• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Seriously?

That had to be one of the strangest suggestions I've read yet. Not only are SANZAAR going to let us just play amongst ourselves but they will also move the TRC to suit us, there may or may not be a Pacific Island team and the broadcasters are going to be happy.

Makes sense? No, not even a little bit.

A bit of lateral thinking is worth a helluva lot more than the never-ending river of complaints against the ARU, Bill Pulver, the media, etc etc.

Not a little bit more. A bloody lot more. If you disagree with the suggestion, fine. Make one of your own. But make it a bit creative, which is what Joe King did. Sometimes a wild left field idea can transmogrify into something new and wonderful.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
The ARU (and SA) seems to be trying to correct a mistake they made by expanding the number of Australian teams in Super Rugby which is killing interest in not just AUS rugby but in the whole comp.

Wasn't able to do the BOLD thing so just cut this out. For me the expansion to Super15 worked OK. The real shemozzle came about with the inclusion of 3 extra teams mainly Japan & Argentina. It became too complicated & unwieldy which I think is the real reason people have lost interest. Reducing the comp to 15 and continuing to include Japan & Argentina will be like putting a bandaid on a cut throat.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ARU (and SA) seems to be trying to correct a mistake they made by expanding the number of Australian teams in Super Rugby which is killing interest in not just AUS rugby but in the whole comp but so many people here just want to break away and do your own comp. With the same players that are getting you the crappy rugby results you've endured for the last 2 years at least. Some are even wanting a comp played by different rules than the rest of the world will be playing by. How shit of a Wallaby team do you want?!

What do the kiwis want?
Oz rugby is broken at all levels and needs a reset very badly.
This is a problem as big as all the other times NZ has bailed out rugby in Oz: 79 Bledisloe - my understanding is that they played the lone test for the Bledisloe and supplied us with jerseys in order to get some money into the game here- & 1930s, IIRC.

M

Moono75

Wasn't able to do the BOLD thing so just cut this out. For me the expansion to Super15 worked OK. The real shemozzle came about with the inclusion of 3 extra teams mainly Japan & Argentina. It became too complicated & unwieldy which I think is the real reason people have lost interest. Reducing the comp to 15 and continuing to include Japan & Argentina will be like putting a bandaid on a cut throat.
I agree. 15 was fine but it should be 5 each OZ, SA & NZ. The Sunwolves and Jaguars should be doing their own thing but not in Super Rugby at the expense of the original participants.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's paywalled but google "ARU needs to be overhauled after this Super Rugby fiasco" & prepare to be gob-smacked....

You post on an oz rugby website and you read a paper called the Australian - were you expelled from NZ for un-NZ activities?
Anyway my first gobsmacking occurred one paragraph in:
If chief executive Bill Pulver and deputy chairman Brett Robinson
Robinson is a doctor - was he there in case Bill fell ill?
It now seems that the ARU had not "legalled" the Force situation - I'm wondering if they even got legal advice when buying back the licence: what possible bargaining power did the force have to demand a clause which included them in the comp until 2020.
Most importantly: why would the Deputy Chairman go to such an important frigging meeting?
Surely Clyne needed to be there for his "peace in our time" moment?
There is no detail in this yarn which does not, upon its emergence, paint the ARU in a worse light.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Robinson is a doctor - was he there in case Bill fell ill?
It now seems that the ARU had not "legalled" the Force situation - I'm wondering if they even got legal advice when buying back the licence: what possible bargaining power did the force have to demand a clause which included them in the comp until 2020.
Most importantly: why would the Deputy Chairman go to such an important frigging meeting?
There is no detail in this yarn which does not, upon its emergence, paint the ARU in a worse light.

he's the World Rugby delegate for the ARU I believe. Was there for the World Rugby meeting on the 2023 RWC.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
he's the World Rugby delegate for the ARU I believe. Was there for the World Rugby meeting on the 2023 RWC.

And despite Qantas being the Wallabies major sponsor they couldn't afford to send the head honcho??
Seriously?
M J Hawker and his world wide search for the next CEO. FFS.
If the reason Clyne didn't go was cost then they may be judgment proof even if they are sued: maybe there is a strategy........

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What do the kiwis want?
Oz rugby is broken at all levels and needs a reset very badly.
This is a problem as big as all the other times NZ has bailed out rugby in Oz: 79 Bledisloe - my understanding is that they played the lone test for the Bledisloe and supplied us with jerseys in order to get some money into the game here- & 1930s, IIRC.
The cynic in me thinks the Kiwi's would be happy to maintain the status quo while it works to their advantage. The idea that they need strong competition from us and the Saffers to keep ahead of the pack has quite frankly been blown away the past 2 years. While we stagnate or regress they continue improve. And while they are surrounded by the mystical aura that is NZ Rugby (which is justified) they will continue to hold all of the cards. No one is talking about SA and Aus dropping the kiwis and going it alone.

And while they hold all the cards but have no motivation to play any of them Super Rugby will continue as it is.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Clyne is essentially a part-time retiree at the ripe old age of 49.

He clocks in flexitime boardroom gigs and has decided to put family time before company time.

The former NAB boss struck an arrangement with Robinson that gave the former Brumbies captain the duties of attending all overseas meetings.

And now it's time for Clyne to retire from Australian Rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The former NAB boss struck an arrangement with Robinson that gave the former Brumbies captain the duties of attending all overseas meetings.

And now it's time for Clyne to retire from Australian Rugby.

That pisses me off - its shit like telling the force youre goneski which the chairman has to do

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Lots of us can see the past. Very few can forecast the future.
Cmon, you don't need a crystal ball, or a law degree, to know when you make commitments in writing,you shouldn't then make plans contrary to what you have agreed to.

Its corporate arse covering 101, before you go to London, you double check with the lawyers that you can use the nuclear option on one or both of these franchises.

Seriously, as if no one could have seen this coming......

Status
Not open for further replies.