• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

This from a Greg Growden article back in April 2017.
www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/19116818/aru-bows-new-zealand-pressure-cut-super-rugby-franchise

ESPN has been told by several high-ranking sources that Fox Sports executives were eager for a Super 15 format that excluded the three latest additions to the tournament -- the Jaguares, Sunwolves and Southern Kings. Fox Sports' preference is understood to be a competition involving five teams each from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. However, Fox Sports was told by ARU officials that "pressure had been applied" to get rid of one of their Australian teams. So Fox Sports relented, opting 'to fall into line'.

Seems like the ARU have been the master manipulators to get what they wanted out of this process. Unfortunately for them its going to turn out to be their own self-destruction and to be marked with the eternal stain of "un-Australian".

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
This from a Greg Growden article back in April 2017.
www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/19116818/aru-bows-new-zealand-pressure-cut-super-rugby-franchise

ESPN has been told by several high-ranking sources that Fox Sports executives were eager for a Super 15 format that excluded the three latest additions to the tournament -- the Jaguares, Sunwolves and Southern Kings. Fox Sports' preference is understood to be a competition involving five teams each from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. However, Fox Sports was told by ARU officials that "pressure had been applied" to get rid of one of their Australian teams. So Fox Sports relented, opting 'to fall into line'.

Seems like the ARU have been the master manipulators to get what they wanted out of this process. Unfortunately for them its going to turn out to be their own self-destruction and to be marked with the eternal stain of "un-Australian".

Yeah I think we just have a major case of serious arse covering by Clyne, Robbo and Eales.
Always bet on the horse called "self interest"

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Informal ARU Board meeting discusses the Smith article:

IMG_0776.JPG

Sadly, unless there's a law against buying something then doing something with it that the previous owner finds abhorrent, they'll get away with it, give or take a token resignation or two.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
yet TBC, no one I know has rolled over.
Even if the judgement goes against us there is still a long way to go.

What amazes me is, the complete lack of integrity in the process is clear by now, the option of a benefactor to help the sport is there, the relatively simple solution is there of removing Clyne and getting some "can do" people in power.
But there is still not a peep from any other State Union and RUPA also still continues to do SweetFA.
See if anything happens now.

B

BLR

Informal ARU Board meeting discusses the Smith article:

View attachment 9722

Sadly, unless there's a law against buying something then doing something with it that the previous owner finds abhorrent, they'll get away with it, give or take a token resignation or two.

What about knowingly setting up circumstances to circumvent a contract?

If there isn't anything from with that contracts would be broken every day of the week. The precedent set would surely be a massive issue with the courts as it would open a HUGE legal loophole.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ if you're suggesting that ARU bailed the Force out so as to "own" them in the event they needed to shut them down, I think you're giving them waaay too much credit (same as the guy(s) who reckon SARU put two of their teams on the chopping block with the intention of putting them into Pro14 instead. I just don't think that kind of foresight, as opposed to playing the hand you're dealt, exists).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ARU rejects Forrest's claims

In a statement, the ARU rejected Mr Forrest's claim that the process was a charade, along with the suggestion the decision to axe the Force was taken in February.
"This was not the case and there are no documents which contain this information," Mr Clyne said.​
"At various stages of this process, the ARU Board has requested recommendations and information from ARU management to assist with making its decision.
"I can only assume that Andrew has been provided with a document that contains some of the analysis that was undertaken by ARU management at the request of the Board, to assess the many implications and considerations for exiting each of the three teams we originally assessed, which included the Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels and Western Force."
Mr Clyne also maintained Mr Forrest's offer of support came too late.
"Andrew's offer, which was incredibly generous, was not made until after the Board's decision had been made," he said.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
^^^^^^ if you're suggesting that ARU bailed the Force out so as to "own" them in the event they needed to shut them down, I think you're giving them waaay too much credit (same as the guy(s) who reckon SARU put two of their teams on the chopping block with the intention of putting them into Pro14 instead. I just don't think that kind of foresight, as opposed to playing the hand you're dealt, exists).

Spot on. The Kings and Cheetahs lost players to other CC provinces because they thought their S18 franchises were gone. The Kings star player, Chris Cloete, in the S18 sign with the Pumas (SA version) for the CC and Munster for after the CC.

They would never have gone if they knew there is life after the S18.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spot on. The Kings and Cheetahs lost players to other CC provinces because they thought their S18 franchises were gone. The Kings star player, Chris Cloete, in the S18 sign with the Pumas (SA version) for the CC and Munster for after the CC.

They would never have gone if they knew there is life after the S18.

Yeah, I recall reading something on sport24 re: the Kings coach not being sure he could put a decent squad together in the time available, so many of his players having pretty much taken anything they could get rather than risk being left with nothing. No doubt that SARU played the cards they were dealt a lot better than ARU but it was still a pretty shit hand to begin with.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, I recall reading something on sport24 re: the Kings coach not being sure he could put a decent squad together in the time available, so many of his players having pretty much taken anything they could get rather than risk being left with nothing. No doubt that SARU played the cards they were dealt a lot better than ARU but it was still a pretty shit hand to begin with.

OK the Kings had Watson who nearly killed the franchise on his own. Thats why I admire them for coming back and perform the way they did in the S18.

If they can carry this over in the pro14 it will be a unbelievable.

Reactions: dru

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
yet TBC, no one I know has rolled over.

Even if the judgement goes against us there is still a long way to go.

What amazes me is, the complete lack of integrity in the process is clear by now, the option of a benefactor to help the sport is there, the relatively simple solution is there of removing Clyne and getting some "can do" people in power.

But there is still not a peep from any other State Union and RUPA also still continues to do SweetFA.

See if anything happens now.

This has been discussed and explained. They will say nothing because they have a conflict of interest and will benefit from the axing. Do not expect altruism from anybody involved in Professional Rugby management in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.