• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Didn't Stan only sign Super AU after they knew NZR was on board, so maybe some financial repercussions with no TT? Hope not, and you assume they covered that.

And what’s your solution Dan, because the word form NZ is that they aren’t going to play TT, why shouldn’t RA look at other options then.
Undoubtedly any broadcaster will impose a financial repercussion on the adminstrators if they fail to deliver the quantity and quality of product that was paid for, Australian or New Zealand.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really think RA need to continue with Super Rugby AU for at least another 5 years in order to safeguard and build fan engagement before moving to a full TT comp. The TT concept they have at the moment is just right for now. Aus teams and fans need more wins, and more good news stories, at Super Rugby level.

I fear that if Aus fans experience 2 or 3 losses per weekend in a full TT comp, Super Rugby will begin it's slow death spiral again like old Super Rugby. Just give the current model at least 5 years to see how it goes first.

Only change I would make is Fiji in Super Rugby AU and Moana Pasifika in Super Rugby Ao, with the current TT concept. That would give every team 8 home games and 8 away games. Perfect.
We can’t keep going with a 5 team comp with 3 sides making finals it’s pathetic. I watch it for the love of the game and club.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
2c807d8f-54ad-4c8b-bf00-21f8e2ebc824-jpeg.12036

Thanks kindly

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And what’s your solution Dan, because the word form NZ is that they aren’t going to play TT, why shouldn’t RA look at other options then.
Undoubtedly any broadcaster will impose a financial repercussion on the adminstrators if they fail to deliver the quantity and quality of product that was paid for, Australian or New Zealand.

Don't get me wrong , I not suggesting that anyone should not try to make alternate arrangements, I was actually suggesting RA may get a cut in payments if there not a TT or alternate comp this year. Though on reflection there will be the third round of Aus comp anyway and so maybe that will create the needed games anyway. I just think that for anyone to think the top 5 Japanese clubs are sitting there waiting to join Super AU (or Aotearoa for that matter) is perhaps a little arrogant, and maybe they just want to finish there own comp? By the way I think the word from both camps is TT won't/can't happen this year much as everyone wants it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We can’t keep going with a 5 team comp with 3 sides making finals it’s pathetic. I watch it for the love of the game and club.

I say the same, even with Super Aotearoa, I loving the rugby , but a 5 team comp will pall pretty quickly. Need more teams to maintain it, can't just keep playing same teams every month or so.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Don't get me wrong , I not suggesting that anyone should not try to make alternate arrangements, I was actually suggesting RA may get a cut in payments if there not a TT or alternate comp this year. Though on reflection there will be the third round of Aus comp anyway and so maybe that will create the needed games anyway. I just think that for anyone to think the top 5 Japanese clubs are sitting there waiting to join Super AU (or Aotearoa for that matter) is perhaps a little arrogant, and maybe they just want to finish there own comp? By the way I think the word from both camps is TT won't/can't happen this year much as everyone wants it.

The way things are going international travel wont be reinstated until 2035

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The way things are going international travel wont be reinstated until 2035

Don't depress me mate, I look forward to my trip to a rugby test (or such)each year, last few years it has been to NZ from Aus with mates, I am hanging out for next year going to Aus for a test or somesuch!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yes this isn’t a problem unique to RA Dan, any sporting organisation who presents an alternate product less enticing to the broadcaster may receive a cut in broadcast revenue, NZRU included. 3 rounds of the same stuff just gets boring and repetitive.

That’s why the onus is on the sporting bodies to find outcomes which are as close to equal value as possible. If that includes a Japan club or two then might as well give it a crack.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I say the same, even with Super Aotearoa, I loving the rugby , but a 5 team comp will pall pretty quickly. Need more teams to maintain it, can't just keep playing same teams every month or so.
Exactly and the seasons are way to short realistically 8 games is terrible but what do you do? You can’t play one side 3 or 4 times. Ultimately if the Aus sides lose when they play the Kiwis get better. If you don’t have a belief you can compete you never will

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly and the seasons are way to short realistically 8 games is terrible but what do you do? You can’t play one side 3 or 4 times. Ultimately if the Aus sides lose when they play the Kiwis get better. If you don’t have a belief you can compete you never will

Couldn't agree more Rebel, see the only thing I tend to think is that I don't go along that the Aus teams won't be absolutely competitive against the NZ Super teams, and there no reason the Brumbies etc couldn't win it anyway. I know I keep harping but I keep saying the Reds in a year or two are another that would be competing for top position in a mixed comp. I actually almost shrugging shoulders if both comp go into 3 rounds as looks likely if even a tragic like me will still be interested by end.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Couldn't agree more Rebel, see the only thing I tend to think is that I don't go along that the Aus teams won't be absolutely competitive against the NZ Super teams, and there no reason the Brumbies etc couldn't win it anyway. I know I keep harping but I keep saying the Reds in a year or two are another that would be competing for top position in a mixed comp. I actually almost shrugging shoulders if both comp go into 3 rounds as looks likely if even a tragic like me will still be interested by end.
Well that’s it last year before the suspension of super rugby Aus was 2-4 in their head to head with NZ. At least 2 of those loses they attracted the losing bonus point. Yes it’s a small sample but now that the sides don’t play we overplay the disparity in class

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Borders between NSW and Auckland are back open, so that's good news for RA you'd think.

Yep, but the fact they were closed to start with is what the problem is, see I saw Morrison on TV here last night saying, why aren't NZ opening borders like us? Because it doesn't work if you have to close them when there an outbreak. Imagine say TT is planned or underway and borders get closed because of a couple of cases in Sydney, Auckland etc etc, so Aus teams can't go home and vice versa. For there to be a workable bubble we all have to have certainty.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
why aren't NZ opening borders like us? Because it doesn't work if you have to close them when there an outbreak.
You mean it does work.

No outbreak: open -- outbreak: quarantine.

Were you the bloke hurriedly wanting the Qld border open so one of your sprogs could fly there?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You mean it does work.

No outbreak: open -- outbreak: quarantine.

Were you the bloke hurriedly wanting the Qld border open so one of your sprogs could fly there?

What the hell are you on? What bloke wanting border open? Why would I wnt my kids to be able to fly over there?:confused:
And reason I said it doesn't work, if you had a flight booked to NZ or Aus for a rugby game, as you get to airport you suddnely find you have to quarantine for 2 weeks as what happened with the cases in Auckland. Ok if you think that is a system working well....... . And be great if a team was going to get on a flight for a game, suddenly you in Quarantine, so can't play that game or the ones coming up. I only talking about whether it works from a rugby angle as this a rugby forum:rolleyes:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep, but the fact they were closed to start with is what the problem is, see I saw Morrison on TV here last night saying, why aren't NZ opening borders like us? Because it doesn't work if you have to close them when there an outbreak. Imagine say TT is planned or underway and borders get closed because of a couple of cases in Sydney, Auckland etc etc, so Aus teams can't go home and vice versa. For there to be a workable bubble we all have to have certainty.

Yes it does. You have open borders and then you close them to whichever state (or Islands, maybe, in NZs case?) for a short period to allow them to get it under control (5 days for example).

It works fine. We've been doing it for months. At worst a few games get postponed or cancelled.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What the hell are you on? What bloke wanting border open? Why would I wnt my kids to be able to fly over there?:confused:
And reason I said it doesn't work, if you had a flight booked to NZ or Aus for a rugby game, as you get to airport you suddnely find you have to quarantine for 2 weeks as what happened with the cases in Auckland. Ok if you think that is a system working well... . And be great if a team was going to get on a flight for a game, suddenly you in Quarantine, so can't play that game or the ones coming up. I only talking about whether it works from a rugby angle as this a rugby forum:rolleyes:

Use charter flights and return home if an outbreak occurs which causes a border lockdown mid-flight.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Use charter flights and return home if an outbreak occurs which causes a border lockdown mid-flight.

Listen mate, I would love it to work, but I not sure it that simple, charter flights re expensive, and governments have to agree to no quarantine. Still we can only wait and hope.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Listen mate, I would love it to work, but I not sure it that simple, charter flights re expensive, and governments have to agree to no quarantine. Still we can only wait and hope.

Reds are using charter flights all this season

Status
Not open for further replies.