• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
South Africa also have a lot more depth and are a lot closer to Europe where the players are playing.

Bringing more players back for test matches is a lot more feasible due to the travel time being less than half and importantly no jetlag due to the similar time zones.

Bringing back far more players is also a lot more feasible at a RWC where everyone gets the long time prepping and playing together. We will see over the next couple of years whether they are as good with that method where the preparation times are shorter.

Economies are entirely different. Maximum a Springbok playing domestically earning is about ZAR R3.75m (AUD $330k).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
6 teams? how the fuck we gunna manage that. We can't put together 6 Super Rugby quality teams, period.

If we were going to add teams domestically it would have required a complete restructure of the entire comp, it could only be done in isolation (no TT), and the average quality of the squads would drop dramatically.

Also - why would we re-introduce SA into the comp, isn't that just rebuilding the Super 15 abomination?

I still don't understand, Covid permitting, why they wouldn't just do a 10 team home and away comp. That's 9 home games a year guaranteed. (edit: unless there isn't time for that many rounds?)

If the Aussie teams arent good enough to make the finals then so be it.

D, we possibly need to get away from wanting all, or any, of our SRAu teams to be at the standard the best of the Super teams in the past were. Without lowering the standard of play to an unacceptable level, we could conceivably run a competition domestically with maybe up to 8 teams of roughly equal standing and still be in a position to select a competitive Wallabies side for international competition. Would be something like NRC with all Super Rugby and Wallabies players available for selection.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Moving forward Japan really needs to be included somehow, Australia and New Zealand cant beat the money on offer in Japan, but they can at least try and leverage the benefit of the time zone too extract more money from the Japan market for their own teams..

Sunwolves was a swing and miss with how they were handled and executed, but some form of champions league including a couple of Japanese Top League teams would significantly boost the broadcast rights value of that comp within Japan. I think some of the Top League teams would be reasonably competitive as well, and they certainly bring marketability and high profile players to the mix.

I don't think including them in the domestic comp or super rugby comp would work due to travel and season dates, but a short champions league at the end of the Super Rugby/TT might work somehow.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
D, we possibly need to get away from wanting all, or any, of our SRAu teams to be at the standard the best of the Super teams in the past were. Without lowering the standard of play to an unacceptable level, we could conceivably run a competition domestically with maybe up to 8 teams of roughly equal standing and still be in a position to select a competitive Wallabies side for international competition. Would be something like NRC with all Super Rugby and Wallabies players available for selection.

To add to this, I think competitiveness and tribalism is a lot more important for a healthy league than overall quality of teams. Especially for casual fans.

People are going to be much more interested in watching two slightly lower quality teams have a close, competitive game compared to one super high quality team destroy the other.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To add to this, I think competitiveness and tribalism is a lot more important for a healthy league than overall quality of teams. Especially for casual fans.

People are going to be much more interested in watching two slightly lower quality teams have a close, competitive game compared to one super high quality team destroy the other.

Completely agree here

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s going to get so fucking boring if we just play amongst ourself a for the next 5-10 years, I was getting over it towards the end of this season

I want to see the reds play the blues, the Waratahs up against the Crusaders etc and not in a one off finals game, if a team has a rough run for a few years they could go ages without playing kiwi opposition and miss out on the support and $$ from expats that live in that state

well you'll be excited about what is about to be announced.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Final will be played between the top two placed teams on the combined competition table with the team who finished first to host the decider.

Does combined competition table mean points from SuperAu and Ao carry over? Makes it a bit more fair I guess.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Really happy with what I'm seeing. I'm wondering now whether there's a plan for National Club Competition of some sort - maybe playoffs after Shute Shield and Hospital Cup?

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
This seems like a good compromise, both sides play a domestic season and crown their respective champion, followed by a trans tasman season.

Whilst I would have preferred a champions league style post season with only the top 2 Aus & NZ teams going through, with sides from Japan and SA as well (as I feel this would have complemented the domestic season more and made it feel more consequential), this seems like the best option in the present moment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The time zone thing is sensational isn't it? Basically from 27 Feb (first weekend is a double header on Friday) until 19 June we are going to have a Saturday night prime time game featuring an Aussie team - which should be on free to air

(A selected match during each week of the Trans-Tasman tournament will also be simulcast live free-to-air on the Nine Network.)

That's the type of stuff sponsors pay money for.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Not to be a downer - but in the race for points in the TT comp the kiwis play 5 Aus teams - whilst the Aus teams play 5 kiwis.

Now the historical record will show that it’s likely one, if not two, kiwi teams could go undefeated... meaning an Aus team would need to go undefeated against 5 kiwi teams to make the final... am I reading this right???

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Not to be a downer - but in the race for points in the TT comp the kiwis play 5 Aus teams - whilst the Aus teams play 5 kiwis.

Now the historical record will show that it’s likely one, if not two, kiwi teams could go undefeated. meaning an Aus team would need to go undefeated against 5 kiwi teams to make the final. am I reading this right???

It's not possible for an Aussie and a Kiwi side to both go through undefeated.

EDIT: If an Aussie side loses one game, they'd have to win their rest to make sure they get four wins. That way is (say...) the Brumbies lose to the say Crusaders, they'll have to beat the Blues, Highlanders, Chiefs and Hurricanes to make the finals by winning four games.

Status
Not open for further replies.