• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
How could they review the finances as some reports and documents are covered by Supreme Court Suppression Orders?

Or did they only look at the finances since the payout of the last CEO that shows, Zero tangible assets, zero debt currently, a massive forward payment on a depreciating asset which they do not own, but have to exist to make use of.....

Nothing to see here... Its local lib and labor politics so the AFP off loaded the as a political issues and sent it to ASIC for final review... As I understand...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Nothing to see here. Its local lib and labor politics so the AFP off loaded the as a political issues and sent it to ASIC for final review. As I understand.

Plenty to see actually, just that its corporate and ACT Government accountability legislation not criminal. If your a ACT tax payer and not pissed off about the waver on the tax that cost the public millions......:rolleyes:

Even the Canberra Times have reported that their FOI's have been fobbed off at times and still not fulfilled by the current government.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Plenty to see actually, just that its corporate and ACT Government accountability legislation not criminal. If your a ACT tax payer and not pissed off about the waver on the tax that cost the public millions..:rolleyes:

Even the Canberra Times have reported that their FOI's have been fobbed off at times and still not fulfilled by the current government.

Not so unusual for a local government to support or trasfer property to a sporting club... Look at Ballymore

T

TOCC

IMHO if you are going to go down the criteria line than I think its fair to actually consider and examine the criteria and its relevancy to the issues.

Bottom line is that the consideration around cutting a Super Rugby team is wholly about Super Rugby, nothing more or less. This is about attendance, rating, support base and economic viability.

When it comes to cultural reform, based on the economic situation Rugby finds itself in it is arguable that the two powerhouse unions would benefit the most from reforms that could potentially yield better results for the game overall. Willingness to change in Rugby is like Trump and reality. They don't go together and unlikely they ever will.

As far as opportunities, VIC, ACT, and WA are far more dependant on their Super Rugby franchise to support their grassroots and competitions unlike both NSW and QLD who have competitions that are far less, if at all reliant on the Super Rugby franchises and would continue largely unaffected below Super Rugby and could still feed Super Rugby teams and have NRC teams.

Lets be honest, the criteria is a joke. The simple equation is this. If the ARU cut one franchise they get more home derbies and it yield a higher financial return via ratings and gate takings. on top of the saving from financially supporting one less franchise. Its all banker wanker stuff - savings; its the easy way out as we cant find any way to generate sufficient income without any risk or work.

I think you've misinterpreted the term 'opportunity cost', it refers to the implicit costs of cutting a team

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not sure how long the Force can pospone meeting the ARU.
The force called the meeting last week.... The ARU have refused to come to the table. The ARU have also been invited to the match on Saturday to conduct talks and watch the match, again the Force have not heard anything from the ARU. The force are happy to meet the evil overlords to discuss the merger of the Rebels and Brumbies and their on going alliance with the ARU following their agreement last August ;)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
The current Management and Board has no credibility. They don't seem to be able to make the simplest of decisions, imo they are dysfunctional and should hand in their passes to the trough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am now lost to the game will more than likely make this my last post. I will go along to Woy Woy oval and watch some games but that’s it for me.

I will join the many others who over the last 60 years have moved to other codes. Given the wife and her playing of soccer, it’s were I will probably finish up.

Bye all for the foreseeable future and the best of luck with your rugby desires.

In closing good luck with getting a new body off the ground, you need a Frank Lowy or similar, maybe Alan Jones has the interest of the game at heart and has arguably the ability to set up a new group. But you will need a well know leader.

Again good luck.

Sad to see you go half. Unfortunately for rugby many like you have chosen to leave the game completely or have lost all interest in the professional part of the game.

Ove the past couple of weeks I've had the chance to chat to quite a few old rugby mates and despair and frustration are the common theme amongst those who are still even interested. Most have zero interest in the Waratahs and follow the Wallabies because they are the national team (but don't go to tests anymore). Their interest in rugby is restricted mainly to their local grade or subbies club.

Of those that have kids, around half (no pun intended) their kids play rugby, while the rest play league, union or soccer.

What's also noticeable is that there are virtually no young people at Waratahs games, but you go to Manly Oval or Rat Park and there are kids everywhere kicking footballs around and/or watching the match.

You were probably the first to recognise that super rugby was a doomed model in the Australian context. There's many more of us on board now - in no small part because of your contributions. Sadly, I think that those running the game will keep us locked into the super rugby scene and the game in Australia will continue its decline. Cutting a team won't solve any problems - we should be cutting all five.

Hope your team down at Woy Woy keeps the fire burning for you.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can someone get a relative to pop over and check in on the ARU? It's been so long since anybody heard from them I'm concerned they've slipped in the tub and can't get up.

You obviously haven't seen the underground bunker built beneath their new palatial headquarters.

b20f34e9f19162c9cf2931aaae346114.jpg

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can someone get a relative to pop over and check in on the ARU? It's been so long since anybody heard from them I'm concerned they've slipped in the tub and can't get up.

That is very noble of you to be concerned. I would be praying that they get up and slip again and gouge themselves on the soap dish on the way down.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you've misinterpreted the term 'opportunity cost', it refers to the implicit costs of cutting a team

No sorry, I chose to ignore it; its not my area of expertise, There is no intended misrepresentation. It is why I did not use the exact term nor directly addressed it. I possibly should have clarified that better or indicated that it was not a direct response to that particular criteria or that part of your post.

I would love to have seen the opportunity cost for the ARU 3 months ago and what it would be today though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nothing to see here. Its local lib and labor politics so the AFP off loaded the as a political issues and sent it to ASIC for final review. As I understand.

Yes nothing to see there, Suppression orders, non-disclosure clauses on a Corporate investigation called by a CEO because he was bound to by Corporations Law on finding "irregularities". Such report was then referred to Police which indicates serious concerns regarding breach of Criminal Law. Then the Brumbies sought said Suppression Order and nobody now knows what was actually in the report.

Now AFP and ASIC do two massively different functions - ASIC is in Commonwealth Corporations Law/Regs which are not the province of the AFP and as such will not be getting referrals from the AFP for "review". Make no mistake any such referral is one for actual investigation in that area and does not preclude the AFP continuing their investigations concurrently.

Regardless even though the Brumbies would like this to remain swept under the carpet, said rug is bulging with the shit under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.