• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby

Women's Rugby

• it's awesome

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • it's awesome but I'm not the target market for this

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • it's rubbish

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I watch it for the spunks

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I can only watch the top level stuff

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Maybe women's rugby can save the whole stupid sport

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • It'll be wild when the transgender blokes turn up for a game haha

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Does GAGR have ANY women members?

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Just Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Stupid Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I can't really agree with that. The journos know they're not going to get Robinson to talk about Razor at the Aupiki launch, they know they're not going to get him to talk about Razor at the Black Ferns coach announcement so the only reason to still ask the question is so you can write a story in which Robinson refuses to talk about Razor.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it's poor form for the journos to be focusing on anything but Aupiki there, the razor stuff might be a big story but it's hardly so urgent to override everything else.

That said blind Freddy could see this would happen, the NZRU aren't helping themselves (or women's rugby) by letting it fester in the background.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t necessarily agree it’s poor form, any journalists would be slapped by their editor if they didn’t ask those questions given it’s one of the limited opportunities offered to ask them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, it's poor form for the journos to be focusing on anything but Aupiki there, the razor stuff might be a big story but it's hardly so urgent to override everything else.

That said blind Freddy could see this would happen, the NZRU aren't helping themselves (or women's rugby) by letting it fester in the background.

I don’t necessarily agree it’s poor form, any journalists would be slapped by their editor if they didn’t ask those questions given it’s one of the limited opportunities offered to ask them.

For sure but Razor hasn't helped himself by (again) jumping the gun with that "announcement imminent" comment. To be fair to him I think it's been taken a little out of context but he still shouldn't have said it IMO. I just hope it doesn't result in him winding up coaching Fiji or Scotland, a fate that back in the not-too-distant past would've awaited any prospective AB coach who didn't mind their P's & Q's.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
For sure but Razor hasn't helped himself by (again) jumping the gun with that "announcement imminent" comment. To be fair to him I think it's been taken a little out of context but he still shouldn't have said it IMO. I just hope it doesn't result in him winding up coaching Fiji or Scotland, a fate that back in the not-too-distant past would've awaited any prospective AB coach who didn't mind their P's & Q's.

Didn't see the press conference so wont aimlessly throw in an uninformed moronic opinion on whether it was right or not, side note could razor actually be trying to force nzru hand here. I mean he walks into the Fiji job now if he wants it. RSA, France, Ireland & NZ all cant get through through to the semi's one if not 2 of them could all blow up internally which then he is the top candidate. He holds the chips & could easily bait nzru to go all in early.

ps congrats to Bunting but now we have Eddie overseeing our girls with Tregonning doing the day to day I dont see us ever loosing to nz ever again in the history of the planet

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Still a ways off a full-time professional program, but this is a big step forward for the Wallaroos:

obvs rent around moore park wouldn't be cheap but you could def make $55k work to be a full time athlete. Its not ideal but a good 1st step

Wilson

David Codey (61)
obvs rent around moore park wouldn't be cheap but you could def make $55k work to be a full time athlete. Its not ideal but a good 1st step
It's not clear in the article, but my read was the $55k is maximum possible earnings, not contract rate. So it'd be made up of $4k for super rugby, a contract for some amount from RA and then match/camp payments for Wallaroos games, so it's not necessarily a guaranteed $55k you can plan your life around.

That's no knock against this move from RA, it's a huge step forward and a big investment in the Women's game. It's honestly much more than I was expecting from them this year, or at least this early in the year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Critically they talk of it including centrally contracted part-time contracts, i.e. a set number of hours a week over a set period, rather than their entire earnings coming purely from match/camp payments that were offered previously. Which is critical for women's players if you consider factors like maternity leave, leave accrual etc..

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Halberg Sports Awards were held last night & predictably the Olympic medal-winning snowboarders took out the male, female & overall titles. Black Ferns still did alright: Wayne Smith Coach of the Year, Sarah Hirini the Leadership award & Black Ferns Team of the Year. Their World Cup win was voted Sporting Moment of the Year with Ruby Tui's post-match sing-along also nominated.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Super Rugby Aupiki underway:

At Levin Domain, Levin: Chiefs Manawa 53 (Luka Connor 3, Tanya Kalounivale, Kennedy Simon, Chelsea Bremner, Georgia Daals, Arihiana Marino-Tauhinu, Dhys Faleafaga tries; Tenika Willison 3, Hazel Tubic con) Hurricanes Poua 21 (Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamate, Ayesha Leti-I'iga, Rhiarna Ferris tries; Carys Dallinger 3 con). HT: 22-21.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I see some of the kiwi girls girls are coming over to play in Aus teams when Aupiki finishes, then they come back for Farah Palmer Cup.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ all going well they'll soon have a proper if limited trans-Tasman comp between Aupiki & Farah Palmer Cup with a full home & away T-T within five years, sooner if RA's & NZR's finances allow.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin: Matatū 33 (Kendra Reynolds 6 min, Alana Bremner 18 min, Martha Mataele 27 min, Di Hiini 32 min, Lucy Jenkins 44 min tries; Renee Holmes 4 con) Blues 31 (Grace Gago 31 min, Jaymie Kolose 39 min, 51 min, Kateylyn Vaha’akolo 64 min, Sophie Fisher 80 min tries; Ruahei Demant 3 con). HT: 26-14

Blues could've taken it to golden point but Demant missed the final conversion. Big comeback though as they were down by plenty at times.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pac4 is back:

April 1: Canada v United States in Madrid, Spain

In Australia in June

Australia v Black Ferns (TBC)

In Canada in July

Canada v Black Ferns, United States v Australia (TBC)

Canada v Australia, United States v Black Ferns (TBC)

Top three qualify for Div 1 of the new W15 comp (other half being top three from W6N), last place goes into Div 2.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1677715042000.png

Great to see!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from the Women's Australian Rugby Championship yesterday

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Worth watching the highlights to this game. Gordon looked sharp and a very clever team, as you’d expect with Hewson and Reirdon in the inside backs.

But wow. Bond play an awesome style of rugby. Very free spirited. And they have some absolutely young stars. Two wingers stole the show.