• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby

Women's Rugby

• it's awesome

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • it's awesome but I'm not the target market for this

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • it's rubbish

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I watch it for the spunks

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I can only watch the top level stuff

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Maybe women's rugby can save the whole stupid sport

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • It'll be wild when the transgender blokes turn up for a game haha

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Does GAGR have ANY women members?

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Just Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Stupid Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well, this is annoying:
IMG_0775.jpeg

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
NRLW seems to have got 3 of the current/recent nz 7's team included - broughton, nathan-wong and williams. Only 1 i can spot from oz players is Byers who played recently. i wonder if they got a contract where they can go back to 7's for the olympics.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Broughton & Williams are almost certainly gone for good, not least due to their age, but there's a reasonable chance that TN-W will come back & try to make it to Paris.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it sums up that in an Aussie rugby forum, the the women played a test and noone even (including me) bothered starting a match thread. Seems not only RA need to show more interest in women's game? I will add ROAR don't even mention there was a test played.
On game, I thought from a kiwi perspective it looked like it was first run togather for BFs, they looked a bit ropey in first 20, but when they got going , looked like they were pretty reasonable.
I had said to wife after 15 minutes ar so I would stick out to halftime mainly because the picture quality seemed bloody poor again, was like watching something with poor net connection, but was not watching on net. Pregame the picture froze a couple of times etc. I have had the trouble with a few of games from Aus this year. But it got a bit better, and I ended up until end of game (surprise surprise I couldn't leave a game) and was worth the watch.
Wallaroos looked like a team that were maybe a super W standard team? Or certainly not above a Super Aupiki, which I have seen a couple of games, seemed to be not all that bad, but were bloody gun shy by end , they seemed to get beaten up in the physical part of game quite badly, they would win a turnover, BFs would pour through and knock them over and end up with ball 20 metres down field.

Last edited:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think it sums up that in an Aussie rugby forum, the the women played a test and noone even (including me) bothered starting a match thread. Seems not only Rugby Australia need to show more interest in women's game? I will add ROAR don't even mention there was a test played.
On game, I thought from a kiwi perspective it looked like it was first run togather for BFs, they looked a bit ropey in first 20, but when they got going , looked like they were pretty reasonable.
I had said to wife after 15 minutes ar so I would stick out to halftime mainly because the picture quality seemed bloody poor again, was like watching something with poor net connection, but was not watching on net. Pregame the picture froze a couple of times etc. I have had the trouble with a few of games from Aus this year. But it got a bit better, and I ended up until end of game (surprise surprise I couldn't leave a game) and was worth the watch.
Wallaroos looked like a team that were maybe a super W standard team? Or certainly not above a Super Aupiki, which I have seen a couple of games, seemed to be not all that bad, but were bloody gun shy by end , they seemed to get beaten up in the physical part of game quite badly, they would win a turnover, BFs would pour through and knock them over and end up with ball 20 metres down field.
I started looking for news about the match a couple of hours later, nothing on news.com.au, brisbanetimes.com.au or guardian.com.au

I also thought the Roar may have something buy they only had an U20's report.

I am glad I chose to watch the U20's, at least it was a competitive.

Where does the women's team rank, in the men's their is often reference to 1st tier and 2nd tier. I assume that we are firmly in the 2nd tier and we have more hard games coming up.

I cannot understand why this game was not played at Ballymore as part of its redevelopment and why it could not have been played a couple of days ago to avoid clashing with the U20 game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I cannot understand why this game was not played at Ballymore as part of its redevelopment and why it could not have been played a couple of days ago to avoid clashing with the U20 game.
Probably couldn't have done both of those given Ballymore was only opened yesterday. I do agree it should've been the opening game there though. Possibly the schedule was too tight and it's not setup for broadcast yet though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I went out to the game last night. A shit of a place to get to particularly on a Thursday evening. Parking pretty hard too but that may be more a lack of ‘local knowledge’.

The crowed was amazing. Caught most people by surprise. Big lines still outside at kick off and they hastily opened the eastern stand at the last minute. Biggest domestic crowd the wallaroos have played in front of for a stand-alone test.

But most were wearing black.

Unfortunately the wallaroos were pretty dreadful even factoring in how good the SF were. We were just so passive in defence and offered bugger all in attack.

You’d have to think Bella McKenzie will come back to the starting side but the word is the girls who played in the UK actually came home quite underdone. Lots of idle time over there which is disappointing.

Anyway - the result is indicative of the lack of support of the program for years. Hopefully the day will be remembered more for the large crowd and the new home for the wallaroos at Ballymore.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Anyway - the result is indicative of the lack of support of the program for years. Hopefully the day will be remembered more for the large crowd and the new home for the wallaroos at Ballymore.
Good to hear that the crowd was so good, I had worried that it would be poor given the location. Black Ferns are at a different level to Wallaroos, and we saw this last year in the WC. Aus coaches need to use this as a starting point to look at where the improvements need to be (everywhere it sounds like) - being passive in defence sounds an easy fix - be aggressive, don't wait for them to come to you etc - all the things you try to drill into juniors. The lack of a regular junior XVs program for girls is part of the issue. In NZ they have school competitions whereas girls here who are playing rugby are playing 7s and a lot of them don't want to play XVs, and the skills and playing styles needed for the 2 versions are quite different.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I started looking for news about the match a couple of hours later, nothing on news.com.au, brisbanetimes.com.au or guardian.com.au

I also thought the Roar may have something buy they only had an U20's report.

I am glad I chose to watch the U20's, at least it was a competitive.

Where does the women's team rank, in the men's their is often reference to 1st tier and 2nd tier. I assume that we are firmly in the 2nd tier and we have more hard games coming up.

I was staggerd that there was nothing on ROAR to lb, seems they a bit selective what they take notice of , but really ctitical of RA if they not seen to support women's game etc.
I think it important because it where I can see real growth for our game all over the world. I know it's finances etc, and have heard suggestions of a combined super comp. I would suggest caution on that idea, as RA really needs to get building blocks in place ASAP. We have like Aus club comp, a number of schools starting tp field 1st XVs etc, and of course Farah Palmer Cup (womens version of NPC. And so expansion of women's comp should be done reasonably carefully, and perhaps start with 2-3 Aus teams? Over here we only have e at super level as it is not considered a good idea to have more teams than talent is ready for.

Reactions: Ged

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The BFs were another level in the contact. At times they absolutely bullied the Wallaroos. Moleka played well and a couple of nice moments for Cecelia Smith as well I thought.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great bounce back win by the Wallaroos over the US. A big win. Sure it wasn’t the Gal Blacks but a good sign to come back and put that score on. Big travel week too. The US beat us last year so a good sign.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ looked like runaway winners early, Canucks came back in quarters 2 & 3 before NZ finally did run away with it in Q4.

Amy duPlesis is some player.

Can't find any Wallaroo highlights which is disappointing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great bounce back win by the Wallaroos over the US. A big win. Sure it wasn’t the Gal Blacks but a good sign to come back and put that score on. Big travel week too. The US beat us last year so a good sign.
Hugely important win too, just about locks up participation in the WXV 1, which will be crucial top level rugby to keep the progress going.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ sorry, I should probably have quoted the post from qwerty51 where he said exactly that.

Like you I'm hoping that WXV allows the Aus women to be full-time pros & that a women's Super Rugby will be stood up sooner rather than later.