck about football / soccer. If interested it was what side you followed in the EPL either Man U or Liverpool. Today there is a real interest in the Mariners regardless of if you follow football or not. They are our team and an AFL rusted on hard core client follows the Mariners.

Today I went to work to pick up some files to bring home to work on. Another bloke that works there in a different business had his three daughters ( all under my guess 14) with him and they could not stop talking about the Coast having a W-L team.

So my experience there is the entire under say 25 Coastal community who have some support / feel or whatever you wanta call it for the Mariners and thereby football, giving them an extended interest in national teams as Mariner juniors move into national sides.

Rugby, and maybe its the JD talking has SFA local interest especially in the under 25 population, who have not had any real rugby experience. As a matter of interest league normally play a handful of games on the Coast and always give us a finals match.

Maybe it means nothing but HTF do they do it and why can't rugby.

Then again maybe the Eastern Sydney boys don't consider the Coast important as maybe we are Penrith by the sea.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not in a good mood tonight the Central Coast case numbers for Cov are increasing. Many of my clients are experiencing difficult times. Still locked out of my seconds son's wedding, Cov can be a real C. My sister in law who my wife is very close lives in Brisbane and has been told she has cancer and we can't get to see her.
Sorry to hear that mate. Life's a cnut.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kinda hard to get excited about super rugby next year and having to play more kiwi teams all the time.

Taking the piss? Or genuine?

I won't be watching the Kiwi games, other than when they are up against the Reds. I'll watch the Aus derbies for sure. I'll count Drua as an Aus team. And I'll have a passing interest in MP (Moana Pasifika) if they shape up. I don't expect to follow my sport through to the finals. Weird that I can say that months before the season starts.

The lack of a Aussie championship is simply stupid. Apparently "NZ" now means "Pacific". It's the only way I can understand this comp.

In the mean time Thorn, who always wanted this bag of shit, now needs to front up. No more excuses. The time for his bull shit is over.

And if he does, I may even reconsider my thoughts on NZ-Super, sorry Pacific Super.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Should be own comp first, then look further. RAs externally commissioned report told them similar some years back.

Reckon they can see it but just not (quite) reach it.

But y'never know. Jurisdictions could still be shut out of NZ yet, meaning closer to home options return.

Status
Not open for further replies.