• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep.

I'm not much of an AFL fan, but the Swans' game tonight was a cracker.

(TBF, I wouldn't have tuned into the Supe anyway because I binned my Foxtel six months ago.)
I even watched 30 seconds of nrl: Newcastle at home to a team from somewhere near the blue mountains ——- I wonder if there’s a rugby club there

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't stand AFL I think its the worst game ever have no idea what people see in it.

Me I switched between Parra & C'Bury and Euro Song thing.
Parra are Tah like and Canterbury are the Tahs dressed in drag.
As for Eurovision did you know there are cat videos and Russian car crashes on YouTube?
Sometimes I wonder if AFL is a con where nobody is publicly prepared to denounce it as crap —— except you and me ——— women’s AFL has to be the greatest beat up of all though: 15-nil at half time all behinds.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another Friday done and dusted by 7:30 east OZ TIME with the field left open for nrl and afl to grab those viewing eyes: c’mon Raelene, there’s no future in this

I not sure how Raelene is meant to fix a draw that was in place well before she was involved IS. Though I not sure how the draw can be done to fix it. Geez there going to be some upset people while the tests are on isn't there?

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I not sure how Raelene is meant to fix a draw that was in place well before she was involved IS. Though I not sure how the draw can be done to fix it. Geez there going to be some upset people while the tests are on isn't there?

I think this is one of the biggest issues we have, so much rugby from Feb-Nov. Yet hardly any content. We can hardly compete against AFL/NRL when half the time we don't have anything to compete with, and like you say come July we pretty much have just half/dozen tests.

Without a genuine domestic product with enough teams and length of season the game is f_____d, going up against the other codes.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
No one said Raelene would fix it for this season. However, next season is another story - the NZ teams have a Fri and Sat night game at 7.30 their time almost every week, they know that habits must be cultivated. Why don't we have the same is the unasked question. But wait good ole Rob Clarke was in that chair (COO) for two or three years, he didn't think of it during all that time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Parra are Tah like and Canterbury are the Tahs dressed in drag.
As for Eurovision did you know there are cat videos and Russian car crashes on YouTube?
Sometimes I wonder if AFL is a con where nobody is publicly prepared to denounce it as crap —— except you and me ——— women’s AFL has to be the greatest beat up of all though: 15-nil at half time all behinds.

I went down the road and watched the Bulldogs flog Carlton in the AFLW this year at Whitten Oval............

Packed stadium, good food, Two Birds beer.......... it was an enjoyable night and I’ll definitely go again next year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like AFL as live game but as a TV game I find it not so appealing...

Yeah, pretty much this. Used to frequent the local games back when I was living in the Far North West of WA. Which were big draws for the local community. Always plenty of movement going on. And there's something about being able to sit on a hill with a BBQ and beers watching live sport.

It's actually the one thing I miss about my time in Lismore playing for the Uni Golden Rats.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No one said Raelene would fix it for this season. However, next season is another story - the NZ teams have a Fri and Sat night game at 7.30 their time almost every week, they know that habits must be cultivated. Why don't we have the same is the unasked question. But wait good ole Rob Clarke was in that chair (COO) for two or three years, he didn't think of it during all that time.

Too much of his time taken up with matters Rebels to concentrate on anything else, I hear.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Another Friday done and dusted by 7:30 east OZ TIME with the field left open for nrl and afl to grab those viewing eyes: c’mon Raelene, there’s no future in this
Got me thinking IS.

2 things that people bitch about on this site.

1) lack of regular games at prime time to build engagement with fans.

2) lack of professional teams to take talent causing a drain of players to Europe and Japan.

So what if Twiggy could be persuaded to say include a Sydney team and a Brisbane team in World Series. Then there would be 2 more professional teams to take talent.

Then if the 2 comps worked together and aligned fixtures, surely there would be a 7:30 game every Friday and Saturday night somewhere in Eastern Standard Time. And Sydney and Brisbane would have a fixture every weekend.

Maybe the SRU provide the Sydney team which becomes a representative Shute Shield team.
Would expect these players to be paid less than Tahs, but it provides another pathway for players. Just not sure how the 2 teams would transfer players between comps.

I think this would have way more public appeal than the NRC,

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I not sure how Raelene is meant to fix a draw that was in place well before she was involved

We don't sign up for another five years of this garbage, for a start.

But, really, Castle is just a subordinate who will do what she's told.

Rugby Australia will implode before there is positive change.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is a wonderful spectacle live. Nothing beats a local derby at the MCG. Fantastic atmosphere, wonderful crowd participation.

No wonder it is so popular here.

Yeh I should mention lived in Melbourne in my 20's after growing up in rugby union/league dominated NSW, so hence lot of exposure and following of AFL with my Melbourne mates and yes was Richmond supporter.....AFL live game is superb but because a lot of aerial stuff does not translate well to TV....and well..my loyalty is with good rugby (and uncertainty of outcome to qualify as key criteria for that...to quote Raelene....)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I listened to Castle on Fox Rugby show and thought despite others...recognising what she says is in public...recognised the real challenges of Super Rugby for oz which is a) offers uncertainty of outcome (love that quote and use it often now) for last few years which lacks fan appeal and b) unlike our partners we live in the shadow of 2 rival codes and hence need to address that to protect our own interests....

Ok RA has failed to really do much to show they understand the issues in previous years/decade to support a good professional product...but I live in hope....lot of people I read on other forums critical of Castle on fox rugby program but I thought she did ok and showed some insights into the issues they face which is half the battle...ie. got to understand the problem before you can start looking at solutions....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got me thinking IS.

2 things that people bitch about on this site.

1) lack of regular games at prime time to build engagement with fans.

2) lack of professional teams to take talent causing a drain of players to Europe and Japan.

So what if Twiggy could be persuaded to say include a Sydney team and a Brisbane team in World Series. Then there would be 2 more professional teams to take talent.

Then if the 2 comps worked together and aligned fixtures, surely there would be a 7:30 game every Friday and Saturday night somewhere in Eastern Standard Time. And Sydney and Brisbane would have a fixture every weekend.

Maybe the SRU provide the Sydney team which becomes a representative Shute Shield team.

Would expect these players to be paid less than Tahs, but it provides another pathway for players. Just not sure how the 2 teams would transfer players between comps.

I think this would have way more public appeal than the NRC,

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I would love to see more oz teams in Twiggy Ball to be frank....Super Rugby screwed as I just don't think the powers that be understand Super Rugby unique in involving multiple countries in a provincial competition and compared to English and French rugby (as an example) which have provincial competition which provides more level playing field (i.e. each team competing is equal to other teams in terms of eligibility criteria beyond that for national French or overseas sides). Until SANZAAR and its members grow up and realise that and provide for more open borders policy (which could be controlled by overseas player quota's) they show how completely out of touch they are with creating a successful professional competition.

Personally Australia as biggest commercial entity has outgrown SANZAAR and needs to develop its own competition be that Twiggy Ball or something else. As Super Rugby run by SANZAAR shown it is brain dead to not realise that to be successful they need to create a more level playing field for uncertainty of outcome which current Super Rugby crap does not support by fact that players playing outside of partners teams will not be eligible for national selection. Dumb....commercial model gone wrong as any business person can easily understand....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would love to see more oz teams in Twiggy Ball to be frank..Super Rugby screwed as I just don't think the powers that be understand Super Rugby unique in involving multiple countries in a provincial competition and compared to English and French rugby (as an example) which have provincial competition which provides more level playing field (i.e. each team competing is equal to other teams in terms of eligibility criteria beyond that for national French or overseas sides). Until SANZAAR and its members grow up and realise that and provide for more open borders policy (which could be controlled by overseas player quota's) they show how completely out of touch they are with creating a successful professional competition.

Personally Australia as biggest commercial entity has outgrown SANZAAR and needs to develop its own competition be that Twiggy Ball or something else. As Super Rugby run by SANZAAR shown it is brain dead to not realise that to be successful they need to create a more level playing field for uncertainty of outcome which current Super Rugby crap does not support by fact that players playing outside of partners teams will not be eligible for national selection. Dumb fucks...commercial model gone wrong as any business person can easily understand..

Might add problem we deal with in dealing with NZRU is small country mindset who lack innovation to understand how they could make SANZAAR and super rugby better for all.....If England or France was our partner it would be a different story...Problem of dealing with a minor economic power who have great rugby talent but frankly very limited business talent to understand how to maximise that for commercial advantage....Lets face it if England had AB rugby talent pedigree talent wise they would have made much better commercial success out of it then NZ has....

P.s should qualify - this is not to say RA / former ARU is any better - clearly not - but they manage a code which lives in the shadow of 2 other football sporting codes and possibly 3 football sporting codes...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

You know something Kiap, I been watching Aus rugby teams all afternoon with mates who were all saying how good is this, a whole afternoon of watching the Aus teams, real super saturday! Funnily enough none of them minded finishing watching at 7.30 last night and having a full day of it today. So everyone want something different it appears!!

Status
Not open for further replies.