• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum. We get that you're here to push the WA Rugby cause as a no doubt disgruntled fan but just a warning. Of your three posts so far, two have been having a go at someone. That's not how we roll. Consider this a warning.

I would question my future as a supporter of the game if I thought it depends on supporters like this. Fortunately, the vast majority of rugby people are a bit better than Steve.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Accurate or not, a figure of $100m /yr over the next 10 years has been mentioned:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...ues-and-Governing-Bodies/Rugby-Australia.aspx

Of course, even if reported, it doesn't mean that amount will be invested by Forrest - for one thing, the competition hasn't been approved.

For the interim, though, I'd think tens of millions isn't too much of a stretch for the program as known to date.

Cheers, hadn't seen that. I wonder if it ever will be that much - time will tell. If so, a huge investment!

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I would question my future as a supporter of the game if I thought it depends on supporters like this. Fortunately, the vast majority of rugby people are a bit better than Steve.

Get off your high horse Wam, get a mirror, have a look at your comments and take responsibility for them. You have the right to fire back but don't pretend to be a victim.
I often criticise clone and RA, I understand this will upset the RA defenders and accept they will attack me as they do.
All he said was that you are arrogant, that is said to you by different people on a almost daily basis.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No, I don't get my K's, m's and bn's mixed up. It was mentioned a long time ago and I can't locate it?
Whether it was factual or not I don't think it matters. When anyone, but Twiggy in this case, is publicly disrespected by a imo a horrible piece of work, then the amount of money required to fix the issue is irrelevant, assuming of course that you have the spare money, Twiggy will spend whatever it requires.
100m pa for 10yrs is not beyond him.
Twiggy has also publicly said he will start a competition and will make it work. Thus he has put his reputation on the line and therefore again he will spend whatever is required to achieve his stated goals.

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-sunday-times/20180429/281659665656131

Killer - there is quite a big difference between $10 million / yr and $100 million, actually. Which is why I asked . If it had been $10 or $15 million, I agree the difference is academic, but a ten-fold difference is huge. If he spent that much, it would be something!

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Killer - there is quite a big difference between $10 million / yr and $100 million, actually. Which is why I asked . If it had been $10 or $15 million, I agree the difference is academic, but a ten-fold difference is huge. If he spent that much, it would be something!

sorry I didn't mean to be condescending.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
No worries - you weren't; at least not from my point of view. Just seemed you were a bit casual with Twiggy's money! ;)

The way I look at it, if some arsehole shafted me, and especially in public. One quarter of, one of my annual income streams, would be a small cost in rectifying the issue. Reputation is worth more than mere dollars and in this case I think it's a relatively modest amount.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Get off your high horse Wam, get a mirror, have a look at your comments and take responsibility for them. You have the right to fire back but don't pretend to be a victim.
I often criticise clone and RA, I understand this will upset the RA defenders and accept they will attack me as they do.
All he said was that you are arrogant, that is said to you by different people on a almost daily basis.

I do not stoop to personal insults. What is arrogant about that? As for my comments, they have nothing to do with criticising RA, they are based to a large extent on my working experience in professional sport. I spent a number of years working for a world class organisation in a senior executive position.

I am happy to have a civilised debate about professional sport. You just want to attack people.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If Twiggy is driven to make this a success no matter what the cost due to a vendetta against Clyne then that is something of a masterstroke.

Are there any other billionaires Clyne can piss off before he leaves?

yes I agree from a rugby in Aust pov, only problem is it looks as though Robbo may be the next Chairman? thus RA and their affiliates will not benefit in any great way.
As I have said many times get rid of clone and the board, they are the true enemy of Aust rugby.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I do not stoop to personal insults. What is arrogant about that? As for my comments, they have nothing to do with criticising RA, they are based to a large extent on my working experience in professional sport. I spent a number of years working for a world class organisation in a senior executive position.

I am happy to have a civilised debate about professional sport. You just want to attack people.

I haven't called you names, unless you include last week when I referred to you as Einstein after you were telling me I must be stupid.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
yes I agree from a rugby in Aust pov, only problem is it looks as though Robbo may be the next Chairman? thus RA and their affiliates will not benefit in any great way.
As I have said many times get rid of clone and the board, they are the true enemy of Aust rugby.

Killer I am becoming increasingly convinced the board is only part of the problem.

The major problem is structural IMO.

Most successful, growing sports competitions are run by those taking part.

The US lead this idea, and European soccer has copied and grown hugely and will be in place soon in Australia with the A-League. Further both the AFL & NRL are also essentially club run competitions.

The best practical example is the EPL in England. When under the control of the English FFA, the EPL was losing ground, when they went independent or owner operated its exploaded.

The key when looking at these leagues is the competition body runs itself, and all the teams playing in the competitions are independent from the governing body.

As long as we have have RA owning the teams, sitting on the boards determining media deals, determining player wages etc it will never work.

The governing body should set the rules whereby an independent competition can operate, manage the national teams, look at grassroots expansion etc.

IMO as long as we have no separation of power, our major problem is structural. There is more than Twiggy out there willing to invest in a rugby team I can assure you. We must develop trust in the game again.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Killer I am becoming increasingly convinced the board is only part of the problem.

The major problem is structural IMO.

Most successful, growing sports competitions are run by those taking part.

The US lead this idea, and European soccer has copied and grown hugely and will be in place soon in Australia with the A-League. Further both the AFL & NRL are also essentially club run competitions.

The best practical example is the EPL in England. When under the control of the English FFA, the EPL was losing ground, when they went independent or owner operated its exploaded.

The key when looking at these leagues is the competition body runs itself, and all the teams playing in the competitions are independent from the governing body.

As long as we have have RA owning the teams, sitting on the boards determining media deals, determining player wages etc it will never work.

The governing body should set the rules whereby an independent competition can operate, manage the national teams, look at grassroots expansion etc.

IMO as long as we have no separation of power, our major problem is structural. There is more than Twiggy out there willing to invest in a rugby team I can assure you. We must develop trust in the game again.

You are probably right, but short term the board and especially clone are the first hurdle.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum. We get that you're here to push the WA Rugby cause as a no doubt disgruntled fan but just a warning. Of your three posts so far, two have been having a go at someone. That's not how we roll. Consider this a warning.

Reg, I have been on this forum since 2005. I was only drawn to comment by the consistent negativity towards something that is both positive and exciting for those of us who were abandoned by the supposed national organisation.

To specifics, go back and look at Wamberal's other posts, they speak for themselves. I don't object to Wamberal stating his position but I can't see anywhere you have publicly mentioned them let alone warned him, but that is how you roll.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
You are probably right, but short term the board and especially clone are the first hurdle.

Killer, yes and no.

Twiggy I think has people doing it for him or he is reading the same stuff I am reading, maybe both.

What screamed at me off that paper article you posted above is simply by passing RA.

Every bone in my body says to me a new major competition is to emerge out of this mess.

Assume, Twiggy, Red Bull, BuildCorp, two SA investors, two Chinese investors, another three Australian investors and you have a 10 team competition hopefully all playing in Australia.

I can post some of the stuff if you like, but its what other sports are doing and that seems to considered by many as not to be posted on a rugby forum.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Killer, yes and no.

Twiggy I think has people doing it for him or he is reading the same stuff I am reading, maybe both.

What screamed at me off that paper article you posted above is simply by passing RA.

Every bone in my body says to me a new major competition is to emerge out of this mess.

Assume, Twiggy, Red Bull, BuildCorp, two SA investors, two Chinese investors, another three Australian investors and you have a 10 team competition hopefully all playing in Australia.

I can post some of the stuff if you like, but its what other sports are doing and that seems to considered by many as not to be posted on a rugby forum.

Yes I agree with you, as I said ages ago, as soon a Twiggy realised they had been unfairly shafted and there was no way out, he changed tack and started playing the long game.
As each day/week passes he is chipping away at RA's position of power.
I suspect he has powerful rugby people from here and overseas regularly communicating with his organisation including World Rugby.
No surprises The Crusaders are playing the new Force.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Reg, I have been on this forum since 2005. I was only drawn to comment by the consistent negativity towards something that is both positive and exciting for those of us who were abandoned by the supposed national organisation.

To specifics, go back and look at Wamberal's other posts, they speak for themselves. I don't object to Wamberal stating his position but I can't see anywhere you have publicly mentioned them let alone warned him, but that is how you roll.
2 years before it began?

Status
Not open for further replies.