• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Half, with the greatest respect, can you please give it a rest with the stuff about soccer? I understand the intent, but in all honesty I don't give a fuck about that game. Yes, there are some things we can learn from what happened there, but like a lot of things in this thread they've been repeated ad nauseum.

Think of Dive Ball crowd numbers like this. McDonalds gets more people through its doors than any other restaurant chain in the world. Doesn't mean the foods any good.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Despite a few derby crowds, the rest are pretty dire, even in a year where SydneyFC dominated.
ALeague will always be second fiddle to Euro leagues, and in coming years even Asian leagues.
Moving to Summer was a masterstroke, but they didn't bank on BigBash

As much as the NZers seem to hate it, I think the only solution is for a proper conference system with more internal games, a conference championship and then a playoff.
SA also needs to play Aus games at 1pm on Sat/Sun afternoon to still make them watchable for an Australian audience. Night games for NZ teams which can still be watched at breakfast.
Our games against them are night games.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
What do you mean rugby folk? A guy in a blazer and cap and a guy in a suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Went to derby Feb 16, with my two sons, all of us almost rusted on private school rugby boys. Wasn't wearing my jacket but will next time. All enjoyed game. Criticise if you like, but that is where we are.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Went to derby Feb 16, with my two sons, all of us almost rusted on private school rugby boys. Wasn't wearing my jacket but will next time. All enjoyed game. Criticise if you like, but that is where we are.
I was criticising the fairly ridiculous assertion that a blazer or suit jacket made you a rugby type. I was not criticising rugby fans attending soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A disturbing number of recent posts basically saying SANZAAR, SARU, NZRU, broadcasters etc should look after Australia first & themselves second....

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
A disturbing number of recent posts basically saying SANZAAR, SARU, NZRU, broadcasters etc should look after Australia first & themselves second..

Do you live here? If not, it might be hard to grasp just how damaged rugby is in this country.

The other members of SANZAAR need to understand one thing, and understand it quickly. Rugby in Australia is currently sitting on the precipice. If changes aren't made, it will collapse. If that happens, there'll be no SANZAAR, and NZ Rugby will feel the effects sooner rather than later.

If a member of a partnership finds themselves in trouble, shouldn't their partners help them out?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Do you live here? If not, it might be hard to grasp just how damaged rugby is in this country.
The other members of SANZAAR need to understand one thing, and understand it quickly. Rugby in Australia is currently sitting on the precipice. If changes aren't made, it will collapse. If that happens, there'll be no SANZAAR, and NZ Rugby will feel the effects sooner rather than later.

If a member of a partnership finds themselves in trouble, shouldn't their partners help them out?

Assume that South Africa go to Europe. Australian rugby collapses and then NZ is stuck by itself (perhaps with Japan and Argentina).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Back to the glory days of ABs playing NPC week in week out. Ranfurly Shield games bigger than Ben Hur. Then when the domestic season is over we are going on proper tours without Super rugby burnout.

Sounds good to me.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Back to the glory days of ABs playing NPC week in week out. Ranfurly Shield games bigger than Ben Hur. Then when the domestic season is over we are going on proper tours without Super rugby burnout.

Sounds good to me.
That's not going to generate the funds to retain all the guys currently playing Super footy.there will be mass defections to NH

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I said that in jest ILTW because as a kid I grew up on a staple of provincial rugby before Super 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 18, 267 - and long AB tours.

I fully appreciate the world has moved on but it's therapeutic to reminisce once in a while.

There's no magic bullet for OZ or NZ for that matter. But I think some are jumping at shadows on here about the NZRU not doing their part in trying to sustain the SANZAAR and Super rugby model.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's no magic bullet for OZ or NZ for that matter. But I think some are jumping at shadows on here about the NZRU not doing their part in trying to sustain the SANZAAR and Super rugby model.

Pertinently false.

The NRL currently has a 5 year, 1.6 billion dollar agreement. This dwarfs the money that the Top 14 ($6-700mil aud over 5 years) & the Premiership is roughly equal.

That's right... the NRL's TV rights is currently equal to both the Top 14 & Aviva premiership combined.

There was a magic bullet, it's just your union is too short-sighted to see it. ARU pushed and asked for it, your union denied because they wanted "top flight football against South Africa".

Well now we're all going into the proverbial scrap heap, arm in arms, and it's not going to be pretty for anyone involved. Oh, except South Africa, they've got their own plan B up and running already.

Dead-set cooked units, the leadership from both our countries be.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A disturbing number of recent posts basically saying SANZAAR, SARU, NZRU, broadcasters etc should look after Australia first & themselves second..

Nope.

ARU should look after Australia first. What SANZAR is offering doesn't match this in any way. Then SANZAR/NZRU works out whether Aus is worth persisting with. I have no problem if the answer is "no", though I'd suggest in time this might change.

We clearly have no way of forcing NZRU to run with us. For me though, Soup has crossed the line and it is time for Aus to move on, or at least be planning to move on. If not actually "move on" at least work to something that works for us.

I have NIL interest in continuing to see Aus rugby starved and killed, whatever suits NZRU and SANZAAR.

I'd prefer to stay with NZRU, but not with what is on the table.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Sauron, I'm replying on WoBs behalf so he doesn't have to. I understand that not only has WoB lived here long term (recently returned to NZ) but has been a vocal part of the rugby community, and certainly here at G&GR. A rusted on fan who understands Aus rugby better than most, though still a Kiwi.

Doesn't mean I agree with him on this particular issue, but the bloke is not in any way naiive on this matter.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Within reason, yes, absolutely but here's some recent examples where I think people are pushing the barrow a bit far:

> South African games should be broadcast at times better suited to Australian viewers. What about the South African viewers? And are Australian games going to be broadcast at times better suited to South African & New Zealand viewers? I'd rather like Bledisloe 1 to start at 8pm my time rather than yours, thanks mate.

> NZRU should allow their players to sign for Australian teams while retaining their All Blacks eligibility. Does NZRU then get to manage their workloads e.g. "In the next five weeks player 'x' can start up to three matches but can't be in the 23 in all five"? What compensation does NZRU get if you "break" one of our players?

> A Trans-Tasman competition should comprise 'x' Australian teams with New Zealand adding a sixth Super Rugby-like team/ re-organising the well-established and at long last financially viable NPC to accommodate them. Never mind that we can't sustain a sixth Super Rugby-like team any more than you could sustain a fifth (difference being we've not yet been dumb enough to nevertheless try it) & what do we tell, say, Manawatu: "Sorry guys but we've gotta cut you to make room for some Aussie mob"?

Fully in favour of NZ doing what we can to help our Aussie mates but it can't be to the detriment of the NZ game.

Status
Not open for further replies.