• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Let me start, by saying I have huge RESPECT for Twiggy.

However for those on this thread thinking he is the answer to Australian rugby issues are expecting something from a structure that is less suitable than Super Rugby is today.

We need a national domestic competition, we don't need another competition filled with overseas sides.

The best way forward IMO is for an approach to be made to Twiggy when RA fall over to lead a Frank Lowy type evolution.

RA is living on borrowed time its simply when they fall over not when.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I know I'm a force guy and that but super rugby is seriously dead.

Dead? Practically, yeah. But it will zombie on for a while yet.

They're locked in contractually so Super of some description will be rolled out in 2019 and 2020 - even if RA is squeezed until the pips squeak.

Beyond that, I think events will overtake 'em.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's almost like they won't be able to continue though. Where will the money come from ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's almost like they won't be able to continue though. Where will the money come from ?

TV money is unaffected (for the interim - Australia's problem there will be when they look post-2020).

Yes, teams will take a hit due to falling attendances. Sponsorships may not be too healthy either, and I think "bailout" is not a word consigned to the past.

But they'll scratch their way for a couple of seasons.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can see the potential for other Australian sides to join WSR but not during WSR MkI (2019-2021).

I would think that WSR MkI will be time-zoned focused to avoid a lot of the issues faced by Super Rugby (time zones and extended travel).

That means that it could eventually fit in with another WSR conference which may be based on Australia's East Coast with inter-conference playoffs played as a showcase of rugby in the region. Perhaps even a separate conference based around the NZ time zone.

I reckon Minderoo will give WSR MkI a go, with just the Western Force, even if the HQ has to be based off-shore in order to avoid undue interference from RA. Ongoing support from World Rugby and Asia Rugby is likely to be there for such a move.

I see little incentive for Minderoo or the Western Force to expend any effort in supporting an Australian based competition which is based upon the Sydney-centric, very narrow vision as provided by Al Baxter.
As stated previously, there would certainly be a benefit in having the Perth Spirit involved.

I note that in the interview Al Baxter simply ignored the question regarding the source of the funds for such a venture.
It certainly couldn't be a competition which supports professional players unless there are dramatic changes.

I like others will have the popcorn on hand if the Al Baxter model unfolds.

In the meantime I hope to be watching World Series Rugby (on Foxtel and FTA) and get to plan some holiday time in the region to watch the OS games.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see why WSR can't work with just one Australian side (i.e. the Force). As long as some form of remotely reasonable broadcast deal can be arranged, there really is no barrier. I wouldn't be surprised if you got bigger away team turn-outs against Asia/Pacific based teams than you would against Argentina, most of the South African sides, the Highlanders, Brumbies and Rebels.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good FTA production and the type of promotion we've seen in Perth, in those other franchise areas, will be a good start.

Damn! It's a reason why Sri Lanka is such a conundrum. They would be a great TV product, packed houses in Kandy and Colombo, of which I have no doubt would occur with the above marketing strategy; but the overall team quality, funds generated and currency conversion, time differences, are such a hurdle to overcome.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't see why WSR can't work with just one Australian side (i.e. the Force). As long as some form of remotely reasonable broadcast deal can be arranged, there really is no barrier. I wouldn't be surprised if you got bigger away team turn-outs against Asia/Pacific based teams than you would against Argentina, most of the South African sides, the Highlanders, Brumbies and Rebels.
I won’t say WSR won’t work with just one oz side but would it be more desirable to have more than one oz side given initial ambitions of twiggy for the comp, and much less risk, most definitely yes. And I guess the point is sure oz sides locked into super rugby for next year but after that I imagine others would be more keen to join up and collaborate to be part of twiggy ball which would be win win for all.

Oz rugby fans want more local derbies...and really personally doubt could work long term with only one oz side long term and see twiggy burning a lot more cash if have lots of games between non oz sides like super rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What needs to be done is proper integration of the areas involved in the league with one another, to truly give it the feeling of an "our competition" despite the its international nature. True brand recognition of the rest of the the teams in the competition, as though they are "local" rivals; with promotion of who these teams are, and the culture around them, is vital. A free-to-air presence, including some sort of highlights show featuring a cast from all countries, would go some way to achieving this; as would all away games being shown live on FTA in the franchise area

Super Rugby let this aspect flounder, with the competition devolving into one where it split into it's three constituent nations so badly, that no-one was interested in taking on the teams from the other countries as they had lost any sense of historic identity, geographic heritage and brand recognition. This was a killer, as the beauty of the Super Rugby concept, which is long-forgotten now, is that it originally gave the greatest historical rugby provinces in the world a chance to play each other regularly, in the great test & provincial venues of the three strongest nations in the world. Super Rugby was truly a magnificent thing. SANZAAR should have worked harder at maintaining that aspect, especially in Australia, the potential financial powerhouse of the competition.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to get some insights into Andrew Forrest and his motivations.
Good luck to those of the opinion that he's not going to have a real crack at getting WSR off the ground.
"Minderoo is there to fight injustice and unfairness wherever we can".

http://www.96fm.com.au/shows/paul-lise/paul-lises-epic-chat-with-andrew-twiggy-forrest/

Can't wait to see what unfolds with WSR as I don't think that it will be anything like he talked about when announcing the IPRC - hence the name change.
Buckle your seat belts - I reckon that we're in for a fun ride.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A Force to be reckoned with: inside Twiggy Forrest's rugby crusade

David Allan-Petale - The Age - 14 June 2018
Let the players play

Even with rain lashing the stadium on a wintry Saturday night, 13,907 men, women and children turned out - most of them in Western Force colours - to watch a rugby match where the off-field scenes often had more in common with an American basketball game.

Dancers, flag bearers and a fireworks show brought the teams onto the pitch, kids battered the railings with clappers and cameras zoomed on a fan shouting 'Twiggy, Twiggy, Twiggy, oi, oi, oi".

Rugby Union has never been so colourful or so fun in WA — or so political. At full-time, Forrest went onto the pitch and addressed the crowd, telling them they were part of a push for a fair go.

"Out of every setback comes the seed for success," he said, voice ringing clear across the PA.
"If you love Western Australia, you love the Western Force."

Read more.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rug...-forrest-s-rugby-crusade-20180612-p4zkze.html

284ff8a21277c8f67943856223fe996a363b2f4f.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nope I think WSR will struggle with only 1 oz side but struggle along because of twiggy's money funding the cash burn....

We need more oz domestic sides involved in WSR to make it a success and I think you are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise. But I have no doubt twiggy and his team understands that by building a competition that other oz sides / RA would want to collaborate and be involved with.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nope I think WSR will struggle with only 1 oz side but struggle along because of twiggy's money funding the cash burn..

We need more oz domestic sides involved in WSR to make it a success and I think you are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise. But I have no doubt twiggy and his team understands that by building a competition that other oz sides / RA would want to collaborate and be involved with.

He has not exactly been given a choice as to how to take this forward.

If how the Twigg is doing is "Ok but to be proven" Christ I hope I can meet that mark.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He has not exactly been given a choice as to how to take this forward.

If how the Twigg is doing is "Ok but to be proven" Christ I hope I can meet that mark.

Yeh like you dru and most other rugby supporters we want twiggy to be successful and some salvation and respite from current rugby woes.....we know Super Rugby is screwed and most of us don't believe in the shrinking to greatness model so one can only hope RA and twiggy's team continue to work closely and collaborate.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh like you dru and most other rugby supporters we want twiggy to be successful and some salvation and respite from current rugby woes...we know Super Rugby is screwed and most of us don't believe in the shrinking to greatness model so one can only hope RA and twiggy's team continue to work closely and collaborate.

Enough said.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone considering that there is a chance of reconciliation between Andrew Forrest and Rugby Australia needs to look into the background of Andrew Forrest's comments in today's Sunday Times:

Andrew Forrest calls for review into Rugby Australia’s handling of Western Force axing
Nick Taylor – PerthNow - June 17, 2018

MINING magnate Andrew Forrest has called for a re-examination of Rugby Australia’s involvement in the axing of the Western Force following a Sunday Times investigation into the controversial deal.

The Sunday Times inquiry revealed the Force never stood a chance in its battle for Super Rugby survival and that;
· RA was brokering a deal to save the Rebels two months before the decision to axe the Force was announced and helped orchestrate the sale of the Rebels to the Victorian Rugby Union.
· RA money helped clear debt to save the Rebels and sign the Force’s death warrant.

A senate inquiry was held into the cutting of the Force. Inquiry chair Senator Rachel Siewert confirmed she had received correspondence from Forrest, who described RA’s deal with the Rebels as farcical.

“Since the first Senate inquiry into Australian rugby, further information has emerged in The Sunday Times,” Forrest said.
“These are serious matters and yet Rugby Australia remains silent. The Australian rugby community deserves clarity and I think it is important we get to the bottom of this.
“These articles show RA assisted in the transfer of the Melbourne Rebels from Imperium Sports Management to the VRU.
“The reporting sets out in detail how RA provided advice, and funded substantial repayments to enable the transfer.
“The transfer left only the Western Force to be eliminated.
“One of the main purposes of the Senate inquiry was to examine the process RA went through before deciding to cut the Force.
“These press articles shed light on that process and warrant the Senate taking another look.”
New Zealand businessman Andrew Cox sold 11,625,000 Rebels shares to the VRU for $1 under a “put option” that prevented RA from cutting the club.

RA declined to comment.

Of particular interest is the expose provided in the article as below, details of which are in stark contrast with statements made by RA officials in press releases and before last year's Senate Inqury.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/w...bels-sealed-western-forces-fate-ng-b88806001z

Obviously there has been a whistle blower within the ranks of the Melbourne Rebels..

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I think its only just starting to come to the collective attention of many in the east, especially at board level, the depth of the mistake they have made, as the original reasoning was those Rebels will react badly and it would be too hard.

With Alan Jones rapidly eroding, government and business confidence or what ever was left of confidence, add Papworth with his new war chest after selling TGM, and RA are in a spot of bother.

Also, the new CEO does not seem hhhhmmmmm aaarrrr gggg arrrrr to be able to make major changes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Someone else is spending more money on rugby in WA than RA ever could.

I would think RA would be pretty happy with what is happening with the World Series Rugby games and the players that have been given contracts there.

What exactly do you think Eastwood are going to do?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
BH

Yes RA will be happy money is being spent in WA.

Also a little nervous at messages coming out of the west in finding out was the decision fair.

Add how successful its been.

As for Pawworth he seems not to be a friend to RA and he is influential.

Add Alan Jones.

The RA board is under pressure on a number of fronts as is Super Rugby. I highly doubt the board will survive another two years.

Once I was a lone voice today me thinks my value system on what should be done is becoming the new main thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.