• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Without any Investment in Australian rugby (private equity) Fiji were never going to join oz conference. In reality the best option if people (read nzru) could take an Asia pacific view is Asia pacific trans Tasman competition with more open borders policy. But let’s not open the debate on that as we flogged our views on that and we know Dan54 thinks nzru can do know wrong whilst others like me think it is the current nzru management and board holding back growing the game in the Asia pacific to what it could be as they seem to focussed on control then a partnership approach

:rolleyes: mate don't go there again, I have never said NZR can do nothing wrong and you are a liar when you say otherwise. I just don't think it only up to NZR to grow game in Asia pacific, it up to RA to do their part too!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
:rolleyes: mate don't go there again, I have never said NZR can do nothing wrong and you are a liar when you say otherwise. I just don't think it only up to NZR to grow game in Asia pacific, it up to RA to do their part too!

It is more nzru have more power and influence to grow the game in Asia - RA I suspect would like to do more but just don’t have the power, influence, strength of own domestic market or financial strength behind them that nzru do. Hence nzru expression of interest attracting Fiji and MP (Moana Pasifika). I just wish they would use this influence for a more partnership driven model to create a regional competition then there current EOI process driven around their desire for control. The nz players association representative summed it up well what many of us are not happy about on the NZRU approach.

Hopeful they may be having a rethink given large public backlash and outcry on this but I also believe nzru (specific leaders comments and moreso specific behaviour) are pretty arrogant as many have called out In public over the said behaviour, so not overly confident. Anyhow you know many of us are still smarting over past Nzru behaviour and while still distrustful would be happy to see efforts to repair relationships and convince us otherwise that we are misguided in our views of nzru.

To me private equity investment probably the game changer, plus people like twiggy involved who are pushing Asia pacific agenda. I am not protective of RA so feel free to call out RA could be doing more and how so as open to understanding that as I was not holding a candle to RA but rather acknowledging their power and influence to do so actually less then NZRU.

I will refrain from commenting further on the ‘nzru’ views as don’t need to repeat what already been said in pages of posts on this topic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is more nzru have more power and influence to grow the game in Asia - RA I suspect would like to do more but just don’t have the power, influence, strength of own domestic market or financial strength behind them that nzru do. Hence nzru expression of interest attracting Fiji and MP (Moana Pasifika). I just wish they would use this influence for a more partnership driven model to create a regional competition then there current EOI process driven around their desire for control. The nz players association representative summed it up well what many of us are not happy about on the NZRU approach.

Hopeful they may be having a rethink given large public backlash and outcry on this but I also believe nzru (specific leaders comments and moreso specific behaviour) are pretty arrogant as many have called out In public over the said behaviour, so not overly confident. Anyhow you know many of us are still smarting over past Nzru behaviour and while still distrustful would be happy to see efforts to repair relationships and convince us otherwise that we are misguided in our views of nzru.

To me private equity investment probably the game changer, plus people like twiggy involved who are pushing Asia pacific agenda. I am not protective of RA so feel free to call out RA could be doing more and how so as open to understanding that as I was not holding a candle to RA but rather acknowledging their power and influence to do so actually less then NZRU.

I will refrain from commenting further on the ‘nzru’ views as don’t need to repeat what already been said in pages of posts on this topic.

Yep read that post which is good, you SUSPECT that RA would like to do more, but you don't know anymore than me. I also more than suspect the NZR wants to do more for Pacific rugby, hence MP (Moana Pasifika) and Druas wanting to be aligned with them, and they do a fair bit in Asian rugby al moment, I personally know someone who has been part of NZR's coaching and supplying rugby gear in Philippines , I know it not common knowledge in Australia what NZR does actually do in Asia as it not click bait to see anything positive about NZR in Australia. And public backlash, really large, in Aus but NZR 's job is to look after game in NZ and not to keep posters in Aus happy. Don't kid yourself what you read in SMH.
I fully agree with you on private equity if it can come into game without RA losing control as in France and England. To push the Asian rugby thing will require more like Twiggy who's main income is Asian based, but it certainly way to go in general.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA at least facilitated the Fijian Drua entry into the Australian domestic comp, that was a massive boost for those players. Only need to look at the recent Fijian test side to see it was littered with guys who picked up contracts by playing in the NRC, at lest 5 or 6 in the starting side alone came through the NRC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep read that post which is good, you SUSPECT that RA would like to do more, but you don't know anymore than me. I also more than suspect the NZR wants to do more for Pacific rugby, hence MP (Moana Pasifika) and Druas wanting to be aligned with them, and they do a fair bit in Asian rugby al moment, I personally know someone who has been part of NZR's coaching and supplying rugby gear in Philippines , I know it not common knowledge in Australia what NZR does actually do in Asia as it not click bait to see anything positive about NZR in Australia. And public backlash, really large, in Aus but NZR 's job is to look after game in NZ and not to keep posters in Aus happy. Don't kid yourself what you read in SMH.
I fully agree with you on private equity if it can come into game without RA losing control as in France and England. To push the Asian rugby thing will require more like Twiggy who's main income is Asian based, but it certainly way to go in general.

Dan54 I don’t think any of us have any delusion that Nzru care about what posters think on here but since when has that stopped any of us including yourself offering their opinion and views.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia - New Zealand travel bubble to open up between Jan-Mar next year, which will be in time for the kick off of the Super Rugby TT in May.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is there any quarantine situations now existing between Aus and NZ? I thought travel between NZ and NSW was unrestricted towards the end of the RC and is unrestricted to Qld from today.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is there any quarantine situations now existing between Aus and NZ? I thought travel between NZ and NSW was unrestricted towards the end of the RC and is unrestricted to Qld from today.
No just one way at moment, still 3-6 months away I imagine.

Take that back, headlines saying end of March, news has just come on TV here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Nah there’s still heavy restrictions and you require travel exemptions, entering New Zealand from Australia also requires you to quarantine for 14 days.

Intent is this will be lifted by March

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
World Club Championship concept lives on:

It also appears in a blueprint for global rugby drawn up by the powerful French clubs, and seen by i, in which the planet’s putative best 16 teams – eight from the northern hemisphere, eight from the south – would play in a single five-week block starting in the middle of April 2022 through to a final on the weekend of 14 May.

https://apple.news/A_dnrHOgEQMu1Noem0Cvw8Q

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree about money.
Issue will be timing, if it’s held in Mar-Apr, which is right the middle do the super rugby season, what do the rest of the teams/players do while these teams are off in Europe?

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
World Club Championship concept lives on:

https://apple.news/A_dnrHOgEQMu1Noem0Cvw8Q

The northern eight would be this season’s winners of the Premiership, Pro14, Top 14 and Champions Cup, plus four top-ranked finishers from the 2021-22 Champions Cup pool stage.
The eight next-best Champions Cup teams would move into a “Super Challenge Cup” round of 16 with eight clubs from the Challenge Cup. The means of selecting from the south will depend on the ongoing revamp of Super Rugby, but obvious contenders include Crusaders from New Zealand, Australia’s Brumbies, and Sharks from South Africa

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The means of selecting from the south will depend on the ongoing revamp of Super Rugby, but obvious contenders include Crusaders from New Zealand, Australia’s Brumbies, and Sharks from South Africa

NZ: Cantabs +1
Aus: Bumbreeze
SA: 2
Arg: Jags?
other 2 spots: best of rest

Wonder if the North will afford a slot to Japan's champs or go all "no, no, no, this will not stand, that would mean no slot for our beloved puddle-plopping Halifax Bogsnot Rovers".

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Wonder if the North will afford a slot to Japan's champs or go all "no, no, no, this will not stand, that would mean no slot for our beloved puddle-plopping Halifax Bogsnot Rovers".

I was thinking it will likely be 1 x Japan, 1 Arg, 2 x Aus, 2 x SA, 2 x NZ

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

The only Argentina club in contention would be the western (force) Jaguars

Status
Not open for further replies.