• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
I really hope that this discussion doesn't turn into an interstate bashing exercise. None of us like that this is happening.

I certainly won't be getting stuck into the Rebels as I would have rather that all of us stayed.

Can only speak for myself.

While I want the Rebels to stay so I have a team to go watch, if they choose the Force to stay, I certainly won't have any bone to pick or chip with any Force fans or the Force themselves. I have nothing but good will there.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I acknowledged it. Then i proved he was wrong in his assumptions.

But no, this isn't about state v state at all is it?

I think your post has just highlighted perfectly what i was talking about.

I clearly have bias, just like anyone would. But i don't see anything constructive to come from waffling on about 'mines bigger than yours, because i said so'. Both sides have plenty of positives to talk about as a form of argument than shit canning everything and anything, factual or not, about the opposition.

If the Force are to stay, i am happy to back them. I'd rather not have egg on my face stabbing an entity if they end up surviving. As an Australian rugby supporter first and foremost, how could i support them then if i did? Your anger is best directed at the ones who created this mess, not the ones who are victims of it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, their problems are certainly much more than rugby. :(

Seems that politics may get in the way again, I am reading talk that the Kings may stay in, meaning that the two Afrikaner Highveld teams, the Cheetahs and (would you believe) the Bulls may be the ones to go.

Lol. The only SA team to win the comp :)

It is not beyond the realms of possibility. Not at all.

I predict a doomed merger of some sorts, hastily cobbled together by the SARU janitor (the only person in the entire organization who actually works for a living).

Meerkats, Baboons whatever.

The Northern Warthogs would be my pick. They make an awful squealing sound that would sound great over loudspeakers.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lol. The only SA team to win the comp :)

It is not beyond the realms of possibility. Not at all.

I predict a doomed merger of some sorts, hastily cobbled together by the SARU janitor (the only person in the entire organization who actually works for a living).

Meerkats, Baboons whatever.

The Northern Warthogs would be my pick. They make an awful squealing sound that would sound great over loudspeakers.

:D haha.

This post is gold

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A couple of random thoughts,

1) Melbourne is the last team in and the weakest and IMO the team to be cut if one must go. (and reading this thread that is the popular opinion). But in its favor is its time zone and the size of the sport loving city and potential market.

2) The whole process would be so much easier if NZ were also giving up a team.

3) So what about creating MELBOURNE-WAIKATO (Chiefs) and playing this team in NZ conference. So basically a NZ/AU/PI Melbourne based team (perhaps a few home games played back home or even an odd one played in Hobart)

4) SA still have to give up 2 teams and take in the Jaquares to make 5. Sunwolves play in the AU conference.

This way NZ give up a team, but not really as is just relocating. The city of Melbourne continue to have a Super rugby presence.

The Force Survive.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Surely now that the Sunwolves are in the Australian conference there is no need for games in Sinagpore?
Will still play 4 games against SA conf, so 2 'home' games.

I also don't understand why Foxtel didn't put it's foot down in respect of its wishes (given it seemingly had to agree).

Or in the timing of SA v East Coast Aus teams. Force all those games (at this time of year) to be a 1.30pm kickoff (which is 9.30pm AEST time).

Get substantially better audience and allow a 3-game Sat evening (5.30 from NZ, 7.30 from Oz and 9.30 from SA)

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This way NZ give up a team, but not really as is just relocating. The city of Melbourne continue to have a Super rugby presence..

No way NZ will give up a team.. And you'd like to make their existing teams stronger..

I'd actually prefer to see SA give up one and NZ add one - put Jaguars in SA conf and you have 3x6

Maybe combination of Northland/North Harbour (north of Auckland) (both have 25-30k stadiums)

Although the Kiwis would be complaining about playing each other and diluting the Cup

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Bloos are struggling already & you wanna take ~20% of their catchment off them? Even a One-eyed Cantab can see that's just nuts.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I can't be bothered but if anyone has the time it'd be awesome to see the starting 23s of the Waratahs, Reds, Brumbies, Force / Rebels next year given the Rebels / Force are cut.

Will there even be a considerable difference in quality of the sides?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Best team
1. Salesi Ma’Afu
2. Nathan Charles
3. Pek Cowan
4. Sam Wykes
5. Hugh McMeniman
6. Matt Hodgson
7. Chris Alcock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Sias Eberson
11. Nick Cummings
12. Winston Stanley
13. Will Tupou
14. Alfie Mafi
15. Patrick Dellit

16. Ben Whitaker
17. Kieran Longbottom
18. Toby Lynn
19. Lachlan McCaffrey
20. Brett Sheenan
21. Sam Norton-Knight
22. Jayden Hayward

Other Squad
23. Tetera Faulkner
24. Phoenix Battye
25. Angus Cottrell
26. Richard Brown
27. Chris Tuatara-Morrison
28. Kyle Godwin
29. Ed Stubbs
30. Junior Rasolea

For those saying the rebels haven't produced enough talent after 6 years. Here is the forces team in their 6th year. Some good players here, but it's only fair to evaluate both under the same circumstances. The force have come a long way since then, but any comparison of nurturing players and seeing the fruits of pathways given a reasonable extended period needs to be put into the right context

I haven't done the figures on who in the team is a genuine wa product vs the rebels current squad.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
So it's not good enough to fuck up Australian rugby, the ARU needed to watch both the Rebels and Force fans and media fight it out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.