• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is the "running track" on top of the new ARU facility at Moore Park actually a helipad?

22gialongstreet.gif

Is that Pulver and Kline jostling to be first in the helicopter?:)

As rugby supporters break down the gates to overthrown the regime.

That's Gnostic and I sitting on the front of the tank, Reds Happy on top and half is inside in the driver's seat.

aYKGBgo.jpg

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just received the RUPA media release.

Today’s RUPA Board decision is consistent with RUPA’s vehement and public opposition to any reduction to the number of Australian Super Rugby teams which began at first suggestions that the ARU might jettison a team. RUPA has presented various competition models to the ARU for consideration by SANZAAR which support the retention of all five teams.

B

BLR

Didn't RUPA say way back when (before the almighty Force fightback occured) that they would support a cut on the basis that top ups were added back to make higher salary caps Australia wide?

I would say they are flip flopping after realising the the ARU's play at paying them off in the end is turning them into the bad guys as well.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Sure smells like a money issue to me.
He, it seems hasn't even approached the Vic Govt.
He must know that even if he can get a Govt sponsorship he is still going to be out of too much money to bother continuing.
The size of the ARU offer is probably a small lotto win for him in what was looking to be cascading into a financial disaster.
Hard to know but he sure isn't giving off any positive signals. I doubt the ARU would have put a figure on the table unless they knew something or had already spoken to him.

You read into it what you want. You obviously have a bias towards hoping he sells and will take anything which supports that as the truth and anything else as being incorrect. I'm a Rebels supporter, so I do the complete opposite.

So, I think that an attributed source (Turiniui) saying that he heard Cox first hand say that the Rebels are safe and that he would never sell the club to see it closed down is positive news for the Rebels and worth more than unattributed rumors that he is looking at selling at a certain price.

If I were the ARU, I'd be wanting to get rid of the private ownership whatever happens as I think they have realised that it causes problems with regards to their target operating model.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I were the ARU, I'd be wanting to get rid of the private ownership whatever happens as I think they have realised that it causes problems with regards to their target operating model.

It seems the ARU are all for private ownership, they no longer own the ACT NRC team. Would be a far less complicated deal but it seems they are looking to increase the private ownership rather then reduce.

Has Fox Sports got a official stance on the whole situation? They had the opportunity to say no to chopping a side and we have heard nothing from them.

B

BLR

It seems the ARU are all for private ownership, they no longer own the ACT NRC team. Would be a far less complicated deal but it seems they are looking to increase the private ownership rather then reduce.

Wasn't that the Brumbies? The ARU started the Alliance with the Force with the view to centralise rugby AFTER starting the deal with Cox.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Didn't RUPA say way back when (before the almighty Force fightback occured) that they would support a cut on the basis that top ups were added back to make higher salary caps Australia wide?
I would say they are flip flopping after realising the the ARU's play at paying them off in the end is turning them into the bad guys as well.

I think they have listened to Turinui's rant that this uncertainty is having a serious impact on the mental health of the players.

Mental health is not something you really want to stuff around with.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Murdoch couldn't get TV rights so he started super league. Only way to break their old boy ways - Arthurson et al
he should just start a rival union code in Oz - only way to get rid of the leather patched elbows etc.

Rupert was instrumental in the game going pro, I am pretty sure.

But there is no way that anybody would start a rival code, unless it is under a new rule book. And has nothing at all to do with Whirled Rugby. That's the leather patch factory, old chap. We are just bystanders.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Has Fox Sports got a official stance on the whole situation? They had the opportunity to say no to chopping a side and we have heard nothing from them.
Someone's got to make up the difference between what it costs to be competitive and what a super rugby team generates. The more private owners taking on that burden the more that can be spent on grass roots/Izzy/champers/first class tickets.

In theory anyway

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
they have one?
can you share?

It is very simple. I posted it in the Rebels thread

Drop the Rebels now and move the Western Force to be the Western Sydney Force. Wait a couple of years for the Brumbies to go completely bankrupt and then they can be dropped and moved to North Shore Sydney with the Waratahs becoming Eastern Sydney.

Still to do: Work out how to get rid of the Reds so that South Sydney can have a team ..

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

It is very simple. I posted it in the Rebels thread

Drop the Rebels now and move the Western Force to be the Western Sydney Force. Wait a couple of years for the Brumbies to go completely bankrupt and then they can be dropped and moved to North Shore Sydney with the Waratahs becoming Eastern Sydney.

Still to do: Work out how to get rid of the Reds so that South Sydney can have a team ..
Would probably be more succesful than the current model ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
You read into it what you want. You obviously have a bias towards hoping he sells and will take anything which supports that as the truth and anything else as being incorrect. I'm a Rebels supporter, so I do the complete opposite.

So, I think that an attributed source (Turiniui) saying that he heard Cox first hand say that the Rebels are safe and that he would never sell the club to see it closed down is positive news for the Rebels and worth more than unattributed rumors that he is looking at selling at a certain price.

Fair comment, but all I'm trying to do is read the tea leaves. Also all I want is an open and fair analysis on whether we actually need to drop a team and if so then all teams treated equally in the decision/choice.

I think Mr Cox is in a very difficult position, he either continues on for now losing some millions every year until he can extract himself in a way seen as not detrimental to the club and its supporters. Outcome being several difficult years and several millions lost.
Or exit now with no loss plus several mill in his hip pocket but with the risk of being seen in a poor light. Outcome a tidy profit, most people will forget in a year, won't effect business as money talks, can say what he wants re the negotiations and has had en enjoyable few stress free years. Then invest in the community some other way down the track if he feels the need.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One of today's best statements, herewith extracted media comment (news.com.au) re the RUPA statement and from Xenos' actual statement (my emphasis):

"Amid reports the ARU are negotiating with Melbourne Rebels owner Andrew Cox about buying his licence back and shutting the franchise down, Xenos said that option didn’t line up with the ARU’s narrative about the financial problems the game is facing.
“Axing an Australian team and disenfranchising a Rugby community was justified five weeks ago by the ARU based on financial savings,” Xenos said.
“Now, anywhere between six to ten million dollars promised to be invested into the game, including at the grassroots level, could be burned so that the ARU can cull a team and save face around the SANZAAR table.
“Why are we are cutting a team at all and limiting Australian Rugby’s future if there are such discretionary funds within the game that ARU can afford to buy a license, only to scrunch it up and throw it away?”
Where is the 'Like' button for that common sense and simple business wisdom?

I find it staggering and beyond belief that the ARU can allegedly find $6m in cash _just to close a franchise_ when for years we have heard of its poverty, 'no funds for investment' etc, etc.

Plus the related close down costs which, when discussing the actual creditor, player contracts pay-outs, and such like close-down costs for the Force, this figure was put at not far off $5m-$6m on its own.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is that Pulver and Kline jostling to be first in the helicopter?:)

As rugby supporters break down the gates to overthrown the regime.

That's Gnostic and I sitting on the front of the tank, Reds Happy on top and half is inside in the driver's seat.

aYKGBgo.jpg

Even more apt is that, having been to that ex-Presidential Palace in Ho Chi Minh City, these entering tanks are still there in place in the Palace grounds, since 1975.

So our objective in thrusting through the front gates of St Leonards should be permanent occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.