• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like the Force's lack of invitation was down to a thought around a sixth NZ franchise coming in, although that was mentioned as being unlikely (Wayne Smith, today's Australian). He couldn't resist ending his mainly positive story with a final Rebels Brumbies merge paragraph.

could it be more the fact that the Force have stated they don't want to be part of the east coast rugby comp?

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RH, you mention above (posts 16142 and 16144) the willingnessof WR (World Rugby) to largelyfinance Argentina and PIs to keep them viable. If RA or rugby generally in Aust were to face financial wipe out, do you not think WR (World Rugby) would be willing to throw some money this way too? I would venture WR (World Rugby) would value Aust rugby at least as much as they do Argie or PIs.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
could it be more the fact that the Force have stated they don't want to be part of the east coast rugby comp?

Could be but not how it was reported. I don't know how Force would reconcile bailing on GRR to join Super given the history of why GRR came to be. This year makes sense, maybe 2021 depending upon travel restrictions. They are an organisation who could do both if their backer chooses to though.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have always wondered what twiggy’s thoughts on the Asian sides in his comp are. Would he abandon them for the Forces gain? Or is he wanting them apart of a solution going forward?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, you mention above (posts 16142 and 16144) the willingnessof WR (World Rugby) to largelyfinance Argentina and PIs to keep them viable. If RA or rugby generally in Aust were to face financial wipe out, do you not think WR (World Rugby) would be willing to throw some money this way too? I would venture WR (World Rugby) would value Aust rugby at least as much as they do Argie or PIs.

I think this is a very good observation/point. I have long said here: (1) the only way the bad culture, competence deficiencies and governance system within RA will be fixed is by its de facto or actual bankruptcy and (2) the parties that will have the motivation to save Aust rugby and will save it and slowly rebuild its viability will be WR (World Rugby) and the NZRU in some kind of unison (but each for different reasons).

So my answer to you is: yes. There is a very real possibility of RA entering 'grave financial state, bankruptcy looms' Mk II (Mk I being in March 2020 when bar WR (World Rugby)'s loan assurance almost certainly RA would have had to declare bankruptcy). Mk II will come if either there is zero media offer for Aust rugby in 2021, or a very poor $s one with extensive conditions.

In that event in say November 2020 (and assuming no Twiggy-like or PE buy out offer for the whole code here), I consider it a near certainty that WR (World Rugby) would urgently advance further funds to RA/whatever is there then. Needless to say, the advance in these circumstances would call for and of necessity insist on massive restructuring of the code here at almost all levels.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The 5 NZ franchises hosted a zoom meeting with the 4 existing Aus franchises on Friday to discuss a way forward for next year. It sounds like the Force weren’t asked because they were starting from ground zero and then going from there, but are open to their inclusion. Positive signs.

What ever happens in 2021 is likely to be a once off, but could well pave the way for the future. So it would make the most sense to try this and see how it goes. Both countries have little to lose by doing that.

Source??

Could read a number of things into this.

1 possibility being that the Super Rugby Franchises are all about to be wound up and finished and this is their desperate attempt to wrest some control and stay alive.

I posted in the other other thread what I take is a quote from Mclennan printed in the Herald.

That means another opportunity for Australia and potentially the Kiwis to build a competition without the constraints of time zones and long haul travel. A competition fans can watch in prime time, two or three nights a week, featuring strong but familiar rivalries and fast, attacking rugby.

To me this is pointing toward an AUS comp more so than TT.

And well the Force probably happier with the AUS comp and not worried about their survival and seem to be back in bed with RA.

Then he talk about PE and selling Super Rugby, probably means the QLD and NSW unions will have to cede all control to PE.

Just wondering if there are competing agendas going on.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I actually misread the article when I read it at 4.50am this morning, I thought it said the meeting was last Friday, it’s actually this Friday. And our super franchises have a meeting with RA on Thursday, busy week!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
......Forrest can't skim money from a competition he doesn't own...

Aren't Australians very good at tearing down our 'tall poppies'?

Andrew Forrest doesn't have to skim money from Rugby as his net worth is generally >$10 Billion.

GRR has been one of Forrest's philanthropic activities to:
a) maintain a professional Rugby Union team in Perth;
b) maintain a realistic, and locally acceptable, development pathway for WA-based Rugby Union players;
c) create opportunities to attract more Australian Rugby Union players, who are playing OS, to return so that under current rules they are available for Wallabies selection ; and
d) work with World Rugby and Asia/Pacific Rugby Unions to grow the great game of Rugby Union in the region.

We know that RA was incapable of making any meaningful progress in any of these areas.

So far Forrest has been successful with all of the above with the final aim of ensuring that eventually, and in a meaningful timeframe, the GRR initiatives will return a profit and be self-sustaining so that he can direct his philanthropy elsewhere.

He previously offered substantial $$s to RA (reported as $70 Million during the Senate Inquiry into Rugby in Australia to RA, but it was rejected out of hand by Cameron Clyne et al at the meeting in Adelaide in 2017 (apparently without being presented to the RA Board).
I would think that Hamish McLennan et al may wish to respond differently, but it seems that the offer is no longer available.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still don’t get the hate towards Twiggy Forrest.. those who criticise him act as though he is the only person who is acting with a bit of self-interest in this whole Australian rugby community, despite it being rampant in the eastern states for decades.

The constant swipes at Twiggy just come across as jealousy.. shit I hope a $billionaire comes forward and saves the Reds when Super Rugby capitulate.. not likely to happen though

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Still don’t get the hate towards Twiggy Forrest.. those who criticise him act as though he is the only person who is acting with a bit of self-interest in this whole Australian rugby community, despite it being rampant in the eastern states for decades.

The constant swipes at Twiggy just come across as jealousy.. shit I hope a $billionaire comes forward and saves the Reds when Super Rugby capitulate.. not likely to happen though

There's really only one or two people on here criticising Twiggy. Most of us recognise his commitment to the Force and possible ongoing commitment to Australia.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fair cop, I haven’t noted who was actually saying what, just that similar comments had been made quite often

Status
Not open for further replies.