• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Keep tje same structure? Are they completely off their collective rockers?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Same amount of teams, yes. Same structure, well the article didn't elaborate on that. I reckon they'd go for a 3 x 6 if 18 teams remained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It feels like we are getting close to the Inifinte Monkey Theorem of media articles on this issue. They've so thoroughly contradicted themselves and come from every observable angle that they have no credibility.

So true. Lol

For instance the smh has no articles on the rebels potentially getting the cut but the Australian has a few. Haha. What a traveling circus

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Means: Passion Index to Save Australian Rugby = 10/10

A Very Good Thing

Well, just to be the voice of contrariness, I would say some good ideas posited in 250 pages, a lot of howling at the moon (understandable - the motivation, sometimes not the howling), a fair bit of "I told you so", and an outlet for a bit of angst and misery, with a fair smattering of o_O . A bit like any 250 page thread on here. :D

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So true. Lol

For instance the smh has no articles on the rebels potentially getting the cut but the Australian has a few. Haha. What a traveling circus

The SMH (Fairfax) have been on strike all week, so all quiet in the geerob and decent tom front. I think they've been relying on AAP content, so you know they had to google the word "Rugby" before they filed a report.

Think they go back to work tomorrow.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The SMH (Fairfax) have been on strike all week, so all quiet in the geerob and decent tom front. I think they've been relying on AAP content, so you know they had to google the word "Rugby" before they filed a report.

Think they go back to work tomorrow.

Well done making that sound like a good thing. Not an easy accomplishment.

L

Leo86

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Stronger as five

Im passionate and also stubborn. I believe so would be other teams supporters.

3x6 all the way. National footprint. Grow the game.

Stronger as five

Not singling you out, but this thinking is crazy in my opinion.

Aus can't sustain5 sides. Super rugby can't sustain 18 sides and 5 Aus teams. Expansions has ruined the company and turned people off the competition.

Australian fans have dissapeared in droves. PrimArily due to their teams being poor, have other options, not enough prime time viewing.

Firstly I believe it is about Aussie sides being shit comparatively.

Aus rugby is broke, it needs to reduce its teams to be competitive against a backdrop of players leaving to go north plus a cyclical downturn and lack of investment over the years by the aru.

Civil war in Aus will harm the game everywhere in the SH

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Aus can't sustain5 sides. Super rugby can't sustain 18 sides and 5 Aus teams. Expansions has ruined the company and turned people off the competition.

Australian fans have dissapeared in droves. PrimArily due to their teams being poor, have other options, not enough prime time viewing.

Aus rugby is broke, it needs to reduce its teams to be competitive against a backdrop of players leaving to go north plus a cyclical downturn and lack of investment over the years by the aru.

Let's assume we cull both the Rebels and the Force. Who would you add to the Waratahs starting line up and who gets dropped?

How many additional games do you think that the Waratahs would have won with the additional players (if any).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We are not stronger as five.

Lunacy if they stay with 18 teams.

If they have to:

17 rounds
8 home
9 away (or vice verse)
Play every other team once
2 pts win
1 pt draw
0 pt loss
Top 6 teams on points go through to finals and the rest play friendlies if they want.

Interesting hypothesis: watch the Australian players lift their performance once they realise they don't get a free pass just by being the least shit in the shittiest conference.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It feels like we are getting close to the Inifinte Monkey Theorem of media articles on this issue. They've so thoroughly contradicted themselves and come from every observable angle that they have no credibility.
Is that a theorem that holds that someone somewhere at some time will have correctly predicted the outcome.
Hope it's not me!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Let's assume we cull both the Rebels and the Force. Who would you add to the Waratahs starting line up and who gets dropped?

How many additional games do you think that the Waratahs would have won with the additional players (if any).
DHP is probably the only certainty but I'd have a good look at meakes and the second rower and I doubt they would have won more games.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Has the ARU along with the State Unions demonstrated an ability to maintain 5 competitive Super teams. A vehement no. In fact their own evidence is that three teams is the max.

Would an administration that was closer to excellence have been able? Same again going forward. I say yes, but I'd accept a maybe.

Cut any Australian team and this does not mantain the base and concentrate into more talent into fewer teams, as it would in NZ and SA. After a settling period you have then same quality of talent in fewer teams. And fewer players coming through a smaller grass roots to support it.

What you ask for inevitably leads to the death of at least professional rugby in Aus.

We need a different set p, now is the time to act.

Imo as far as Super goes, SH will be without Aus as things are proposed. Surprisingly enough, those diehards amonst us who see it want something else.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Imo as far as Super goes, SH will be without Aus as things are proposed. Surprisingly enough, those diehards amonst us who see it want something else.

Judging by the alarming decrease in viewership at broadcast and ground level, I'd say most people would rather watch anything else.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
New Zealanders are slow to recognise the real possibility that:

Super Rugby is not going to survive.

Why would it?

The thinking has moved beyond the competition.

i.e. … regardless of whatever happens in these attempts to try to salvage something out of the remaining three seasons of the deal.

The double-down on expansion in 2016 followed by a desperate in-season roll of the dice on contraction in 2017 was crazy thinking.

The idea that the bulk of $18m over three years could simply be pocketed by dissolving arrangements mid-contract was crazy thinking.

The purse will dissappear, along with the fools who thought they'd get it.

L

Leo86

What i think killed/killing the game. Japan and Argentina, conference system and shit results. People talk of tribalism. I have 0 connection whatsoever to them. NZ and SA on the other hand plus our history of rivalry, worked/still can.

15 teams 5 each from the tri nations
Round robin
Happy with bonus points to encourage trys
Have Japan and Argies in Rugby Championship.

The finances is on the state unions/owners. ARU stops bail outs across all 5 teams, if a team folds its on themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.