• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With White definitely not available it would not surprise to see the 2 halfbacks roles reversed and maybe even Lornegan coming in. It’s unlikely that they both will play all 3 tests.

More likely swapped, we don't know how much training Gordon was actually doing

As well as early the French were rushing effectively giving no space, later in the game that slowed markedly

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I didn't mind Valetini's game. He was still going hard in the final minutes, and despite a few mistakes he's definitely worth persisting with. Clearly a tactic to have him roaming in the wider channels so I can't be too annoyed with his slightly lower work rate.

I do like the balance of Valetini/Hooper/Wilson, and think it could take us to the World Cup if we give it time.

Yeah he wasn't terrible but still hasn't made the impact we'd like. Most of the inexperienced guys who underperformed last night you'd give a second chance, but To'omua is definitely on a downward trajectory. Our two worst were Gordon and Banks, Gordon was rushed back in from injury and Banks might have needed the hit out, but patience is wearing a bit thin on both.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rennie said in the post game presser that he would choose his strongest team for Game 2, but that didn't mean that there would be no rotation.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Ok. I thought that I saw both training with the squad.

Looks like both of them are indeed training with the squad.

Seems like there were a number of other 'non-squad' members in the change rooms too. Uelese and McInerney were both in tracksuits in the change rooms after the game singing the anthem.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Given I'll think we won't want play our guys too hard in game 2 (in case we need them for game 3).
My predicted team for game 3.
1 Bell
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Timani
6 Leota
7 McReight
8 Naisarani
9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (if fit)
11 Daugunu
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau/Hodge
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge/Banks

16 Lonergan
17 Fa'amausili
18 Ala'alatoa
19 Swain
20 Wilson
21 Gordon/Lonergan
22 Lolesio
23 Foketi

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought that Rennie had said that he will put out his best side for test 2? Also that doing so would not rule out multiple changes.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is by no means a whinge, I'm just happy to have a visiting test team, and I completely understand the congested schedule. But..I reckon they should have agreed to just make next Tuesday's game Australia 'A' v France 'A'. I'm guessing the reason they didn't do that was that France needed the lure of a test cap to get everyone out here, but in principle it would have made more sense.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Valetini was fine.

I’d love to see him trampling blokes - but that doesn’t happen that often at test level. But, from memory, he had a good work rate and all bar one of his carry’s he was strong in contact. ESPN stats have him at 32 metres from 13 runs.

Getting tackled into touch in general play is a bit of a cardinal sin IMO, but that aside I thought he was sound.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Valetini was fine.

I’d love to see him trampling blokes - but that doesn’t happen that often at test level. But, from memory, he had a good work rate and all bar one of his carry’s he was strong in contact. ESPN stats have him at 32 metres from 13 runs.

Getting tackled into touch in general play is a bit of a cardinal sin IMO, but that aside I thought he was sound.

Worse when you were man-handled by a 9. :eek:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would play best team for every match. We have seen NRL players back up after mid week SOO games.

It's also not 3 games in 11 days that they're asked to play. The NRL game is lower intensity than SoO and ultimately it's the players' choice whether they back up.

We've then got a month off before 6 Rugby Championship tests and I think that Rennie will be cautious not to overcook anyone. The game management of each player will be specific to them. They'll have a fair idea who they can push to back up and who should be managed more carefully.

This is by no means a whinge, I'm just happy to have a visiting test team, and I completely understand the congested schedule. But..I reckon they should have agreed to just make next Tuesday's game Australia 'A' v France 'A'. I'm guessing the reason they didn't do that was that France needed the lure of a test cap to get everyone out here, but in principle it would have made more sense.

It's just about money. You make it a 2 test series with an A game in the middle and instantly the value of the broadcast rights, tickets to the A game and overall revenue for the series decrease.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It was a bad play to pass it to him (was it Banks?).

He never had much room and the far better option would have been for Banks to take the tackle and for Valetini to secure the ruck.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
They all don't but they have the option to, and would they back up for another SOO match?

This will get downvoted(?) but State of Origin is far more physically demanding than any rugby test match (bar the occasional brutal ABs/ Springboks match).