• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Couldn't agree with this more. I'm hoping that RA and Twiggy are having an open dialogue to make the Force part of SRAU permanently. Get Fiji in, have a six team comp and then do the Super 8 and we're set. That's the product.

It's all become so clear to me through COVID and the emergency change of structure that this is the way to go. It helps that footy has been getting better and better too.

I am actually really not interested in TT and irony is I have new found respect for RA but where NZRU has taken the formers place for my scorn and dislike. Kiwis won’t care but NZRU is dead to me and so is any interest for me in TT competition. Not that it matters as chances of latter would be very low.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Nice summing up of the McLennan-Clarke strategy by GRob & its potential flaw:

"Six months ago there was no money, no broadcast deal and a damaging captains' coup under way that ushered in a new low for the code.

"Make no mistake. There is still no money and no broadcast deal. McLennan and RA interim chief executive Rob Clarke are in the middle of a monster sales pitch, selling a vision of the game that no one knows if they can pull off.

"Many have serious doubts on a couple of fronts, including whether any broadcaster will pay enough money to fund five Super teams, a national club championship, a State of Union match and the Wallabies. Plus a men's and women's Sevens teams preparing for the Tokyo Olympics and the Wallaroos, who will compete for a World Cup next year.

"Others fear McLennan's expansion plans will harm the game, specifically the Wallabies, by diluting Australia's talent pool across five professional sides."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...d-hamish-mclennans-rugby-australia-power-play

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's a grab-bag list. TV deal is not going to fund all these items, but wouldn't be expected to either.
  • Five Super teams
  • National club championship
  • State of Union match
  • Wallabies
  • Sevens teams
  • Wallaroos

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's a grab-bag list. TV deal is not going to fund all these items, but wouldn't be expected to either.
  • Five Super teams
  • National club championship
  • State of Union match
  • Wallabies
  • Sevens teams
  • Wallaroos

Still waiting to see on private equity investment if will happen.

I think it is funny Grob summary and no not a good summary as it stupidly suggests that testing the market appetite for different products which were consulted on before release is a bad idea. Sorry I am not going to criticise the RA leadership for trying to do something besides status quo as accepting status quo is what got us in this mess.

The nz reporting seems to be take the oz talk poppy syndrome of criticising anyone giving something a go. For sure oz rugby is in a crisis and requires innovative thinking and strong leadership to get us out of this mess. To my mind we are finally seeing this from Hamish and Rob CLarke and sure risks but from what I see doing best they can with a range of new innovative offerings that are done to try and improve the situation for oz rugby with the constraints they have. The latter includes standing up to NZRU and making difficult decisions like cutting NRC despite proven development pathway as had to accept nsw and nsw clubs would not support it.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Super 8, should be the very best second tier rugby comp on the planet. 6 Nations and TRC the only thing to better it.

For that to happen we need 2 representative selected teams from each country, For NZ its simple 1 X South Island 1 X North Island. For Aus it should be the SOU Tahs and Reds (with a number of invitational spots for non NSW & QLD but Wallaby eligible players). Not sure how SA and Jap/PI divide into 2 - but they need to. Basically these are test level players, the best of the best.

Now let see the eyeballs and the ratings from that

Nope. its a champions league, I would back the crusaders to beat any South North Divide.. Have some passion for your team.. If The team wins Super AU there the best and let them have a crack at wining the title.. it be awesome to watch. Not some joined shit show with no real fans

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Still waiting to see on private equity investment if will happen.

I think it is funny Grob summary and no not a good summary as it stupidly suggests that testing the market appetite for different products which were consulted on before release is a bad idea. Sorry I am not going to criticise the RA leadership for trying to do something besides status quo as accepting status quo is what got us in this mess.

The nz reporting seems to be take the oz talk poppy syndrome of criticising anyone giving something a go. For sure oz rugby is in a crisis and requires innovative thinking and strong leadership to get us out of this mess. To my mind we are finally seeing this from Hamish and Rob CLarke and sure risks but from what I see doing best they can with a range of new innovative offerings that are done to try and improve the situation for oz rugby with the constraints they have. The latter includes standing up to NZRU and making difficult decisions like cutting NRC despite proven development pathway as had to accept nsw and nsw clubs would not support it.

I like Hamish, Clarke I don't know and is only temporary anyway, so doesn't matter. but some things Grob has aid a right and no doubt some are wrong . I can't say I disagree with it all because she saying what I been saying in here, RA is playing some real publicity games in press, and once again fair enough that is their plan. But if the TT is dead as you say why is Hamish being quoted as saying he is prepared to give NZ a bigger cut of the TV deal? Noone will answer me on that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You could say the same about the Reds. They have had time, how much more is required?

I actually think the Tahs have shown a lot of improvement, maybe coaching, but they certainly look like they comping on nicely. I wonder if Reds may not be going overboard with the youth, and could do with a few more older heads?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would you be willing to stake a multi-million dollar business on that proposition?
Yes, they expect a vaccine pre Christmas. This comp isn’t solely for 21 either but for the future both models of Aus or NZ going it alone involve international teams. Best thing to do is look at a 10 side comp and then you can easily split that back into two 5 teams comp if a vaccine isn’t ready.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Couldn't agree with this more. I'm hoping that RA and Twiggy are having an open dialogue to make the Force part of SRAU permanently. Get Fiji in, have a six team comp and then do the Super 8 and we're set. That's the product.

It's all become so clear to me through COVID and the emergency change of structure that this is the way to go. It helps that footy has been getting better and better too.
A lot more money to be made for both Aus and NZ if we have a 10 team comp.

Aus Rugby has to stop fearing NZ. Yeah they have earned a level of respect.

We beat them at an under 20 level and a school boy level last year we just need to keep on investing in the pathways and developing the next generation

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A lot more money to be made for both Aus and NZ if we have a 10 team comp.

It needs two parties to tango. If NZR want 10 teams (5 Aus) they will have it. Timing would be dictated by COVID so very dubious can happen in 2021 though Super 8 has a better chance.

Though GRob plays nicely into the NZ narrative so it's a nice piece of positioning for a journo. I suspect the article is invidious here in Aus and likely the NH.

The big three sports here, Aussie Rules, League and cricket, are likewise dealing with issues of how much revenue can be raised, what they can afford, reorganising/work force reductions, hasty rearrangement of competitions and new calanders. In fact NZ has not simply been plain sailing on an organisational and commercial front.

The other element that is missed is that Aus rugby was about to hit it's "ground Zero" regardless. If not these actions something was required for survival anyway.

The one bloke with his options sitting high of the low water mark is Twiggy. He has sheeted home a position in SuperAu, and very likely if he wants it whatever Super NZ turns too. And his contacts and planning over the recent years are invaluable to whoever he sides with.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I like Hamish, Clarke I don't know and is only temporary anyway, so doesn't matter. but some things Grob has aid a right and no doubt some are wrong . I can't say I disagree with it all because she saying what I been saying in here, RA is playing some real publicity games in press, and once again fair enough that is their plan. But if the TT is dead as you say why is Hamish being quoted as saying he is prepared to give NZ a bigger cut of the TV deal? Noone will answer me on that.

He said this before he came out with his plan, he wants NZR involved but is happy to go it alone. We Australian fans want our 5 teams, if that's not acceptable, we will add a Japan team and a Pacific team and be on our way, with Super 8 at the end.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nice summing up of the McLennan-Clarke strategy by GRob & its potential flaw:

"Six months ago there was no money, no broadcast deal and a damaging captains' coup under way that ushered in a new low for the code.

"Make no mistake. There is still no money and no broadcast deal. McLennan and RA interim chief executive Rob Clarke are in the middle of a monster sales pitch, selling a vision of the game that no one knows if they can pull off.

"Many have serious doubts on a couple of fronts, including whether any broadcaster will pay enough money to fund five Super teams, a national club championship, a State of Union match and the Wallabies. Plus a men's and women's Sevens teams preparing for the Tokyo Olympics and the Wallaroos, who will compete for a World Cup next year.

"Others fear McLennan's expansion plans will harm the game, specifically the Wallabies, by diluting Australia's talent pool across five professional sides."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...d-hamish-mclennans-rugby-australia-power-play

'Others' being NZRU.

Otherwise, you are hardly going to award her the Pulitzer Prize for pointing out there may not be enough money.......

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Why is the TT dead? i think it's clear that no one is going to respond to NZRUs request for EOIs. Which is fair enough because NZRU fucked that right up.

Doesn't mean there will ultimately be no TT comp.

The one thing everyone agrees on at the end of the day is that Australian and New Zealand rugby need each other in some capacity.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ including also numerous Australian commentators, many of them former players.

Man it's such fucking bullshit.

Did the Rebels suddenly become amazing with two squads at their disposal and a better coach? no. They still fucking sucked.

You have the same quality of player - just 23 less spots.

What do we do when the Rebels join the Tahs and the Tahs still suck? Should we just have the Wallabies playing in the Super Rugby?

Point me to a single example, anywhere, where consolidating two squads results in dramatically improved performances?

It's just grumpy old men who miss the 'glory days' and refuse to accept that Australia's failings are systemic and can't easily be fixed by some superficial move like 'cutting a team'.

It's also a complete mystery how or why more or less teams results in a different quality of player. As opposed to, say, the quality of coaching at junior level?

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.