• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am very jealous!!!! And only sell the third if it tastes like shit on the second.

But seriously - Good reds, particularly, do benifit from storage. I would be inclined to drink all three, but that is just me. I buy wine for the enjoyment, not the investment. Talking to a bloke once who was very proud of his unopened collection of Grange. When I pointed out that he could drink them, enjoy them, and still keep the bottle to prove that he had them, he didn't have a come back. Don't know if he ever did though... certainly didn't invite me. :(

He probably opened it, realised it was vinegar and used it in his spag bol!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Funniest story I heard along the lines of consuming cellared wine was about my wife's father (Ken), who likes to buy and cellar a lot (always for consumption at a later date). He went to his wife's sisters place for her birthday, and brought along a bottle of seppelt para vintage port that matched her age (I think it was a 1944 - and this event happened around 30 years ago, so it was getting close to 40 years old).

He presented her this port at arrival at the dinner party, quite happy with himself for its significance, and she took it with a short thanks.

Dinner was going nicely, and dessert was approaching, so he was getting excited about the possibility of her opening the bottle of port to share. He wasn't much for dessert, and this night it was a trifle so he was going to politely decline (in anticipation of the Para).

The trifle comes out, and he says 'oh no thanks, I'm full'. Everyone starts their dessert, and the sister in-law proudly announces that she has used the port in the making of the trifle! Ken promptly grabs some trifle, and starts knocking it back - he even finished everyone else's leftovers!

To this day she still hasn't lived down her apparent sacrilege.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
To this day she still hasn't lived down her apparent sacrilege.

Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!! That is worse the sacrilege!!!!!!!

A few years ago I was in the Barossa and did a tour of Seppelts and got to taste a 25 YO (I think) para. Me and my friend licked our glasses just to be sure not to leave a drop.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Tried to post this on the weekend, but didn't get around to it.

Thanks LD for the top local drop, I'm heading to the hills in the next few weeks, I might venture to Tumba-bloody-rumba for some more!

Attachments

• IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 267

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tried to post this on the weekend, but didn't get around to it.

Thanks LD for the top local drop, I'm heading to the hills in the next few weeks, I might venture to Tumba-bloody-rumba for some more!

How apt...Super rugby on tv in the background! (Perhaps a ice cold beer would be more appropriate though...)

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the place! I'm not sure how, but I feel like I should get into whites. I only really drink reds, and then only really shiraz and cab sav with random blends and occasionally a merlot and haven't come across a white I like.

Anything I should try in particular?

As for reds, any recommendations on shirazs alone the lines (and price) of the old captain koonunga, annies lane, jacobs creek reserve and convicts and catholics?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I get near death experience hangovers on even relatively small amounts of wine these days. Anyone know why that can happen to a gent? that the grape can turn one so bad.

Anyway, I have discovered Fat Yak beer recently. Anyone else on this yet? Awesome brew.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I get near death experience hangovers on even relatively small amounts of wine these days. Anyone know why that can happen to a gent? that the grape can turn one so bad.

Tip one - make sure that wine is accompanied with copious quantities of water.

Tip two - see if you can track down the organic / persertative free wines. Sounds odd, but I have found that the presertative free varieties don't seem to give the 'near death experiences' that you speak of. Having said that..... it is quantitiy related.

Tip Three - drink better wine. It is true that the better the wine the less the hangover. Again quantity related.

Tip four - If tips 1 through 3 fail, drink rum.

I get the near death experiences with beer so mainly drink rum and wine.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here's the place! I'm not sure how, but I feel like I should get into whites. I only really drink reds, and then only really shiraz and cab sav with random blends and occasionally a merlot and haven't come across a white I like.

Anything I should try in particular?

As for reds, any recommendations on shirazs alone the lines (and price) of the old captain koonunga, annies lane, jacobs creek reserve and convicts and catholics?

Whites - I am partial to a Sauv Blanc myself, or a semillon. If you can get hold of an unwooded Chardy they are usually very nice. Piont Gris is also not a bad drop - Yallumba does a reasonable priced one. Basicly start trying and see what you like. Just steer clear of anything with Muscat in the name, to bloody sweet.

Shiraz - I am enjoying a few bottles of Chandon 2008 at the moment. Not inexpensive I know, but worth every drop.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)

RT, I'm not much of a wine drinker, preferring beer, but my wife swears by a product called Pure Wine (www.purewine.com.au) that she gets from Dan Murphy's. She just puts one drop in her glass of wine and she never gets a headache or hangover. Apparently it's flavourless so doesn't affect the taste of the wine.