• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who Should Run The Wallabies Attack in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbieman that is a fantastic series of posts and hitting the like button doesn't do it justice. What is best is nobody can chuck lame bullshit accusations of Reds bias at you for expressing what you have.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Or maybe his loyalty to ACT rugby just extends to a couple of locals who are making good elsewhere. Either way, he at least provides evidence to support his arguement.

What is concerning about this clip is it demonstrates ability which isn't translated to the Wallabies. On the basis of last year season, I'm sure a similiar clip could be done for McCabe. IMO AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has regressed in the last 2-3 seasons. Neither Cooper nor Genia's skills are fully utilised.

I don't buy the arguement this comes down to lack of authority up front - even when our forward packs have performed well there has been a sad lack of cohesive attack from our backline.

Nor do I think this can be explained by the 'step up' required to test level from super rugby. It would be different if guys were trying things and being found out - there is a clear lack of enterprise and ambition in our play.

I do put some of this down to a general lack of basic skills. Despite the clips shown, IMO the catch/draw/pass skills of Ant, McCabe, Horne & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are all below par for international centres and I don't think this can be blamed on Deans.

I really hope Cooper's defense continues to improve this year, O'Conner & Lealiifano return to full health & Tapuai continues to make his mark as they all have the ability to bring more skill to our mid-field, but I am concerned whether it will make much difference without a change of direction from Deans.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cooper or JOC (James O'Connor) for me I wouldn't play them as a 10/12 combo as Scott was suggesting. I think Barnes or Tapuai at 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't really want to see Barnes in the starting side......... he's an attack killer..........

For me, our 12 should come from either Tapuai, McCabe, or possibly Lealiifano.

Having said that, if Barnes isn't in the starting side you definitely need to have one of either JOC (James O'Connor) or Lilo starting for goal kicking.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
s
Brumbieman's manlove for Ant Fainga'a cuts through provincial lines...

Not really. B'man said years ago that the Brumbies' greatest mistake was selling the Fainga'as. If they were Gordon boys then Ant would be a midfield roadblock and Dec would be a girl with project hair.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And in the Brumbies'case, Lealiifano set the backline alight while he was there, and Smith's contribution at 13 was instrumental in the wingers scoring many of their tries, with his straight running, drawing and passing game.
That is my point, the game plan sucked

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A few random appearances with no chance to settle in, AND outside Barnes, and with Rob the Butcher as his partner?

Come on mate, even you know that Tim Horan would've looked about as useful as a limp dick with those two on his shoulders. Don't take the piss just because he's not in a Brumbies jersey.

Its a crucial point I always make re Ant and McCabe: you have to look at their value as part of the whole. You pair them with players like Lealiifano and Cooper, and then you pick one of the more agile players everyone is banging on about. Its about balance: too many of their mould, and we score no tries. To few, and we let in just as many as we score.

eg

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Fainga'a
Beiber
Speight/Tomane
Beale

White
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

.is my backline for the Lions.

*Fainga'a, because he knows Cooper's game inside out, McCabe doesn't, and there is only room for one of them.

That backline looks a little 'light' to me especially when there is a strong prospect of say Roberts/Tuilagi lining up in the midfield and Visser on the wing. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) got dropped from the starting lineup for a nebie like Speight/Tomane then you'd have to say his career is effectively over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless he is injured, I will be very surprised if Beale doesn't play the first Lions test at 10. I think he has the inside running over the other contenders and it will take either injury as already mentioned or unbelievable Super Rugby form for someone to push him out of that position for the opening test of the season.

I think players with little or no Wallabies experience such as Lealiifano, Speight, Tomane etc. will be at long odds to play against the Lions.

In terms of wingers, I think Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins and possibly Shipperley will all be more likely to get selected for the Lions series before Speight debuts for Australia (even if he was the form Australian Super Rugby winger last year).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight isn't eligible yet.

And Tomane has at least been capped now, and was excellent in his debut against Scotland.

I would definitely select him over Cummins and Shipperley.

However, I would expect the wingers to be Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor). You need a goal kicker, and hypothetically our backline could look like this:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapaui
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Then for the bench:

20. White
21. Lealiifano
22. Tomane/McCabe

If Lilo plays anywhere near as good as last year he at least has to be on the bench with the option of a possible start later in the series if required.

My biggest fear though is that Nic White will be fit and firing, and Deans will opt for Phipps on the bench........

The worst thing about our 2012 injury toll is that a lot of good players didn't get test time and will possibly be overlooked for the Lions tour for more "experienced" players who aren't as good. That would be a real killer........

Anyways, this is all based on 2012 form. Still got some Super Rugby to go........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If everyone is fit for the first test, I predict the backline will be:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

Reserves:
White
Cooper
Mitchell

I doubt there will be too many surprise selections. I think it will be a natural progression from the recent EOYT with only some subtle changes due to the availability of players like Cooper, White and JOC (James O'Connor). Aside from the return of Horwill and possibly Palmer I doubt there will be much movement in the forwards.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Beale did a good job filling in on the EOYT, but I think he's far from being our best flyhalf.........

Going off topic, I still think our biggest selection headache is at lock and who will replace Sharpe running our lineouts.......

At least we've got options at flyhalf.........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If everyone is fit for the first test, I predict the backline will be:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

Reserves:
White
Cooper
Mitchell

I doubt there will be too many surprise selections. I think it will be a natural progression from the recent EOYT with only some subtle changes due to the availability of players like Cooper, White and JOC (James O'Connor). Aside from the return of Horwill and possibly Palmer I doubt there will be much movement in the forwards.

Depends how you define surprise selections I guess.

I would be surprised if that is our best backline come the Lions tests. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Deans goes with. Personally would much rather see Beale at 15 than 10 with either Cooper or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. If Lealiifano backs up last year would like to see him included on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Depends how you define surprise selections I guess.

Surprise selections to me would be uncapped players being selected to play against the Lions without there being a barrage of injuries to established Wallabies.

I think the test team will pretty much always be selected on the basis of building on the previous team rather than drawing a line in the sand and picking the form 22 players in the country based on Super Rugby. I guess it's on the mentality that the Wallabies are a team in their own right rather than a reflection of the form players from the Super Rugby competition at a given period of time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Surprise selections to me would be uncapped players being selected to play against the Lions without there being a barrage of injuries to established Wallabies.

I think the test team will pretty much always be selected on the basis of building on the previous team rather than drawing a line in the sand and picking the form 22 players in the country based on Super Rugby. I guess it's on the mentality that the Wallabies are a team in their own right rather than a reflection of the form players from the Super Rugby competition at a given period of time.

Don't disagree, that wasn't my point. Although at some point you have to reward form, I doubt there will be many debutants/rookies in the Lions series and, if picked I'd be amazed if they weren't starting on the bench.

But I guess I took your post to mean you thought Deans is making a good decision in retaining Beale at 10 & Barnes at 15 regardless of the form of the likes of Cooper & JOC (James O'Connor). I think that would be a mistake and I would be surprised if they were our leading contenders come time to pick the side.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the way Deans goes. Likewise, I won't be surprised if Deans picks Timani & Horwill together in the second row, picks Kepu at LHP or plays Tapuai at OC and Rob Horne at IC.

(Okay, I was only kidding about the last one).

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nothing Deans does would surprise me anymore.

Actually thats untrue.

If RD selected in-form players in their natural position with the intention of play an attacking style of rugby, I would probably feint.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If Beale plays 10 we're screwed. Has everyone forgotten how rubbish we were with him there on the EOYT? Just because he had a couple of good games for the Rebels, an international 10 it does not make him.

Also RE selecting newbies for the team: George Smith's 3rd game of international rugby was the 1st Lions test in 2001. He was MOM on his 21st birthday in the 3rd test.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Also RE selecting newbies for the team: George Smith's 3rd game of international rugby was the 1st Lions test in 2001. He was MOM on his 21st birthday in the 3rd test.

And the ackolades newbie Hooper received this year - he deserves to retain his spot (Wrong thread I know but I'm referencing new) Cooper to lead with Lilo close by

Status
Not open for further replies.