• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The point about the Shute Shield is that it is being televised (nationally? Or just in the Eastern States).

Without anything on FTA we are totally invisible to most of the sporting population. Having the SS on at least gives us a window into the game. Not to mention the fact that it is actually pretty good to watch, and not all that difficult to understand, compared to the Soup. Plus it contains genuine teams and real rivalries. Unlike the NRC.

We need to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am happy with concepts of build from bottom up but to suggest we just rely on shute shield with no professional opportunities will not support grass roots. We have more pi players involved because of more pro opportunities created since moving to professional era from.amateur era but still not enough to stop league killing it in this market for talent.

Unaccustomed as I am to reporting good news - a number of inner west rusted on league juniors have apparently become so sick of the politicking in their code of choice that they joined local RU clubs - Hunters Hill and West Harbour, I hear.
Perhaps David Attenborough should do a show on them as rugby recruits from league at this level are rarely seen in the wild.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
After the super league war the nrl from a governance perspective emerged stronger. Maybe we need our own super league war to go backwards before we can go forwards.

I also think expectation that Fox sports could be our saviour is misguided as they support rugby as they want to position themselves to support niche sports and more interested in other codes like nrl and Afl.

I guess that's the problem that whilst we dream of rich benefactors or the murdochs of the world riding into save us the chances of that happening seems just so unlikely given how fractured and political the oz Rugby landscape is.

I think in other words I am accepting rugby is screwed and would need a miracle to turn rugby around in this country as there are no white knights riding in to save us.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Things that we could do that are within our control.

Firstly, call a crisis meeting with Fox Sports. Explain to them that to a large extent the future of the game depends on them. They absolutely have to do something about the quality of their commentators. People like Clark have to understand that the big challenge is to make the game intelligible to the casual viewer (on the heroic assumption that some will tune in, and that if they actually understand what is happening, they might stay).

Stop all the meaningless statistics. Who cares how many times, how often, what the referee's mother's maiden name is, etc etc. Start telling people what they do not know. They do not need to be told what they can see with their own eyes, but the inexperienced viewer does need to be told what is happening. At the breakdown in particular. But also in the scrum and the lineout.

It might grate on the experienced viewer, but it is also important to keep telling the new viewer where each franchise comes from.

Tell Fox Sports that they need to start cross-promoting the Shute Shield telecast. And any other stray rugby on other channels.

Talking of the Shute Shield, it is now apparent that it should be getting more promotion generally. It is good, attractive, rugby most of the time. We need to start leveraging off it. Forget all the petty jealousies, and local resentment, this competition is worth all of us pushing.

In terms of potential audience appeal, it beats the NRC hands-down. Not least because it lasts a lot longer, but also because it is built on traditional rivalries. And traditional rivalries are not essential, but they help an awful lot.

Frankly, the missus and I watch every Shute Shield game through, live. I cannot remember the last time we watched a Soup game through, from beginning to end. And certainly not live. We always record it and watch it on replay.

Okay, we are a sample size of 2. But I wonder how many other rugby tragics (not to mention the huge number of potential and actual viewers that are not rusted on) feel similarly.
Couple of things.
It's Gordon Bray not Clarke,that delights in telling viewers inane details of players backgrounds. Does Bray still commentate?

Secondly, how Fox actually do their telecasts,and what they choose to cross promote is entirely outside of the ARU's control....

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pity you've formed such a negative view of SS. Get yourself down to Manly Oval one Saturday.:)

In the meantime, you can use the subbies website to find out where Balmain and/or Drummoyne are playing.:)

http://rugbyresults.rugby.net.au/drawresult.asp?id=274170&seasonid=431

Thanks for that. If I enjoy next Saturday it could be one of those life changing moments. I'm close to having had the jack with pro-rugby in Aus. Not quite, but it's time to look at alternatives.

Re my negative attitude to SRU. It is that, I'm not negative to the players and teams as such. As much as I am turning my nose to the stench of the ARU, I really object to the public statements and determined civil war from Papworth, Begg, Dwyer, Poido etc.

I have no doubt that the ARU needs to re-address their relationship with the SRU, who do have importance in Aus rugby. But they are not the centre of rugby, and should not be treated like that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The point about the Shute Shield is that it is being televised (nationally? Or just in the Eastern States).

Without anything on FTA we are totally invisible to most of the sporting population. Having the SS on at least gives us a window into the game. Not to mention the fact that it is actually pretty good to watch, and not all that difficult to understand, compared to the Soup. Plus it contains genuine teams and real rivalries. Unlike the NRC.

Yes agree with that positive 're on fta

I like the idea of a semi pro national comp that could longer term grow into our professional domestic comp. I enjoy the Nrc and has got better and don't think quality of football is the issue but rather getting rusted on prepare to watch it or give it a chance. And accept reasons you outline why not happened. I would be more than open to a different semi pro format if that would get more fans to games. Whether that be top teams join from shute shield or premier rugby etc and have relegation/ promotion System or whatever would work.

But shute shield is not going to be our professional national comp and I want to watch more than amateur club rugby or otherwise I go back to the nrl, Afl or a_league.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Cox outright refuses to sell, and the Force have an Iron Clad legal case (as is being suggested in the most recent articles) the Brumbies will need to go, or the ARU get sued by SANZAAR.

Clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Cox selling is the only way for him to finish up in a nil $um game - unless he has concrete representations as to the franchise turning a profit: If he refuses to sell and trades on then his losses are due to refusing to sell and not the original representation. (roughly and logically speaking - in the absence of transparency its hard to be sure, I concede)
You're overlooked the small issue that the ARU already said the Brumbies were not on the block: that gives them case too - and there are no doubt many other earlier statements that did not come out on which they could sue.
What is the next level up from a clusterfuck of epic proportions? Assuming the title has not been claimed I think, fro now on, the highest level of clusterfuck should one called a Clusterfuck of ARU proportions™

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Unfortunately, I can see the odds of the Brumbies/Rebels merger shortening quite alarmingly, with Cox to be offered the license for the Brumbies and the Rebels being culled in name at least. Some sort of bastardised arrangement where the amalgamated side plays some home games in each centre until 2020 when something new can be tried. Probably the worst outcome of all (from my viewpoint at least) but it's starting to look like the only possible solution to the hole the ARU are now in.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's filibustering to the media as a businessman looking to get the best deal. And if that's all it was, I'd think it was us that would get the chop, it would just cost the ARU a lot of cash and dignity.

But he's gone and told the playing and coaching group that he will not sell. That's a different kettle of fish.

Regardless of what happens, the whole process is and has been a negative for Australian Rugby, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

L

Leo86

If your asking if Shute Shield is being televised nationally then the answer is No, if your saying it should be to make rugby visible then maybe,. Pros being yes the game gets coverage, but how do i support a comp that i would never see a live game or feel in anyway connected to a team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe it's not for you, but it might be a window in the game for some people who just do not watch it anywhere else.

Better than nothing, I would have thought.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Unfortunately, I can see the odds of the Brumbies/Rebels merger shortening quite alarmingly, with Cox to be offered the license for the Brumbies and the Rebels being culled in name at least. Some sort of bastardised arrangement where the amalgamated side plays some home games in each centre until 2020 when something new can be tried. Probably the worst outcome of all (from my viewpoint at least) but it's starting to look like the only possible solution to the hole the ARU are now in.

You see, that sounds like it'd have awful results too. Cox could quite reasonably demand:

The right to retain any player for either the Brumbies or the Rebels beyond 2017.

The ARU is to provide pay outs or alternate squad places for any contracted player Cox doesn't want to retain.

A 6-2 split of Games Melbourne-Canberra to keep the side based in the best city for financial/business purposes, alienating would be ACT/Regional NSW supporters.

No retention of the Vikings/ACT U20s, or alternatively, obliging the ARU to provide total (or near total) funding for Coaches, Scouts, players etc. For these teams to continue existing.

Demanding more Internationals on top of all that and hence depriving some very good/high potential players necessary gametime.

Chaos everywhere you look, and the loser is Australian Rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There's filibustering to the media as a businessman looking to get the best deal. And if that's all it was, I'd think it was us that would get the chop, it would just cost the ARU a lot of cash and dignity.

But he's gone and told the playing and coaching group that he will not sell. That's a different kettle of fish.

Regardless of what happens, the whole process is and has been a negative for Australian Rugby, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Of course he has told the playing group he's not selling.
Otherwise he just cops whatever morsels the ARU throw at him.
But, he has to have no respect for money, if he doesn't bash up the ARU for a big payout & walk away.
His business is leaking money and the business model is totally reliant upon an inept organisation, that has total discretion about what funds they provide him after 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.