• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not clever and poignant - just a fact of life when viewed from the WA perspective. In June 2016 Pulver advised the WA rugby fans that: "From an Australian Rugby point of view, it’s not only essential that we continue to support RugbyWA and the Western Force but to ensure the game remains strong at the community level in Western Australia and that the Super Rugby team is given the best opportunity to succeed." Can you point to a single action since that time which supports this assurance that was given some 18 months ago?
The one thing I am hoping with twiggyball is they get games on free to air. As the fact super rugby and sevens etc only on Foxtel has always limited the growth potential in terms of fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

^^^^^^^^ unless he's going to cover the broadcasters costs I'd say there's next to no chance of it being on fta.

If the game doesn’t get broadcast there’s no merit to the competition.

It will have to be broadcast, it just depends at what quality or via what means it will be broadcast.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Could this be a chance for the On-demand players like Netflix, Stan, et al to get involved in production and distribution? It’s not FTA, but it’s not Fox either. Could work, if Netflix are prepared to bleed in the first few years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Could this be a chance for the On-demand players like Netflix, Stan, et al to get involved in production and distribution? It’s not FTA, but it’s not Fox either. Could work, if Netflix are prepared to bleed in the first few years.

Don't know about Netflix but Amazon are certainly looking to expand into sports broadcasting via their Prime platform.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Same problem - Netflix etc not mass market channel like fta...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

At the moment the key phrase is "on demand"..........

The likes of Netflix and Stan are not in the live streaming business, and I don't know if they would ever intend to as it would be a massive change to how they operate.

T

TOCC

At the moment the key phrase is "on demand"....

The likes of Netflix and Stan are not in the live streaming business, and I don't know if they would ever intend to as it would be a massive change to how they operate.

Agree that it would change the way Stan or Netflix operate, Live sports have completely different demands then current on demand services. However it is an area that Twitter have been increasingly looking at.

I also think Foxtel have some scope to evolve their product and have being slowly being moving that way through their FoxtelNow and FoxtelGo packages.

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree that it would change the way Stan or Netflix operate, Live sports have completely different demands then current on demand services. However it is an area that Twitter have been increasingly looking at.

I also think Foxtel have some scope to evolve their product and have being slowly being moving that way through their FoxtelNow and FoxtelGo packages.

I have been a customer of Foxtel for over 15 years purely for the Rugby and I have just ditched Foxtel Cable for Foxtel Now, so much better and I actually just pay for what I want only, which is Rugby.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forrest says his rugby comp will go ahead

Justin Chadwick AAP West Australian Wednesday, 7 February 2018

Billionaire mining magnate Andrew Forrest insists he will go ahead with his Indo Pacific Rugby Championship even if Rugby Australia don't approve it.
Forrest has been locked in negotiations with RA for months now, with the major sticking point being around whether players who feature in the IPRC will also be eligible for Wallabies selection.
Forrest has declared his six-team IPRC competition will go ahead one way or the other, with the start date still slated for 2019.
"We'll either get Rugby Australia's approval, or we won't. But either way we're going to roll, and we'll be playing internationally," Forrest said.
"This is a tournament that is waiting to happen, and will be fantastic for Australia.
"We've had something like 250 enquiries from elite players around the world.
"We've had endorsement from Rugby Asia. We know that World Rugby is completely on side.
"I think we get closer every day (with getting Rugby Australia's tick).
"I think if you have a legitimate love for the game and a legitimate interest in what's best for the players, you'll back the new tournament."
Forrest's deep pockets could become RA's way out of its current financial mess.
And the mining magnate showed he is more than just talk by launching a new junior rugby development program in WA on Wednesday.
The program - dubbed the RugbyRoos - will foster future rugby talent by providing fun clinics for kids aged between four and 12 to learn the core skills of the game.
As part of the new program, all future elite rugby players contracted to play in WA will devote 350 hours of their personal time each year to community programs like RugbyRoos.
Forrest wants to eventually expand the RugbyRoos all over Australia to help strengthen the game.
"Rugby starts at the grass roots, and finishes with elite. Not the other way around," Forrest said.
"Rugby has been struggling a bit in the eastern states at a community level. The RugbyRoos is a great way to build the community spirit through rugby in the eastern states.
"RugbyRoos is a long-term vision."
Forrest has already resurrected the Future Force Foundation, and he's committed funds to women's rugby as well.
New Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle says the door is open for the Western Force to return to Super Rugby in 2021 after the current broadcast deal expires.
But Forrest wants to see the Force back in action before then in his IPRC competition.
Force players Marcel Brache and Peter Grant have reportedly signed with RugbyWA to lead the side in the National Rugby Championship.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-union/forrest-says-his-rugby-comp-will-go-ahead-ng-s-1826769

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
About time........

Rugby Australia reaches deal over Western Force and Wallabies selection
WAYNE SMITH

As far as Rugby Australia is concerned, the “Wallabies eligibility” crisis with Andrew Forrest’s Indo Pacific Rugby Championship is over. Any player who turns out for the Western Force this season or in future can be considered for Australian Test selection.

RA deputy chairman Brett Robinson, the man who is heading the negotiations with Forrest over his proposed tournament which grew out of the Force being culled as a Super Rugby franchise last year, confirmed that, from RA’s perspective, the main stumbling block had been dealt with.

“We are comfortable with any of the footballers playing with the Force being considered for the Wallabies,” Robinson told The Australian yesterday. “Where we have drawn the line in the sand is stipulating that Australians playing for any of his (five) overseas teams will not be considered — unless, of course, they meet the 60-cap threshold.”

That potentially could be a deal breaker with Forrest, who on Wednesday announced that his tournament would be going ahead whether or not RA gave its approval. Yet it would have been a case of RA being wildly inconsistent with itself had it taken any other approach, given that it effectively bans itself from selecting overseas-based Australians who have played fewer than 60 Tests.

“We need to have the Wallaby jersey as an incentive to remain in Australia,” said Robinson. “Having Wallabies stars playing at home is important for the young kids growing up, because heroes need to be visible. Once you give that up, there will be little to stop northern hemisphere countries raiding Australia.”

If, for example, Forrest was able to entice Matt To'omua or Scott Fardy to return home to play for the Force, then they would be well and truly visible on Michael Cheika’s selection radar. But if they chose to go to one of Forrest’s Asia-based teams, then they would not be available for
Australia because they have played only 33 and 39 Tests respectively.

There are now around 180 Australians playing professionally abroad and the flow is ever-increasing. As players are grabbing the opportunity to set themselves up financially, the lure of representing their country is diminishing.

Even the All Blacks jersey is losing its allure, with Charlie Faumuina, Aaron Cruden, Steven Luatua, Brad Shields, Lima Sopoaga, Charlie Ngatai and Seta Tamanivalu all opting to accept lucrative contracts offshore over the past year or so.

A spokesperson for Forrest’s Minderoo group working on the IPRC insisted that Wallabies eligibility remained on the top of their agenda for their next meeting with RA on February 19. “We look forward to a continued dialogue with RA with the goal of securing certainty for any future elite Western Australian players.”

Before Forrest’s organisation launches the IPRC next February, the plan is to ramp up the Force’s strength ahead of the National Rugby Championship by playing a number of high-quality exhibition matches.

RA already is paying out the contracts of Pek Cowan, Heath Tessman and a couple of others ex-Force Super Rugby players who either chose not to head to the eastern states or overseas following the closure of the club, and the plan would be to build the NRC team — and ultimately the IPRC squad — around them.

Similarly, if Forrest’s organisation intends to incorporate the Pacific Islands,Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, into its set-up, as seems likely, Robinson’s intention is to help by trying to dovetail the IPRC plans with those ofWorld Rugby.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/fd3a9aab5b5219f74a452c76932baca8

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Common sense decision all round. Your are right though FF (Folau Fainga'a) - for something so obvious it is odd it took so long. Good news all the same!

S

sidelineview

Truer words were never spoken:
Rugby starts at the grassroots and finishes with elite. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.