• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who Should Run The Wallabies Attack in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I will be very interested in the chemistry between Deans and Cooper. If Cooper remains fit there is a good chance that he will have a terrific season for the Reds. How will Deans handle a confident Cooper given his game plan will probably be very different to Link's.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
...How will Deans handle a confident Cooper given his game plan will probably be very different to Link's.
Awkwardly.
QC (Quade Cooper) will have to be the standout 10 to get picked IMO.If he is playing as well but no better than others, there are legitimate reasons to pick others(squad culture,defence).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If everyone is fit for the first test, I predict the backline will be:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

Reserves:
White
Cooper
Mitchell

I doubt there will be too many surprise selections. I think it will be a natural progression from the recent EOYT with only some subtle changes due to the availability of players like Cooper, White and JOC (James O'Connor). Aside from the return of Horwill and possibly Palmer I doubt there will be much movement in the forwards.

I fear you will be right. But the title of this thread is who SHOULD run the attack. On the basis of Scott's various posts, Beale should not. I want to see a return to good attacking rugby, and therefore I think Cooper should lead the attack with Lealiifano as back up. Beale is best at 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I fear you will be right. But the title of this thread is who SHOULD run the attack. On the basis of Scott's various posts, Beale should not. I want to see a return to good attacking rugby, and therefore I think Cooper should lead the attack with Lealiifano as back up. Beale is best at 15.

We're comparing Beale's form at 10 and saying it looks average compared to Cooper's form up until the middle of 2011 prior to a loss of form, a knee reconstruction and a significant period of time out of the game. We're then comparing it to Lealiifano's form for half a season of Super Rugby prior to a very serious leg injury.

O'Connor's form at 10 is being measured off two games for the Wallabies in 2011, one of which was against a pretty poor Barbarians side. O'Connor has only played a handful of games since after suffering back to back injuries in 2012.

My view is that the jury is well and truly still out on who SHOULD be the Wallabies 10 for the first Lions test in 2013.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Beale has to play 15. 10 he just doesn't seem comfortable in aka the sideways running. Cooper to play 10 and Beale to be the weapon to exploit what Cooper creates.

All subject to 2013 super rugby form but this is how I would predict it to pan out. I would like to see Beale at 15 for the Rebels and JOC (James O'Connor) as their 10.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Beiber should not even be in the frame for 10. Nor should Beale.

The only options are Cooper (incumbent). Lealiifano bench, and god forbid, Barnes after that. Everyone else is either not a 10, or hasn't demonstrated any consistent form at club level, let alone Super rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Brumby runner agree with the content, and Cooper with Lilo sitting on the fringe, but Cooper was fit at the start of the WC and our attack was poor (non existant, we kicked continuosly landing just outside of the 22). We saw Cooper's gifted talents in the 2011 Super Season under Link, then post Super Season there was a significant change in play. To say there is a difference between Super Rugby & Test Rugby could be a crock of shit - that Crusaders side the Reds beat was full of AB's and the Reds still prevailed playing a good brand of rugby. They played in tight when they needed to, but still spun it when something appeared.

Barnes, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Harris - A test player should be playing to the coaches game plan, should the players be critisized, or should the coaching be questioned.

Who should run the wallabies attack in 2013 - Not Deans!!!!!

T

TOCC

Beiber should not even be in the frame for 10. Nor should Beale.

The only options are Cooper (incumbent). Lealiifano bench, and god forbid, Barnes after that. Everyone else is either not a 10, or hasn't demonstrated any consistent form at club level, let alone Super rugby.

Lealifano had a good season of super rugby, that doesn't translate to an automatic selection at test level.. Beale has also had a few blinders at 5/8 for the Rebels...
Barnes and Beale have both lead the Wallabies to wins from 5/8, Lilo hasn't..

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lealifano had a good season of super rugby, that doesn't translate to an automatic selection at test level.. Beale has also had a few blinders at 5/8 for the Rebels.
But that was not under Deans, a different game is played under Deans

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lealifano had a good season of super rugby, that doesn't translate to an automatic selection at test level.. Beale has also had a few blinders at 5/8 for the Rebels.
Barnes and Beale have both lead the Wallabies to wins from 5/8, Lilo hasn't..

Yes, but Lilo's form at flyhalf in Super Rugby far trumps that of Barnes and Beale's super rugby form in the same position........

And no one is suggesting Lilo should be starting for the Wallabies come the Lions series, but if 2012 form should continue then he should be on the bench and a possible starter for later tests (most likely Rugby Championship/EOYT).........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And no one is suggesting Lilo should be starting for the Wallabies come the Lions series, but if 2012 form should continue then he should be on the bench and a possible starter for later tests (most likely Rugby Championship/EOYT)...

I think the IF bit is the crucial part of the sentence.

I think TOCC was really just replying to the post saying that Cooper and Lilo are the only two options that are worth considering at 10. Given how both of them need to recapture the form they had prior to long and serious injury layoffs, it is far from a fait accompli that they are the two best choices to play 10.

P

Paradox

Bieber has the skills to be a great 10. He was v good on the EOYT 2011. I'd have him in the same group as Quade and Lilo. I can also see Quade, Lilo and Bieber all in the same run on side at 10, 12 and 11.

T

TOCC

How about we wait and see how the 2013 super rugby form is before we start hypothesizing on should be starting on the EOYT...

As or Lilo, I'm going to wait and see how he returns from his injury before even considering him for a bench position... I think he will be lucky to regain his 2012 form before the Lions tour..

I just don't see how Lilo can realistically be considered a far superior candidate to Barnes and Beale considering both of them have had credible performances in that position at test level..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Brumby runner agree with the content, and Cooper with Lilo sitting on the fringe, but Cooper was fit at the start of the WC and our attack was poor (non existant, we kicked continuosly landing just outside of the 22). We saw Cooper's gifted talents in the 2011 Super Season under Link, then post Super Season there was a significant change in play. To say there is a difference between Super Rugby & Test Rugby could be a crock of shit - that Crusaders side the Reds beat was full of AB's and the Reds still prevailed playing a good brand of rugby. They played in tight when they needed to, but still spun it when something appeared.

Barnes, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Harris - A test player should be playing to the coaches game plan, should the players be critisized, or should the coaching be questioned.

Who should run the wallabies attack in 2013 - Not Deans!!!!!
Are you suggesting that the shit kicking in RWC was a tactic of RD?
Or is it poor coaching that QC (Quade Cooper)'s kicking game deteriorates from Super to Test level?
The Reds did beat the Saders who had plenty of AB's, but that is not the same as playing the AB's is it?
In any event jet lag won the Reds that game. Give the AB's the same prep and the wobs would have won a few Bled Cup games as well.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Are you suggesting that the shit kicking in RWC was a tactic of RD?
Or is it poor coaching that QC (Quade Cooper)'s kicking game deteriorates from Super to Test level?
The Reds did beat the Saders who had plenty of AB's, but that is not the same as playing the AB's is it?
In any event jet lag won the Reds that game. Give the AB's the same prep and the wobs would have won a few Bled Cup games as well.
I am saying, not suggesting the WOBS current game plan frustrates me, albiet the Super Rugby Comp is a different comp there was a distinctive different game plan.

This thread - who should run the Wallabies attack? Back when I played attack meant scoring tries and I believe with the game plan of 2012 we are putting the number 10 out their to be critisized.

Saders blaming jet lag - a lame excuse that I dont think they would use. any how, how did jet lag affect the win / loss ratio of the Reds in 2011, didn't they finish 1, or 2 on the ladder, I cant recall.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
How about we wait and see how the 2013 super rugby form is before we start hypothesizing on should be starting on the EOYT.

As or Lilo, I'm going to wait and see how he returns from his injury before even considering him for a bench position. I think he will be lucky to regain his 2012 form before the Lions tour..

I just don't see how Lilo can realistically be considered a far superior candidate to Barnes and Beale considering both of them have had credible performances in that position at test level..

The other way of looking at it was those players got their opportunity because of Lilo's injury. Another way yet of looking at it are that those players have proven faults in their Wallaby performances at 10 and Lilo has none yet. You could argue that both Beale and Barnes got their chances on the back of other players bad luck rather than displaying superior performances.

Before his injury Lilo was playing the rugby that would of earned him the Wallaby 10. This may be somewhat speculative but it is fairly hard to deny either.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How long has Lilo been on the fringe for, is he always injured, did he go out of sight when a different game plan was coached - extract from the 2008 WOBS squad announcement;

Players also not considered for selection in the Qantas Wallabies squad or the Australia A squad due to injury:
PLAYER Super 14 Team
Carter, Tom NSW
Edwards, Dayna QLD
Fava, Scott WF
Hockings, Tom WF
Horua, Tamaiti WF
Kepu, Sekope NSW
Lealiifano, Christian Brumbies
Roe, John QLD
Schifcofske, Clinton QLD
Va’aulu, Brando QLD

Of the above players, I dont read to many of their names out now??

Status
Not open for further replies.