• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't really get it. Before we couldnt afford them before, and now with less money we can?

The RA shenanigans do my fucking head in.

The whole shebangs changed.. no travel to SA, Millions cut from overheads. I just have to at the moment with the new management trust that they can afford it... They really can't afford to lose the force again.

I actually looking forward to Super AU next year then the Super Champions Cup at the end (I made up that name)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The whole shebangs changed.. no travel to SA, Millions cut from overheads. I just have to at the moment with the new management trust that they can afford it. They really can't afford to lose the force again.

I actually looking forward to Super AU next year then the Super Champions Cup at the end (I made up that name)
Also squad sizes cut and big salary players also not being pursued with more focus on youth for reds, tahs, brumbies, and rebels With the internal super rugby au competition and force backed by twiggy - Australian Rugby can’t afford to not have the force and having to cut its cloth to accomodate having the force and five teams. Hopefully short term pain for long term game but we need investment to cut the shackles and facilitate growth as only sustainable growth will ensure Australian rugby’s survival and relevance in a crowded and competitive sports market.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The whole shebangs changed.. <snip> they really can't afford to lose the force again.

Australian Rugby can’t afford to not have the force and having to cut its cloth to accomodate having the force and five teams.

+3

Actually, this was pretty much always the case (same for Rebels - a National comp needs a presence in Melbourne and in the west). We just have to cut our coat with the available cloth.

Got to feel for the Waratahs all the same. Don’t really understand how financially they sit so differently to the other franchises. We’re going to need them firing given they have a key presentation in our FTA initiative.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
+3

Actually, this was pretty much always the case (same for Rebels - a National comp needs a presence in Melbourne and in the west). We just have to cut our coat with the available cloth.

Got to feel for the Waratahs all the same. Don’t really understand how financially they sit so differently to the other franchises. We’re going to need them firing given they have a key presentation in our FTA initiative.
Perhaps a lack of a home stadium is biting more than anticipated. If our squad doesn't improve we'll almost certainly be wooden spooners next year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perhaps a lack of a home stadium is biting more than anticipated. If our squad doesn't improve we'll almost certainly be wooden spooners next year.

Seems odd, Derpus. With respect, Waratah home crowds haven’t been huge for years. Hopefully things settle for sufficient funds to build the squad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
+3

Yeh bizzare how Tahs become so uncompetitive to get a viable squad cf other super rugby franchises given biggest rugby state participation wise plus shute shield is best club competition in country by rugby standards....NSW professional rugby is just so not on the radar for Sydney population cf say Reds....which to my mind due to lot of NSWRU poor decisions including not embracing NRC same way Reds did as talent development pathway...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...and-rugby-miss-a-trick-as-mori-players-suffer

Interesting article, didn't know Moana Pasifika had been awarded a license. Rugby needs genuine domestic content, moving forward the 2021 structure is the right one, a full TT from 2022 will be a big mistake.

The broadcaster seems to want a full TT. It always amazes me that the Kiwis want full TT because an all Kiwi comp is too hard. (But the fans don’t want 5 Aus franchises because it is too soft.)

Presuming a full TT is a requisite (though I would also prefer domestic followed by short/ end of season knock out TT/Super), then what is needed is a level playing field with an overall slightly reduced quality.

Treat the full TT as one cohesive competition in terms of administration, rules, and selection criteria. A (single whole of comp) draft is probably too much to ask for but should be at back of mind.

If a full TT is necessarily, or by default, or even accidentally, a Kiwi beat up of Aus franchises - then we are back on the slow speed train crash.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The broadcaster seems to want a full TT. It always amazes me that the Kiwis want full TT because an all Kiwi comp is too hard. (But the fans don’t want 5 Aus franchises because it is too soft.)

Presuming a full TT is a requisite (though I would also prefer domestic followed by short/ end of season knock out TT/Super), then what is needed is a level playing field with an overall slightly reduced quality.

Treat the full TT as one cohesive competition in terms of administration, rules, and selection criteria. A (single whole of comp) draft is probably too much to ask for but should be at back of mind.

If a full TT is necessarily, or by default, or even accidentally, a Kiwi beat up of Aus franchises - then we are back on the slow speed train crash.

Wasn't it the broadcaster that wanted Super rugby and look where that got rugby in this country. it is NZ the strongest rugby country in the world that chose to condense its teams to 5 essentially Test trial teams, and then looked for a format to suit that set up.

The problem with a full TT competition is just like Super rugby it just locks the game here into a structure that cannot in the long term deliver the game growth in Australia.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...and-rugby-miss-a-trick-as-mori-players-suffer

Interesting article, didn't know Moana Pasifika had been awarded a license.
I'm not sure it has. Swift work by ol' mates Impey and Robinson, otherwise.

Ten days ago, this was about the extent of it:

… Former New Zealand captain Tana Umaga is enthusiastic about the potential of a Pasifika Super Rugby side entering the competition in 2022. Umaga was named as coach for the one-off match by the Moana Pasifika team against the New Zealand Maori on 5 December. A Pasifika team has been identified by New Zealand Rugby as a potential new entrant to Super Rugby in 2022 alongside a Fijian side …

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/1124/1180098-umaga-hopeful-for-pasifika-team-in-super-rugby/

Rugby needs genuine domestic content, moving forward the 2021 structure is the right one, a full TT from 2022 will be a big mistake.
Tend to agree.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Interesting article, didn't know Moana Pasifika had been awarded a license. Rugby needs genuine domestic content, moving forward the 2021 structure is the right one, a full TT from 2022 will be a big mistake.

They haven't as yet, once again let's not take newspaper as being gospel! It's pretty accepted that they will get it if they can get all there bits in order, but still have to get sponsors etc.
I not sure how it even works out when these teams come in, Moana Pasifika is in NZ conference and one in OZ do they get their money from said countries cut of TV money?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They haven't as yet, once again let's not take newspaper as being gospel! It's pretty accepted that they will get it if they can get all there bits in order, but still have to get sponsors etc.
I not sure how it even works out when these teams come in, Moana Pasifika is in NZ conference and one in OZ do they get their money from said countries cut of TV money?
I'd say they would get a cut of TV money. But - like you say - they would also need sponsors (perhaps even WR (World Rugby) contribs), etc.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder if there will be more changes to the rules of Super Rugby under the guidance of CH9?

David Wessels had an article on The Roar with "three easy changes to improve rugby right now"

I wonder if being a current coach will allow him to suggest his ideas to those in power?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/12/04/three-easy-changes-to-improve-rugby-right-now/

1. Limit box kicking

2. Limit scrum resets

3. Introduce ‘captains call’ TMO referrals

I personally would love to see box kicks sped up, once the ball is at the rear of a ruck then it has to be used, I would suggest a 5-4-3-2-1-whistle warning.

I don't want scrums sped up, I want the clock stopped so that a safe scrum can be set without the pressure of a clock as I think safety needs to be the most important thing.

I have no real issue with the TMO adjudication in its current form and do not see a benefit of a player getting to decide, I would have a coach challenge like the NFL

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree with all of the above, what i want to see in 2021 is:

- I thought the drop out if held up over the try line was a great addition, it had some big boppers running the ball back at full steam from 50m out. I want that returned in 2020.

- I would also like to see the minimum distance for a line-out shifted to 10m from the try line from the current 5m line, this is to limit the use of driving mauls. I’d also like to see greater emphasis placed on using the ball once the maul had stopped, far to many times the referee would tell the halfback to use it and they simply ignored him.

- I like the 50-22 kick rule and think that should stay as a means to keep the wingers back, and open up more space for attack.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn’t get excited if i were Moana Pasifika, NZRU will ultimately do what is good for NZ.

That would be one of your dumber posts Adam!
I would expect NZR to do what is good for NZ rugby, same as I would expect RA to do what is good for Australia rugby, I not sure what you think the what their jobs are? That's an honest question, you tell me what the NZR or even the RA's jobs are.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder if there will be more changes to the rules of Super Rugby under the guidance of CH9?

David Wessels had an article on The Roar with "three easy changes to improve rugby right now"

I personally would love to see box kicks sped up, once the ball is at the rear of a ruck then it has to be used, I would suggest a 5-4-3-2-1-whistle warning.

I don't want scrums sped up, I want the clock stopped so that a safe scrum can be set without the pressure of a clock as I think safety needs to be the most important thing.

I have no real issue with the TMO adjudication in its current form and do not see a benefit of a player getting to decide, I would have a coach challenge like the NFL

I not sure how you can speed up the box kick, more just make the clearance of rucks/mauls quicker, there is supposed to be a 3 second rule now.
Perhaps like Adam suggest the goal line drop out instead of 5 m scrum could be introduced, but please no to the 50.22 rule etc.
I must admit to being reluctant on may law changes that continue to change the game to something else, maybe someway of enforcing the offside better would be good.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I like the idea of the captains call TMO, there is so many times something happens in the play that effects the outcome that is missed.

Do it something like they do in International hockey, you can go back as far in the play as you want. You have to say which event you are looking at and that's the only thing looked at. Not the whole sequence of events, this will speed things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.