• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
Assuming you are correct then the entire competition seems untenable and we should have a trans-tasman only competition.

Additionally, i can see no reason why player contracts and funding can't still be sourced from the national unions to keep the best players for their respective Super teams. They just don't make the decisions on how it's spent.

Having said that i think the idea of the national team being the absolute pinnacle of a sport is long dead and not a viable model anymore. All the biggest commercial sports are club based. NFL, EPL, NBL etc. Even domestic league's in cricket are starting to eclipse the national game. Look at the IPL.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Before any major surgery's agreed to I'd recommend the following changes for next year:
This current two conference/four group setup's a dog's breakfast. Trying to tack a (weak) Japanese team on to the Saffers lot looks sillier and sillier as time goes on. There is some merit in having a Japanese side in some sort of higher level pro competition than their domestic setup, but the Japs have to work that out for themselves. What about an east Asian comp with South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore? Get AliBaba to rustle up a couple of sides in China perhaps. Japan isn't part of SANZAAR, it's not our remit to develop their rugby. However, Argentina is. In the medium term we should encourage a second team in South America (Montevideo perhaps?) with the the proviso the two SAm teams are always in the same group, ie, opponents travel to SAm every second year but play two matches when they do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^
Assuming you are correct then the entire competition seems untenable and we should have a trans-tasman only competition.

Additionally, i can see no reason why player contracts and funding can't still be sourced from the national unions to keep the best players for their respective Super teams. They just don't make the decisions on how it's spent.

Having said that i think the idea of the national team being the absolute pinnacle of a sport is long dead and not a viable model anymore. All the biggest commercial sports are club based. NFL, EPL, NBL etc. Even domestic league's in cricket are starting to eclipse the national game. Look at the IPL.

In relation to player contracts, how it's spent is important and those needs are different for the national team versus the Super Rugby team because the same positions are most important to each.

It doesn't help the Wallabies if the 25 highest players in Australian rugby only cover 5 or 6 positions because that is what is most important to each side.

The international game is still by far the biggest revenue generator for the SANZAAR countries and I'm pretty sure most or all of the Northern Hemisphere unions. In most cases by a long way. Whilst it would be good for that reliance on the international game to decrease you can't just decide that is going to happen because you don't get to move the revenue from one to the other.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I had a crack at her on twitter after she RT'd the last unsubstantiated rumour out of South Africa. She's in the dark too, which is unique.

She is feeding the hysteria, trash journalism 101. At least once rugby is gone completely from Australia she can get a job with TMZ

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The international game is still by far the biggest revenue generator for the SANZAAR countries and I'm pretty sure most or all of the Northern Hemisphere unions. In most cases by a long way. Whilst it would be good for that reliance on the international game to decrease you can't just decide that is going to happen because you don't get to move the revenue from one to the other.

It's not a decision though, its anticipation of a future trend. Deep down in our ugly, black, rugby-loving souls we all know that European money will, sooner or later, turn rugby into some glorified marketing machine. Mourad Boudjellal is trying his hardest to turn Toulon into the Real Madrid of rugby.

The aim of the game is to make Super Rugby, which by all rights should already be the premier club competition, into the league that generates the most interest and the most money. Wallabies can only benefit from this.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Is retweeting an article from a South African rugby journo any different from one from NZ or Australia or elsewhere?

Pretty much every article about this has contained unsubstantiated rumours including the ones shooting down previous unsubstantiated rumours.
I make the distinction because the only material naming names with (false) confidence seem to have come from RSA.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I make the distinction because the only material naming names with (false) confidence seem to have come from RSA.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sure, but are people better off not being aware of items that have been published?

It's not like it was publishing some random guy's blog. Craig Ray is a pretty well known rugby journo and writer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Beginning to wonder:
1. The dropping three teams for a S15 three conference thing is NZRU attempt to wake up SARU
2. ARU are playing a longer strategy of allowing sARU to say "no way"
3. The ARU push for a S18 three conference deal with a "yes of course as fine SANZAR supporters we were seriously working on dropping a team, pity that is no longer tenable, looks like we get to keep 5x franchises"
4. The RUs are staying stumm because it is actually in their interests

Doesnt help the current speculation damage and players considering options etc. place is kind of shut down till we hear the next step.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Netball also doesn't have to deal with competition for players from big spending overseas clubs. If the Australia did wonder off to do it's own thing, then I'd hazard a guess that most Wallabies and senior Super Rugby players would quickly be booking the earliest flight to France or the UK.

But netball has significant opposition at the elite level from basketball which is an olympic sport and hockey. I'd also point out that 2 years ago soccer passed netball for the first time ever as the largest female participant sport in Australia. Netball recognise that their pre-eminence is no longer there and they have acted.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Beginning to wonder:
1. The dropping three teams for a S15 three conference thing is NZRU attempt to wake up SARU
2. ARU are playing a longer strategy of allowing sARU to say "no way"
3. The ARU push for a S18 three conference deal with a "yes of course as fine SANZAR supporters we were seriously working on dropping a team, pity that is no longer tenable, looks like we get to keep 5x franchises"
4. The RUs are staying stumm because it is actually in their interests

Doesnt help the current speculation damage and players considering options etc. place is kind of shut down till we hear the next step.

Yeah could be. Just wish our own Union had the balls to say 'no way' themselves.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There are two common characteristics which succesful sports in Australia possess (even sports with a lower profile than rugby)

1. A system of junior and youth development which is club based rather than school base

2. A national competition at the elite level

We've now had super rugby for 20 years and in that time the game of rugby in Australia has gone backwards at exponential speed. Surely it's time to re-evaluate our continued participation. I've gone from being a 100% supporter of our participation to having the view that we'd be better off out of it. To me the super rugby concept is almost unsalvageable from where it is now. Let's all go our separate ways and stand on our own two feet.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
I've become convinced that the only way for Australian rugby to recover is to get out of super rugby. There may be some short term pain, but long term it's the only way.

After reading posting on this thread I've headed that way too.

And with the announcement of the Global Calendar, a Feb-June 16 week home and away NRC then finals. Followed by the Inbound Tests then TRC would be just fine by me.

But do we have the fortitude to take 2 steps back now to take 3 forward over the next generation.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

And with the announcement of the Global Calendar, a Feb-June 16 week home and away NRC then finals. Followed by the Inbound Tests then TRC would be just fine by me.

But do we have the fortitude to take 2 steps back now to take 3 forward over the next generation.
No?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

And I think it wouldn't be as difficult as many may believe. We have 5 Super Rugby bases that could be employed. The Rebels, Force and Brumbies could essentially all remain as is. In place of the Tahs and Reds both the NSWRU and QRU could continue to utilise their cirrent facilities but run multiple squads. Which outside of the the NSW squads is how it currently works in Qld anyway.

As an aside. It would actually make a Rugby SOO concept more viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.