• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess the burden is now on the competition to create a higher standard of play than the Japanese comp so coaches can feel comfortable picking out of it.

I hope this happens, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you think there may be a certain side really worried about a player drain of some sorts?

I doubt it. I think it boils down to RA not wanting to make players eligible playing for teams outside of Australia and some discussions over that.

At the end of the day this is the common sense resolution. Any players playing in Australia should be eligible and that is what the outcome is.

I don't think any Wallabies hopefuls are actively going to pursue a weaker competition with the plan of that being their pathway to the Wallabies. Of course we could see huge money thrown at this competition that will entice some but I have my doubts.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
BH here's a consideration as well a player may be thinking I can go over to IPRC/Force and get maybe 20% more pay ,without the worry of a salary cap that'll probably have to be enforced next year, or a team that may go belly up, play in a competition that could potentially be the next coming of the super and still be considered for a wallabies selection. Giddy up I say.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Western Force squad currently under development would have had a very different composition if RA hadn't obfuscated over this fundamental issue for so long.
The talk is that half the squad is already in existence and will commence training soon.
First game in April with a very interesting list of opponents.
Evidently more details to flow shortly.

These developments aren't for the naysayers - they're for those who have a strong desire to maintain a professional team and WA-based pathway for rugby players.
Bring on the IPRC in 2019. You never know - Forrest/IPRC may even let other Aussie teams join after 2020. (But that may have to be agreed with Asia Rugby)
CORRECTION: First game in MAY.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
First game in April with a very interesting list of opponents.

Can you give anything away? The Asian Rugby Championship (which doubles as a world cup repechage qualifier this year) starts at the end of April so a match or two against one or more of those teams in April would make sense. Hong Kong would seem the most likely.

Then you've got the likes of the Fiji Drua, Asia-Pacific Dragons, maybe a Super Rugby team or two in a bye week? Or a Japanese Top League team? There was some talk a little while back about the Wild Knights being interested in Super Rugby, but maybe the IPRC would be a better fit.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Omar
You've got all that I've got mate.
Evidently all will be shared during February.
I draw similar conclusions to you.
Quite excited.
Have absolutely no interest in what's happening in Super Rugby this year.
Apart from individually watching the progress of ex-Force players here and abroad.
CORRECTION: First game in MAY.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So has an agreemment actually been reached? Seems from that article that we know what RAs position is but no idea if twiggy thinks that's acceptable or agreeable?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't think Twiggy has agreed to anything yet, he will take what RA give but doesn't need to agree to anything.
I think there has been a subtle yet important change in the situation.
For mine Twiggy has given up on this board and is going ahead regardless with determination.
Twiggy is also gathering support from the grassroots with his Rugbyroo's initiative.
The RA Board finally have realised he is serious and is not going to go away.
They are scared of where this might lead. They are also scared of getting into a legal trap.
RA now realise they have only one viable option and that is to work with Twiggy.
The outcome of all this is a subtle shift in power to Twiggy.
IMO he is now playing to win rather than as before, which was to cooperatively work together with them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If it goes ahead with the consistent RA ruling (doesn't matter what competition: the player must play in an Aussie side), I'm happy it's resolved and am really looking forward to seeing it in action.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Everyone, Twiggy's comp wanted Aussie eligibility for all teams in this comp. A huge ask, considering this isn't the case anywhere else.

The Force compromise is a fair one, but the fact this took so long is definitely equally the IPRC's fault as much as anyone's (I would say more than anyone else's if I'm being honest).

Still, it's a good a sensible compromise has been reached.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Everyone, Twiggy's comp wanted Aussie eligibility for all teams in this comp. A huge ask, considering this isn't the case anywhere else.
True

The Force compromise is a fair one, but the fact this took so long is definitely equally the IPRC's fault as much as anyone's (I would say more than anyone else's if I'm being honest).
It was solely Rugby Australia's doing.

They can't have it both ways – having RugbyWA players under ARU "jurisdiction" and then telling them they're not eligible.

The policy used to be for players registered/contracted for the season in Australia. That could include Soup, NRC, even Shute, etc., slim though those chances of selection might be.

Still, it's a good a sensible compromise has been reached.

There has been no actual compromise on IPRC as Rugby Australia are still obfuscating, delaying (read opposing) the creation of the comp.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Kiap

Its the right outcome.

It took too long to reach.

Sometimes we need to acknowledge and accept "YES" as an answer.

I am no fan nor support RA in any way but we seem to be arguing about timing and given test selection, no one has been disadvantaged. Meaning I can accept a tardiness issue but am willing to admit in the end they got it right on this occasion .

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I am no fan nor support RA in any way but we seem to be arguing about timing and given test selection, no one has been disadvantaged. Meaning I can accept a tardiness issue but am willing to admit in the end they got it right on this occasion .

And yet nothing real has moved with Robinson's words. The announcement was a play from Playbook Delay.

GlumShortJunco-max-1mb.gif

Case dismissed.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was solely Rugby Australia's doing.

They can't have it both ways – having RugbyWA players under ARU "jurisdiction" and then telling them they're not eligible.

I don't understand mate, if RugbyWA (or more accurately, the IPRC) wanted Aussies to be international eligible from all teams (a big and unprecedented ask, as you've agreed) and RA said this was too much (justifiably) how is this solely RA's fault?

Maybe this was a negotiation tactic and Twiggy got what he wanted by having the Western Force players Aussie eligible, who knows. Still, you can't enter a negotiation asking for a lot then get shitty when your demands aren't instantly met.

There's no precedent for a modern, 'start-up' style, privately owned comp in Aus, so of course there was going to be friction. The fact it's moved this quickly have been a surprising. It's not the travesty some are pitching it as. Fuck, the similar private comps in the US took years to get together and I don't think they even managed to negotiate even implicit approval from the National set-up.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wallaby selection policy has nothing to do with Forrest or IPRC. How could it?

It is set by the ARU (and is otherwise only subject to the laws of the land).

Being eligible for Australian selection if you are an Australian player, registered and playing in Australia is the really the default position.

A test player—pick a name, say, Adam Coleman—registered and playing rugby in Perth (included perhaps in the NRC) but excluded from consideration for not playing Soup would have a strong case against a discriminatory ARU/RA selection policy.

I think even Brett Robinson would know that.

If there's no ground to stand on, it's not a case of giving ground.

But, regardless, statements on hypothetical ARU/RA selections continue to have no relevance to a potential IPRC while the ARU/RA maintains its delaying, obfuscatory blocking tactics against the competition itself.

Unless that changes, we haven't moved.

T

TOCC

Maybe this was a negotiation tactic and Twiggy got what he wanted by having the Western Force players Aussie eligible, who knows. Still, you can't enter a negotiation asking for a lot then get shitty when your demands aren't instantly met.

Thats an interesting spin on events, but from my perspective thats not what has happened..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallaby selection policy has nothing to do with Forrest or IPRC. How could it?

It is set by the ARU (and is otherwise only subject to the laws of the land).

Being eligible for Australian selection if you are an Australian player, registered and playing in Australia is the really the default position.

A test player—pick a name, say, Adam Coleman—registered and playing rugby in Perth (included perhaps in the NRC) but excluded from consideration for not playing Soup would have a strong case against a discriminatory ARU/RA selection policy.

I think even Brett Robinson would know that.

If there's no ground to stand on, it's not a case of giving ground.

But, regardless, statements on hypothetical ARU/RA selections continue to have no relevance to a potential IPRC while the ARU/RA maintains its delaying, obfuscatory blocking tactics against the competition itself.

Unless that changes, we haven't moved.

that's not the relevant example though. Plenty of examples of players playing or touring for Australia without playing Super Rugby. The more relevant example is if Liam Gill plays for the Hong Kong Fooeys in Twiggy Rugby, would he be eligible for Australian selection. I say now and believe this is what RA had the issue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.