• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Split of income would be directly proportionate to each countries broadcasters contribution though wouldn’t it?
The SANZAAR deal includes 11 seperate broadcasters across different parts of the world. As I understand it Foxtel share is relatively small and has barely increased over the last couple of negotiations. It’s dwarfed by UK broadcasters as an example. The GMT rights (so including France, UK, Ireland, SA etc) make up a large majority of the revenue.

Remembering that rights to June tours by Euro teams are included in these negotiations, so they probably aren’t paying much for Super rugby games, rather test matches

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The SANZAAR deal includes 11 seperate broadcasters across different parts of the world. As I understand it Foxtel share is relatively small and has barely increased over the last couple of negotiations. It’s dwarfed by UK broadcasters as an example. The GMT rights (so including France, UK, Ireland, SA etc) make up a large majority of the revenue.

Remembering that rights to June tours by Euro teams are included in these negotiations, so they probably aren’t paying much for Super rugby games, rather test matches

Which is something that always gets me. From my understanding the vast bulk of the value in these deals is tied up in the Test arena. Which wouldn't necessarily have to change. What potentially could change would be the opportunity to build something more domestically relevant that as per the ratings provides more interest to local audiences. Which would provide the best possible opportunity for that product to build value.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Which is something that always gets me. From my understanding the vast bulk of the value in these deals is tied up in the Test arena. Which wouldn't necessarily have to change. What potentially could change would be the opportunity to build something more domestically relevant that as per the ratings provides more interest to local audiences. Which would provide the best possible opportunity for that product to build value.

The NZRU's number 1 priority with Super Rugby is to provide adequate preparation and development of current and future All Blacks. And they always cite the importance of playing against South African sides in relation to this. I think what actually might get them to change their tune is actually the weakening of the South African super rugby sides. If the best South African rugby players are in Europe and Japan maybe they won't see it as being so crucial, and they'd be more open to a Trans-Tasman/Pacific competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep all good points, but some of the dollars the broadcasters is earned from selling rights to NH countries, and from what I understand there not very much appetite for Aus rugby up there, where even NZ and SA domestic comps are sold to TV up there. I know this as my son in Italy watched the ITM cup final live in Italy last year, and saw it before I could!Not sure how correct it is but Super games from Aus are quite often not broadcast in Europe, but in Italy for instance there are 2 games a week shown live, almost always Kiwi games and some SA games.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Oz fans make the mistake of thinking nz rugby might actually care about how rugby is going in Oz.

But it most certainly doesn’t. We are great cannon fodder for their Super Rugby teams. Good training runs - not as tough as their own derbies which they believe take too much out of their players.

And winning Bled like a broken record for 16 years hasn’t dimmed the appetite of their fans one bit.

A weak oz rugby suits nz perfectly well.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
So don’t expect a trans Tasman comp to ever eventuate.

Oz has unfortunately become almost a beggar - living off deals whose value is derived largely from the inclusion of SA and NZ.

We have lost the fight in Oz. We are shrinking. We are more reliant than ever on others.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm willing to bet that the UK broadcast revenue for SANZAAR will be lower per annum than for the current deal. Avatar bet for six months. Who wants to own this fine artistic piece of green and gold real estate?

First in (3k posts minimum) gets the chance to unleash their digital genius!

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Here’s B.Pulver at the announcement of the last broadcast deal

"And it reflects, I think, the growing status we enjoy in the Australian sporting landscape. I'm confident that that sort of trend will continue.”

And

"The ARU will have surplus funds to re-invest in the game from grassroots through to the Wallabies and to address strategic priorities to grow the game,"

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I'm willing to bet that the UK broadcast revenue for SANZAAR will be lower per annum than for the current deal. Avatar bet for six months. Who wants to own this fine artistic piece of green and gold real estate?

First in (3k posts minimum) gets the chance to unleash their digital genius!

Dismlol.PNG

giphy.gif

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oz fans make the mistake of thinking nz rugby might actually care about how rugby is going in Oz.

But it most certainly doesn’t. We are great cannon fodder for their Super Rugby teams. Good training runs - not as tough as their own derbies which they believe take too much out of their players.

And winning Bled like a broken record for 16 years hasn’t dimmed the appetite of their fans one bit.

A weak oz rugby suits nz perfectly well.

No.

NZ does very definitely care about Aus rugby. Just not slightly compared to how they care about NZ rugby. Not unsurprising and their care is real.

My issue is this soft concern leaves us stuffed anyway. And if they wont get on board we need to go solo.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No.

NZ does very definitely care about Aus rugby. Just not slightly compared to how they care about NZ rugby. Not unsurprising and their care is real.

My issue is this soft concern leaves us stuffed anyway. And if they wont get on board we need to go solo.

Surely everyone in here does not really think NZ should care more or equally about Aus rugby compared to NZ. You are of course right dru, I positive they care about Aus rugby always have, but their main concern has to be NZ rugby, just as RA should be mainly concerned about Aus rugby. I think it time everyone stopped and remembered the World doesn't owe Aus rugby anything, they all want it to do well, but should not care anymore about it than Japan, Samoa, Tonga, SA, England ,NZ etc. You know the first people that should be trying to something to make rugby better, all the posters with the great ideas, go down join your local rugby club, go on the committee, work on improving things, get on the board of QRU,NSWRU etc etc, that's the way we can make a difference if we care about improving the game. It won't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere, and stop finding everyone else to blame.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Surely everyone in here does not really think NZ should care more or equally about Aus rugby compared to NZ. You are of course right dru, I positive they care about Aus rugby always have, but their main concern has to be NZ rugby, just as RA should be mainly concerned about Aus rugby. I think it time everyone stopped and remembered the World doesn't owe Aus rugby anything, they all want it to do well, but should not care anymore about it than Japan, Samoa, Tonga, SA, England ,NZ etc. You know the first people that should be trying to something to make rugby better, all the posters with the great ideas, go down join your local rugby club, go on the committee, work on improving things, get on the board of QRU,NSWRU etc etc, that's the way we can make a difference if we care about improving the game. It won't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere, and stop finding everyone else to blame.

Stop it Dan, you're being too positive on multiple threads :D

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
What people forget is:

RSA GDP: $US350 billion
RSA ave income $US 2500.
Rugby coverage - saturated

NZ GDP: $US210 million
NZ ave income: $US 60k
Rugby coverage - saturated

Aus GDP: $US1.3 TRILLION
Aus ave income: $US couldn’t find it but approx +10% NZ
Rugby Coverage - barely implemented (though a tough market)

Which market would you target?

Dude, I think NZ GDP is a little bigger than $210m ;)

Reactions: dru

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Peeps forget it was the special ties between the NSWRU, QRU and our bros across the ditch, the ARU (Auckland) and CRFU (Canterbury) that kick started it all. Admirably started by the NSWRU, credit where it s due.

The NZRU is aware that a stronger game in Aus is beneficial to themselves. We are definitely stronger together though of course we will never always see eye to eye as we each have our own unique problems.

Any long term viable solution will need us both strong together.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
How much does SA tv bring in and how much different is it to Aus and NZ?

Getting back to the Saffa problem.

Surely SA is not happy with the way Super Rugby tournament is working for them either.

They have no team to watch in the Semi finals.

And the foray with the cut teams to the North hasn't been very successful from all reports.

We think things are bad here, but I think worse over there.

Surely they would be open to changes, Particularly in relation to addressing scheduling of games and the time difference for visiting teams from Aus and NZ & Arg

Status
Not open for further replies.