• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the Fun Wolves option if that is serious.

Not sure how many home games the Japanese would want to play in Perth.

They could make the Force Blue the away Jumper for all AUS games.

Nearly every game would be a home game for this team. Or at least plenty of local support in wherever they play in the conference.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the Fun Wolves option if that is serious.

Not sure how many home games the Japanese would want to play in Perth.

They could make the Force Blue the away Jumper for all AUS games.

Nearly every game would be a home game for this team. Or at least plenty of local support in wherever they play in the conference.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

There very little in it for the Sunwolves apart from more travel. They have really strong crowd and for them its about building local talent.

You will see that as of next season Japanese players are returning as per the RWC agenda. World Rugby may step in if SANZAAR try to ditch the Sunwolves pre RWC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There very little in it for the Sunwolves apart from more travel. They have really strong crowd and for them its about building local talent.

You will see that as of next season Japanese players are returning as per the RWC agenda. World Rugby may step in if SANZAAR try to ditch the Sunwolves pre RWC.

They'd draw more in Perth than they did in Singapore.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There would be some boardroom fear if Twiggy gets his fellow WA rugby supporter Kerry Stokes to show the new comp on Channel 7 free to air. I understand the SS is on 7, is that right?
A NRC type comp with some international representation, like afl having 22 home and away rounds??????????

It's a nice dream, but it's not going to happen.........

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Think it would just be a plan for survival for both parties.

The combination would be strong, and very competitive and likely make the finals.

It would keep both entitles alive until 2020 when whatever new deal is struck.
That looks increasingly like a competition without the Africans. A new comp based around a 4 hour time zone window (AUS- NZ -JAP maybe Fiji) where they could demerge. This cannot happen soon enough.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I love the idea of a national comp to replace Super Rugby. To be a success it should tap into any established team brands, fan bases, or tribalism it can. I love what the SS is doing currently in reinvigorating club rugby.
However, for a national comp to be of a high enough standard so it can feed test players into the Wallabies not all SS teams can or will make the transition. Some have the brand and resources to participate, others don't. Also remember that this isn't a national comp where all grades play. So if for eg, Randwick Eastwood Syd Uni Manly and Warringah sign up - what happens to the teams left behind, and what happens to the lower grades of those that step up. As the global calendar works now a national comp will run march to June concurrent with club rugby.
Brisbane might have the same issue - Brothers, the Red Heavies and perhaps Sunnybank step up... what happens to the comp and grade teams they leave behind? QLD could just as easily maintain City and Country teams.
Vikings have already captured the ACT NRC team. It would make sense to keep the Perth and Melb teams ... could Force and Rebels rather than spirit and rising.

But what of the brand value of the Tahs Reds and Ponies... of histories of interstate clashes? I think a national comp opens to opportunity for genuine rep teams in a short burst after July tests for lead up to what ever remains of the RC. QLD v NSW v ACT v Combined AFL territories - 3 week round robin 1 week for GF.

And what of NZ heartland teams? But perhaps the NZR would veto.

But any talk of this has be done with an understanding that the funding is going to change significantly ... we are living on others money at the moment. The exodus of players may increase... the unintended consequences are the big risk factor.

But Super Rugby isn't making fans, it isn't making test players, and it isn't making good local coaches. If it's just because it gets us money from other countries, well I'm sorry but the game has clearly lost its soul and its purpose.

A new comp might not be rich, but it might be meaningful and interesting, and might produce players and coaches with passion for rugby first and foremost.

Ramble over.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Front page of tomorrow's West Australian

Screenshot_20170820-214212.png

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Fuck me dead .... the ARU may have made the stuff up of all times and it could turn out to be the best thing ever with club rugby in the eastern states getting its act together and by the holy mother WA is smashing em in from everywhere...

Its on and the WA gov must be madder than hell the Vic gov kinda bribed the ARU.

I may just get my wish of 18 years now to get rid of Super Rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So TF talking about a breakaway competition...if I was a broadcaster I would at least be talking to TF as lets say he is prepared to tip in a big bucket of money that could make a broadcast deal for a new rugby competition very interesting....prefer if FTA network though were taking the lead on this rather than Foxtel as new comp on FTA network with big bucks behind it to recruit top players would be interesting....but really not expecting much to come of this....could be wrong...hope I am wrong...but would not have thought TF looking to go to this level of support.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Twiggy Forrest (and maybe Kerry Stokes as well?) is willing to help fund a new league this is what can make leaving Super Rugby less of a risk - if the ARU can work with him rather than fight him.

Have our 5 current teams plus at least 1 more (and ideally 3 or 5 more, either new local teams or from Asia-Pacific) - playing a triple or double round robin depending on number of teams. Talent equalisation measures across the competition, allow more imports, fan friendly scheduling, maybe new rep fixtures like origin.

Australian rugby needs a professional model that can better connect with the grassroots and actually grow the sport throughout the country over the next 10, 20, 50 years. This has to be the priority.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Listen to TF speech at the rally where he did say if decision goes against the Force "we will start our own international league from here"

Wow - he did state that in public and lets face it if he was to blow $100m setting up something like that he clearly could(still really struggle to understand how could work as isn't the whole problem that international leagues like Super Rugby don't work especially with time zones...if said an Asian league maybe could slightly understand that)...

Nope still struggle to see what could be an alternative for the Force but could be a case of watch this space as they have one big going for them a Billionaire backer with deep pockets and also a very proud Western Australian.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Twiggy Forrest (and maybe Kerry Stokes as well?) is willing to help fund a new league this is what can make leaving Super Rugby less of a risk - if the ARU can work with him rather than fight him.

Have our 5 current teams plus at least 1 more (and ideally 3 or 5 more, either new local teams or from Asia-Pacific) - playing a triple or double round robin depending on number of teams. Talent equalisation measures across the competition, allow more imports, fan friendly scheduling, maybe new rep fixtures like origin.

Australian rugby needs a professional model that can better connect with the grassroots and actually grow the sport throughout the country over the next 10, 20, 50 years. This has to be the priority.

Irony is Omar is the ARU's decision to cut the Force could in the end be the best thing for rugby in this country, as if it leads to TF and others tipping in big bucket of money, more astute business and financial skills (and connections) could only be a good thing. As TF not just about his money, but standing in the public and wider business community, including his business connections.

I agree, ARU should be working with TF for better rugby footprint in Oz than against him. ARU should be saying okay Andrew you understand our challenge and agree we need to do things better so can you help us with your financial support and business connections. As win win for the Force and Australian rugby as the Force need a stronger Australian rugby environment and competition to play in to thrive as well.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Irony is Omar is the ARU's decision to cut the Force could in the end be the best thing for rugby in this country

It'll definitely be a huge boost for rugby in WA to go through this fight and win (in whichever way they win - and when you have a government and a stubborn multi-billionaire behind you winning has a high probability).

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If the ARU don't want another league to happen I think it is fairly likely that World Rugby will also refuse to back it. This is the main difference to super league - a wealthy and powerful international body. Rebel leagues pose a threat to all tier one unions. It will be very hard to get quality players if they become excluded from international rugby selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.