• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This will get downvoted(?) but State of Origin is far more physically demanding than any rugby test match (bar the occasional brutal ABs/ Springboks match).

They are both games played at speed, that’s where most of the fatigue comes from, the players in both codes are all conditioned for the physicality.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's hard to know what to do with the next game, the French have stated they are going to save their strongest team for the last game, so do we double down for the next game to try to win the series now, and then potentially lose the third game with a lesser team, or roll with them for this game. I'd probably go the latter option, but I wouldn't make wholesale changes, just give most of the returning injured players the extra time for the third game. As a start I'd probably switch the bench from last night into the starting lineup, and have Hooper on the bench but only use him sparingly if at all:

1. Bell
2. Lonergan
3. Tupou
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Naisarani
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Kellaway
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

16. BPA
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Hooper
21. Gordon
22. To'omua
23. Hodge

KOB, that's not a bad looking side for Test No 2. It is a risk though to take what the French coach says at fgace value, would you not agree?

Personally, I'd stick with Slipper and BPA in the starters, just in case. I do like the partnering of Swain and Philip in the second row. and if anything that should even strengthen the lineout.

That backrow just needs to be tried, and Valetini needs another opportunity to dominate as we all know he can.

McDermott is a must at No 9. I would bring JOC (James O'Connor) into 10 with Noah on the bench to better run the show. Foketi/Ikitau is just too much change and too green I think. Ikitau should get a chance with Paisami moving to his correct spot at 12.

Back three is good.

On the bench, I'm afraid I would not have MT anywhere near the team. I hate to say it, because he has always been a favourite of mine, but he is well past his use-by date imo.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dunno - I’ve know lots of short guys and they’re generally angry at the world.

Haha! Yes they are. I'd still be more embarrassed being man-handled by a small angry bloke than a big angry bloke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Nice to see Hooper endorsing Lolesio at the end there. These young guys do need some time to get comfortable at Test level.

Agreed and apparently Will Genia is of the same view - I've just been reading an article by him at The Roar backing him in a similar way.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If Banks can't execute one of his core skills while fresh in a low stakes game, what hope does he have to do it while fatigued and under pressure?

I also wasn't happy that Hunter kicked, but we were chasing the game. Out of the '3' play makers; Gordon, Noah, and To'omua, Hunter's option taking seemed to be the only one that questioned the French.

If kicking for touch on a penalty is a core skill for a fullback, then I am flabbergasted by how many teams around the world don't kn ow this and have such minor illuminaries as Mo'unga, Barretts etc doing their thing.

Incidentally, how many touches did TB miss later in the game (ie anytime after the first five minutes) as he fatigued? Why is a missed touch finder any more worthy of criticism than a lineout overthrow, crooked throw, poor jump etc?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I must say with Paisamis kicking game makes added joy to watch and add some unpredictability. I think the kick to kellaway was fine as an option - it just overshot. It happens but like him constantly looking to use the tactical Kicking as add attacking weapon. Lot to like about Paisami and with Koriobete would be one of the first backs selected.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This will get downvoted(?) but State of Origin is far more physically demanding than any rugby test match (bar the occasional brutal ABs/ Springboks match).
And many also play club two or three days later. A 6 day turnaround is sufficient.

We’ve shaken out the rust, let’s make a statement now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
These stats are misleading. Both Banks and MK would have made the majority of their meters on kick return/kickoff returns.

And surprisingly D, at least to some, MKs returns were more lateral while TBs were more directly at the defense. MK looks great to the uninitiated but he's really not very effective.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And surprisingly D, at least to some, MKs returns were more lateral while TBs were more directly at the defense. MK looks great to the uninitiated but he's really not very effective.
Only top 2 for every attacking stat in SuperAu. John Eales medallist in 2019 and runner up by only 3 points last year.

What a terrible take. Got us over the advantage line all game.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I must say with Paisamis kicking game makes added joy to watch and add some unpredictability. I think the kick to kellaway was fine as an option - it just overshot. It happens but like him constantly looking to use the tactical Kicking as add attacking weapon. Lot to like about Paisami and with Koriobete would be one of the first backs selected.
The thing about him kicking is that it puts doubt in the defensive line , 12 months ago it would have been a safe bet to jam up on him knowing he would more often than not take the line on himself and then try and offload.

All of a sudden, your winger and fullback/ sweeper need to pay attention. That alone opens up more opportunities.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The thing about him kicking is that it puts doubt in the defensive line , 12 months ago it would have been a safe bet to jam up on him knowing he would more often than not take the line on himself and then try and offload.

All of a sudden, your winger and fullback/ sweeper need to pay attention. That alone opens up more opportunities.

Yep which is why I think he needs to be shifted to 12 ASAP instead of To'omua. Yes his passing game needs some work, but his versatility with ball in hand in terms of kick, pass and run adds so much more than what To'omua unfortunately is showing these days.

Find the best combination with him out of Ikitau, Hodge, Perese or even Petaia if he’s up to it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought it was the right option, executed badly.

As BH said earlier he had acres of space, he needed the composure to know he didn’t need to go for the inch perfect kick.

But that better decision making and composure comes from time and experience (and the odd savage post game video review).

In any case, listening to Rennie & Wisemantle over the last 12 months there is no way he’ll be asked to put the cue in the rack.

I’m happy to take the win, have the young guys bank the experience and look forward to Tuesday.

Reactions: dru

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Why is a missed touch finder any more worthy of criticism than a lineout overthrow, crooked throw, poor jump etc?

A penalty kick touch finder is done without any opposition players in motion or in anyway trying to defend or disrupt. Passing and line out throws are done with the opposition in motion and able to defend and disrupt.

Kicking for touch or kicking for goal from a penalty and kick offs are the only things you do in rugby without threat from the opposition team.

Hence you stuff this up it deserves more criticism than a stuff up done when the opposition can actually defend and challenge you.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I didn't mind Valetini's game. He was still going hard in the final minutes, and despite a few mistakes he's definitely worth persisting with. Clearly a tactic to have him roaming in the wider channels so I can't be too annoyed with his slightly lower work rate.

I do like the balance of Valetini/Hooper/Wilson, and think it could take us to the World Cup if we give it time.

My only suggestion would be to have Wilson run wider and Valetini to play in tight. I reckon that would better suit their respective skills.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep which is why I think he needs to be shifted to 12 ASAP instead of To'omua. Yes his passing game needs some work, but his versatility with ball in hand in terms of kick, pass and run adds so much more than what To'omua unfortunately is showing these days.

Find the best combination with him out of Ikitau, Hodge, Perese or even Petaia if he’s up to it.
Must admit the modern day role of a 12 confuses me somewhat. I know they are the second fly half, but seem to stand at 10 nearly as much as the 10 does.

The guy then wearing 13 ends up as your 12 depending on the ball playing ability of your 15. Tom Banks is not a ball playing 15 , so Paisami was often at second receiver last night anyway. I know it’s probably only semantics, but to me that makes him a 12 . We’ve basically put two 10’s and a 12 out there , Banks becomes your 13. Not sure what Lolesio was up to for half the night.