• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I went out and watched the Women's final at Ballymore on Saturday at 8:30am. It was well worth the effort as it was an enthralling game. The defence on show was something else and that was reflected in the score line with Redlands coming out on top 7-6 over the previously undefeated Sunnybank.

Sunnybank lead 3-0 at half time and were ahead 6-0 with just over 5 mins to go. I thought Sharni Williams was impressive at 12 for Redlands making a couple of good breaks late in the game.

The 2 teams make up the bulk of the Qld team that will head down to Sydney at the end of the month for the National Champs. I'd expect a few of the ladies to be in the Wallaroo's squad for the World Cup next year.
Good report Jets, sounds like a great game.
The Sydney Womens Rugby team played NSW Country on the weekend, running out winners by a large margin (76-12). Sorry but I don't have any further details.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parramatta Women's Team 2013 award winners were announced last night:

Player of the Year Meliame Lasalo
Best+Fairest Susan Fuimaono
Most Improved Player Patricia Raikadroka
Rookie of the Year Chloe Butler
Highest Rep Honours Alexandra Sulusi - Australian 7s
Leading Tryscorer Patricia Raikadroka
Highest Pointscorer Alexandra Sulusi

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
2bluesfan are there many Parra girls in the Sydney team for the Nationals this week? It sounds like they had a great year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Queensland team will be flying down on Wednesday morning are

Mele Akuila - UQ
Alex Bannon - UQ
Haley Barclay - Sunnybank
Tricia Brown (c) - UQ
Cheryenne Campbell - Redlands
Lizzy Campbell - Redlands
Saxon Campbell - Redlands
Keenan Curran - Wests
Dalena Dennison - Redlands
Maryanne Fauimo - Sunnybank
Delywyn Fraser - Redlands
Tess Gard'ner - Sunnybank
Aimee Gilbert - Sunnybank
Mel Kawa - UQ
Ivy Kaleta - Sunnybank
Nareata Masters - Sunnybank
Terisa Noble - Sunnybank
Liz Patu - Wests
Renae Pirihi - Redlands
Lizzy Pou - Redlands
Asako Ono - UQ
Delyse Taulaulelei - UQ
Moana Virtue (vc) - Sunnybank

Coach - Jerry Scott
Assistant Coach - Me
Manager - Karli Lancaster
Physio - Chari Stewart

I will try and post scores on here as things progress. It should be a good few days and I encourage anyone in Sydney on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to come out to Riverview and watch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is almost nothing on the internet about the 2013 National Women's Rugby tournament.

Dear ARU,

It is not hard to knock up a press release. James O'Connor gives you plenty of opportunity to practice preparing press releases.

regards
Us

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I found that link@Jets. As some say, something is better than nothing but....

In an age of facebook, twitter and other instantaneous communication forms and social networking, it shouldn't be too hard to find out something about a National competition.

Some of these people could be part of our tilt at Gold in 3 years time at Rio. The National Championships provide a great opportunity to raise the profile of the sport, and promote it as a viable recreational and sporting activity for women.

There will be nearly 200 elite women at the tournament. Each of them have a story to tell, they all have parents and families, and come from a community and rugby club somewhere.

The game will never grow if it is not promoted.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I found that link@Jets. As some say, something is better than nothing but..

In an age of facebook, twitter and other instantaneous communication forms and social networking, it shouldn't be too hard to find out something about a National competition.

Some of these people could be part of our tilt at Gold in 3 years time at Rio. The National Championships provide a great opportunity to raise the profile of the sport, and promote it as a viable recreational and sporting activity for women.

There will be nearly 200 elite women at the tournament. Each of them have a story to tell, they all have parents and families, and come from a community and rugby club somewhere.

The game will never grow if it is not promoted.

Quoted for truth!

Is it really that hard to provide even basic promotion for this???

As much as I would like it, I probably won't be able to get out to any of the matches but, based on my observations of Womens' Rugby over the past few years I would certainly recommend that anyone who enjoys good Rugby played in the right spirit to make the effort - you won't be disappointed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
2013 National Women’s Championship
Wednesday 25th September – Saturday 28th September
St Ignatius College Riverview, Sydney

Pool A
QLD
NSW Country
ASRU
Western Australia

Pool B
ACT
Sydney
South Australia
Victoria

MATCH DAY 1 – Thursday 26th September
0830 B2 v B3 - Sydney v South Australia Oval 1 Game 1
0915 A2 v A3 - NSW Country v ASRU Oval 2 Game 2
0945 B1 v B4 - ACT v Victoria Oval 1 Game 3
1030 A1 v A4 - QLD v Western Australia Oval 2 Game 4
1330 B3 v B4 - South Australia v Victoria Oval 2 Game 5
1400 A3 v A4 - ASRU v Western Australia Oval 1 Game 6
1445 B1 v B2 - ACT v Sydney Oval 2 Game 7
1515 A1 v A2 - QLD v NSW Country Oval 1 Game 8

MATCH DAY 2 – Friday 27th September
0930 B1 v B3 - ACT v South Australia Oval 1 Game 9
1045 A1 v A3 - QLD v ASRU Oval 1 Game 10
1330 B2 v B4 - Sydney v Victoria Oval 1 Game 11
1445 A2 v A4 - NSW Country v Western Australia Oval 1 Game 12

MATCH DAY 3 – Saturday 28th September
0800 4th Pool A v 4th Pool B Oval 1 Game 13
0915 3rd Pool A v 3rd Pool B - Plate Final Oval 1 Game 14
1030 2nd Pool A v 2nd Pool B Oval 1 Game 15
1145 1st Pool A v 1st Pool B - Cup Final Oval 1 Game 16

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's been a big couple of days at the Women's National Championships. I will get all of the details of the other games today and post them here. First some good news.

They are selecting a squad of around 44, can't recall the exact number, for a training camp in Feb of next year. The majority of these players will be from the National Championships, there maybe some 7's players or players out injured selected. Before the Women's RWC the National team will play NZ and Canada in NZ.

On a personal note the Qld team are playing some good rugby. We beat WA 32-17 in our first game and NSW Country 51-0 in our second.

If you don't have anything on today or tomorrow head out to Riverview and watch some really good quality rugby. Also come and say hello.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Course they would. As if you doubted it?

Seriously. Well done to the Sydney and Qld teams. Bloody good effort.

Build and broaden the pyramid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Referees from the Women's Tournament

BVKNu9FCMAA06L0.jpg:large

From NSW Rugby Referees Twitter

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sydney beat us in the final on Saturday morning. They came out and played some very aggressive rugby and had the Queenslander's on the back foot. They managed to build a 17-0 halftime lead before defending well in the second half when Qld started to put some pressure on. They were very deserving winners of the National Championship.

Hopefully it can have a regular place on the rugby calendar as I know a bunch of Queensland Women who are keen to go around again in 2014.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Australian Women's 7's team won the Oceania 7's Championships in Noosa over the weekend. The went through the weekend undefeated beating World Champions NZ in the pool games.