• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

RichieMo

Frank Row (1)
I was initially sceptical but I really enjoyed the mid week test. It wasn't competing with anything else and I enjoyed having something great to watch on a Wednesday night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d give Swinton a shot- at least he runs hard aggressive lines and it’s always a bonus when when he’s not carded.[/
Just saw your post Eastman on To’omua - good to see not only one who thought was invisible.To’omua to me was starting after last years wallaby effort then this super campaign which equally invisible on..to me confirmed To’omua dead man walking wise as hunter 12 ikatau 13 better option for me
actually I think better chance for next test is 12. foketi 13. Paisami with ikatau on bench and To’omua out of 23. To’omua been ordinary all super rugby this season and really was a case of give him one test starting to see if could reignite form in last years tests. He was just as invisible as was in super rugby this season so needs to go for the moment out of the 23 as also offers nothing X factor wise off the bench.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well at least MH had more impact than Valenti, bundled into touch by No9. Sorry but all the talk about finally finding a No6 for the Wallabies not so sure, Hanigan would edge him out on that performance.
Tah poster blah blah Valentini was Shit Brumbies Posters Hooper Rubbish... Reds Posters Jock Campbell over Banks... Reds Tupou should play 80 Brumbies fan AAA took the heat out the game. Blah blah blah.. so fucking tiring..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Didn’t think Valentini was as bad as people were calling out. He’ll be better for the run and I’m sure he’ll build on it. Swinton definitely isn’t the answer unless we just want a few extra stupid penalties and cards to go with them.

Think Gordon had a shocker. Lots of chat of Tate not getting the starting nod because of his gaps in kicking but Gordon is arguably worse. Hoping to see Tate start and Lonegan jump on the bench in place of Gordon.
Yeh I would be starting Tate ahead of Gordon on that game. Not willing to give up on Gordon so just back to the bench

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m not sure what LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s trigger is, Thorn managed to pull it a few times obviously for some big games, but the bloke doesn’t seem to have the same amount of ooooopht that he did. By no means one of the worst players on ground, but I’d expect his work in contact to be a bit more dynamic.

If I were a selector I’d be starting Swain next game, dropping LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to the bench and Hope that ignites him. We want him to have the type of go forward Uru was providing for the Reds, and he is capable.
Swain impressed me off the bench - good wallaby debut

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That’s bullshit BR and you know that- White has had countless shockers in his career where people have been screaming for him never to play another test again.

What this game showed is that coming on against a tired and disjointed forward pack is alaways going to suit a player whose core skills are sniping and running the football.

Best sniping No9 in world rugby would have to be Aaron Smith. Don't often see him coming on after 60 minutes. Tate adds a level of danger to oppositions that Jake just doesn't.

Incidentally, most supporters of Jake point to his running game as a point of difference. The truth is that he really doesn't have much of a running game - he is an excellent support player for any breaks, but makes very few of his own. Tate is a level up on all counts.

Nic White is criticised by supporters of teams other than the Brumbies but he is a much better organiser and more accurate box kicker than any of his competitors for the No 9 spot. He would have been able to get the Wallabies out of trouble a lot easier than they were able tonight.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
To be honest, it was headless chook from us in the last 5-8 mins until that last lineout when France went full-rétard and Mcdermott pounced. It was a good break for us, and, to their credit, they got it done.
So, a bit muppet, at least!

I think both sides were guilty of poor game closure. We do not appear to have rehearsed an exit strategy when less than three points behind with two minutes left.

Then again, this comes as no surprise given our Super Rugby performances this season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well at least MH had more impact than Valenti, bundled into touch by No9. Sorry but all the talk about finally finding a No6 for the Wallabies not so sure, Hanigan would edge him out on that performance.

I have little doubt Hanigan would be better than Valenti whomever he is. But Valetini is a class above Hanigan. FFS, get the names right will you. I might then take your comments seriously.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
He's had many times the influence on the game that MH has had. Not all of it legal, mind, but just doing what a No 7 should be doing.

I'm glad the game's a lot safer for players now than say 30 years ago. That said, wouldn't it be great if he took a few souvenirs back to the hotel room tonight. No, I'm not referring to Caxton Street. For a start, there's nothing worth picking up on Cakko.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Tah poster blah blah Valentini was Shit Brumbies Posters Hooper Rubbish. Reds Posters Jock Campbell over Banks. Reds Tupou should play 80 Brumbies fan AAA took the heat out the game. Blah blah blah.. so fucking tiring..

Meh
Valentini was pretty average
Hooper went ok
Banks was also pretty average but not sure jock would have done any better
Tupou made a big difference when he came on, as did Tate.
Hard to argue with any of those statements regardless of where your bias lies

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have little doubt Hanigan would be better than Valenti whomever he is. But Valetini is a class above Hanigan. FFS, get the names right will you. I might then take your comments seriously.

Nah. Hanigan put in some pretty solid Wallaby performances last year. Something Valetini hasn't done yet. Not quite class above.

You are on point about missing White though. Why can't our 9s kick? @

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nah. Hanigan put in some pretty solid Wallaby performances last year. Something Valetini hasn't done yet. Not quite class above.

You are on point about missing White though. Why can't our 9s kick? @

It's the Australian way..isn't it. To be fair we don't value field position and kick pressure enough.. we should strangled the French out that game we had a better lineout and scrum overall.. we should have put so much pressure on them.. it shouldn't have been close... In the end though it got us home..Swain getting up pressuring the lineout, Tate judging were the ball would go..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Enjoyed the test. Both teams you would think would be better for the run, and I had feeling the Wallabies have more improvement in them than perhaps the French.Some of the French team I wondered what they were doing, the 7 who twice got ball and just stood there waiting for contact amused me, the finish was something only the French could do;).
Think the Wallabies went ok, looked very scratchy, but like French only first rub of the year, so you would expect some improvement.
I think Wallaby supporters should be feeling quietly happy this morning, and still excited to see what comes in next test.
So good on ya fellas.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hate to disappoint some of you prone to overreaction but he will- he had an average game but his core skill set is still better than Tate’s and every halfback looks impressive coming on the field on the 60th minute against a tired/ disjointed pack.

Core skills better? Based on what? Last night's performance?

Gordon passed a try scoring run by Pasami forward.
Gordon rolled the ball forward in a ruck.
Gordon passed a right to left pass from to Noah as first reciever so much in front of Noah, he has to dive to catch it. Killing any momentum.
We were told Gordon was picked for his kicking game. Was that based on his 5 metre box kick that instead of relieving defensive pressure it added to it?

Its nothing to do with him being a Tah. It's him being so underdone from his injury that he did not have enough game time under his belt.

Tate demonstrated more in 20 minutes than Jake did in 60.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I take a lot of positivity out of that game. Was super impressed with that French side. While they haven’t played may tests I’d suggest they’ve played heaps more professional games (including 6 Nations U20s etc) than our lads. That makes a real difference.

Backrow was very good. Valetini still not quite imposing himself like we want but he was involved. I liked the work of both locks. Lots of dirty work. In fact I think the tight five all did their job early. It was a tough battle. The French really took it to them.

Gordon was messy. Loloesio still finding his way but I think he’s doing a terrific job for one so young. Paisami I’ll back. He looked our most dangerous back and I liked his kick to kellaway option. A few too many handling errors though. To'omua was fine. Not much more.

Fullback is a concern. Banks still not showing enough. Obviously a very shaky start to the game but his option taking his questionable and he just doesn’t pose a threat in attack.

Will be very interesting next team they name.