• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
On topic, thought the wallabies did a lot towards losing the match, and then the French said "hold my beer" and showed how to really snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It just wasn't a very good watch I thought.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There is an amazing amount of conjecture about whether we should play our best team next game or try some of the other squad members before running out our best team for the third game. What I want to know is this: Based on this game how on earth could you tell what is our best team? The game was a clusterfuck and had we played NZ they would likely have put 80 on us.

The core skills on show would suggest to me that a lot of the first test team are nowhere near our best selection - the only unknown is whether those in the rest of the squad would have been any better. Maybe it was just rust and they'll be much better second time out, but I think the selectors will be seriously scratching their heads on what to do with the choices for the next two games. Like any armchair critic I've got my own theories on selection, but my level of confidence that I would be right is not that high after Wednesday.

IMO, anyone full of certainty after Wednesday probably didn't watch the match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There is an amazing amount of conjecture about whether we should play our best team next game or try some of the other squad members before running out our best team for the third game. What I want to know is this: Based on this game how on earth could you tell what is our best team? The game was a clusterfuck and had we played NZ they would likely have put 80 on us.

The core skills on show would suggest to me that a lot of the first test team are nowhere near our best selection - the only unknown is whether those in the rest of the squad would have been any better. Maybe it was just rust and they'll be much better second time out, but I think the selectors will be seriously scratching their heads on what to do with the choices for the next two games. Like any armchair critic I've got my own theories on selection, but my level of confidence that I would be right is not that high after Wednesday.

I'd be keen to seen the exact same team. If they fail at basic execution as badly as they did then it's a lot easier to conclude some of them are not up to scratch. The first game of the season? could mean anything.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd be keen to seen the exact same team. If they fail at basic execution as badly as they did then it's a lot easier to conclude some of them are not up to scratch. The first game of the season? could mean anything.
Still shits me though that being rusty/ first game back is an excuse for some, but others play quite well . Being first test of the year doesn’t seem to be a problem for the entire squad , but an excuse for others.

Keep it real please!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Still shits me though that being rusty/ first game back is an excuse for some, but others play quite well . Being first test of the year doesn’t seem to be a problem for the entire squad , but an excuse for others.

Keep it real please!

I guess so. I think it's tough for a backline that just met to work properly. But some of the individual errors were less forgivable.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That old chestnut.

To answer your question, no it wasn't our strongest side. Our strongest side has Tupou starting, JOC (James O'Connor) and White in it, Rodda eventually, at least one 'Giteau' rule player, and the 2 foreign player rule players.

Keep it real please!

'Rust' is a perennial trait of the Wallabies in the first test of the year, forever. Even the All Blacks suffer from it, it just wasn't evident in their first because they played an amateur club side.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have to play your best team for this match in order to give yourself the best chance of securing the series. It is 6 days between the tests so not too different from a normal window. Play around with selections if the third test becomes a “dead” rubber.
The best thing for this squad now would be a couple of convincing wins heading into the RC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes it’s the gap between the 2nd and 3rd test which is the real challenge, that’s only 4 days.