• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WOO FARKING HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WALLABIES flanker Rocky Elsom will play with the Queensland Reds next season if there are no late hitches in his contract negotiations.

It is understood Elsom, a veteran of 66 matches for NSW but a product of Queensland's Nudgee College, told QRU officials he will not negotiate with anyone else, including his old province, as long as his talks with the Reds stay on track.

But at this stage the Reds are only peripherally involved in the negotiations to bring Elsom home from Dublin where his provincial side Leinster tomorrow meets arch-rival Munster in the semi-finals of the European Cup.

Most of the long-running negotiations are being handled by the Australian Rugby Union. Indications are that the lure of reactivating his Test career ultimately will be enough to convince Elsom to return, but talks could turn tricky if the hard-hitting backrower holds out to be allowed to continue with Leinster when not required by the Wallabies.

While the ARU has shown no inclination to ease its requirement that only Australian-based players will be considered for the national team, Elsom could become a test case for a relaxation of the rules. New Zealand has been bending its own similar rules lately to allow Luke McAlister to sidestep the requirement that overseas-based Kiwis play a full season in the Super 14 or NPC before being considered for the All Blacks.

The Reds have every reason to hope the course of Elsom's return runs smoothly because they have all but given up hope of luring Western Force Test number eight Richard Brown back to Queensland. But even if Elsom - arguably the only Australian other than Matt Giteau who would command a place in a World XV - signs on with Phil Mooney's squad, that still leaves the Reds desperately short of a genuine ball-scavenging openside flanker.

When I hear this news confirmed, I will stop whatever I am doing, and no matter where I am, I will get up a do a little happy jig.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
meanwhile:

Wallaby and QR Reds loosehead prop Greg Holmes and his ambitious understudy Ben Daley have each re-signed with Queensland for another two years.

Both said the resurgence in the Reds? fortunes was a key factor in their decision.

?I?m enjoying my rugby and the direction the team is taking so it was a pretty straightforward decision for me,? said Holmes, who has played 42 matches for Queensland and 13 Tests since making his state and Wallaby debuts in 2005.

?There?s a great feeling in the team. We might have been a bit up and down with our results this season but that?s not a reflection on the mood within the team and the belief we have that success will come if we stick at it.

?I?m also focused on re-establishing myself with the Wallabies and playing well with the Reds will help me do that.?

Daley impressed observers when he stepped up to a starting role for the Reds for the first time this year while Holmes was out injured for three games and said the experience left him wanting more.

?Getting those opportunities this year did make me hungry for more games for Queensland playing Super 14 rugby. I definitely believe that being here at the Reds is the best place to launch that assault from,? Daley said.

?We?ve got a young side that?s going places and I want to be a part of that.?

Reds Performance Rugby Manager Ben Whitaker predicted the pair would develop into fierce but friendly rivals within the Reds? squad as they both vied for the loosehead prop position in the starting team.

?Greg is the senior player and a Wallaby but Ben?s a young player who is already putting pressure on him. Ben really impressed the coaching staff with his performances when Greg was injured,? Whitaker said.

?At the same time Greg is starting to play really good football now he?s over his neck and shoulder problems, so he won?t be taking a backward step.

?It?s fantastic for the coaches to have that sort of competition for places ? and great for both players if it spurs them on to outstanding performances for the Reds and ultimately selection for the Wallabies,? Whitaker said.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bloody poaching qlders!

Oh well, atleast rocky will be back in Aus. I wonder how long he will stay if he is not in the Wallaby 22 - which is a very real possibility given the depth in loose forwards at the moment.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You know, I always thought Rocky was shithouse. That Mowen bloke is actually pretty good, now that I think about it. ;)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
You know, I always thought Rocky was shithouse. That Mowen bloke is actually pretty good, now that I think about it. ;)
Ha It's funny cause it's not true!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Would depend in Van Humphries wants to run around again I think. Or he may fancy the #8 Jersey.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Awesome news!
Apart from the fact he aint coming back to NSW, I'm happy to have good players back here.
While he would be an asset to NSW, the Tah pack has done OK without him, so for mine it's about having as many quality players in all the Oz teams. And I suppose he is a Qlder.
MMM would be a goose to leave - he is good enough to hold a spot at lock (although I think he should be a better 6) or maybe 8, not to mention contend very strongly with Elsom at 6.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sully said:
Would depend in Van Humphries wants to run around again I think. Or he may fancy the #8 Jersey.

Exactly what I was thinking. One of Elsom, Higgers or MMM will be at 8 or 6, the other on the bench if Horwill and Big Van are at lock.

Still short of a fetcher, as the article states. Tasi actually did a decent job last week though. But I wouldn't argue with giving Beau Robinson a shot if he comes north.

Geez the Reds are building a decent pack...shame about Moore and Bell not getting along. It'd be a real shame too if they lost any more players...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah Tasi was good, but he wasn't up against a real fetcher, like he is this week.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am surprised that Van is still in the plans for the future I would have thought he would be being eased out of the team particualrly if Rocky comes on board

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
mark_s said:
I am surprised that Van is still in the plans for the future I would have thought he would be being eased out of the team particualrly if Rocky comes on board
I don't really get this mentality.
Van has been playing really well.
So what if he's older? The idea of "easing players out" because they have passed an age despite playing well seems dumb to me. Competition and depth is healthy. Not to mention the benefit of experience.
Say they ease him out, Rocky and MMM get crocked (50% likelihood!) then all of a sudden Qld could really use a good lock like...Van Humphries. Or, God forbid, Big Kev gets injured.
Same as the ARU dithering on Baxter just because a few youngsters put their hands up as "potentials". Aus rugby does not have the luxury of doing this.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's great news that Rocky is returning to Oz rugby.

I'd rather that he played for the Tahs . As I wrote before the season: the Tahs would miss Elsom more than the Wallabies would, with the likes of 3M and Mumm available for Oz.

On the face of it: with 3M and Higginbotham available to play 6, Elsom's value would be marginalised for the Reds, but he will bring one thing to the team that they are lacking - on-field leadership. And with inevitable injuries in the 2nd and backrow it is going to be good to have the luxury of having Elsom starting, a 2009 starter on the bench and a 2009 bench player in reserve.

But as I wrote the other day: the Tahs have been served well by Mowen, both around the ground and in the lineout on either throw. He is no Elsom, who has been one of the best 6s in European club rugby this year by the way, but he has been a lot better than I thought he would be.

I blame his girlfriend, who lives north of the Tweed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
That's great news that Rocky is returning to Oz rugby.

I'd rather that he played for the Tahs . As I wrote before the season: the Tahs would miss Elsom more than the Wallabies would, with the likes of 3M and Mumm available for Oz.

On the face of it: with 3M and Higginbotham available to play 6, Elsom's value would be marginalised for the Reds, but he will bring one thing to the team that they are lacking - on-field leadership. And with inevitable injuries in the 2nd and backrow it is going to be good to have the luxury of having Elsom starting, a 2009 starter on the bench and a 2009 bench player in reserve.

But as I wrote the other day: the Tahs have been served well by Mowen, both around the ground and in the lineout on either throw. He is no Elsom, who has been one of the best 6s in European club rugby this year by the way, but he has been a lot better than I thought he would be.

I blame his girlfriend, who lives north of the Tweed.

I think its a case of you say tomato I say tomato (hey, they phrase doesn't really work when typed), but I think his biggest contribution will be mental toughness. We don't have a test veteran in the pack. I'd call Rocky, a season away from 50 test caps, a veteran.

Plus (as Link alluded to in his comments on recruiting on the ruggamatrix podcast) he will attract and keep players. The likes of Ione, Barnes, Horwill and hopefully MMM may well feel more secure in signing with the Reds knowing they have someone like Rocky coming. Perhaps for Ione it could be the biggest difference as I feel comfortable that Kev and Berrick will sign. And who knows? Maybe it will entice someone like Beau Robinson up here? The chance to form a flanker combo with Rocky? Or perhaps an OS player having watching him playing for Leinster will think "well perhaps a season playing with Rocky in QLD may be worth my while?". Maybe TPN wants to link up with him again? Maybe James O'Connor now sees the Reds a little differently?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
Awesome news! Apart from the fact he aint coming back to NSW, I'm happy to have good players back here. While he would be an asset to NSW, the Tah pack has done OK without him, so for mine it's about having as many quality players in all the Oz teams. And I suppose he is a Qlder.
MMM would be a goose to leave - he is good enough to hold a spot at lock (although I think he should be a better 6) or maybe 8, not to mention contend very strongly with Elsom at 6.

Pedallist, Rocky's a Mexican: born in Melbourne. Played all his senior rugby in Sydney, for the Bulldogs and the Tahs. Passed through Queensland for five minutes and the bastards claim him. 8) 8) 8)

I spent two days in Toowoomba for a wedding back in 2002, they'll be claiming me next.

F

formeropenside

Lindommer said:
I spent two days in Toowoomba for a wedding back in 2002, they'll be claiming me next.

We do need a decent forwards coach, until Foley comes back.

In all seriousness, Queensland renegade Cannon is living in Brisbane again apparently. I wonder why we gave him his passport back. But given he's here, I wonder what he is looking to do for a living.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
cyclopath said:
mark_s said:
I don't really get this mentality.
Van has been playing really well.
So what if he's older? The idea of "easing players out" because they have passed an age despite playing well seems dumb to me. Competition and depth is healthy. Not to mention the benefit of experience.
Say they ease him out, Rocky and MMM get crocked (50% likelihood!) then all of a sudden Qld could really use a good lock like...Van Humphries. Or, God forbid, Big Kev gets injured.
Same as the ARU dithering on Baxter just because a few youngsters put their hands up as "potentials". Aus rugby does not have the luxury of doing this.

All I meant was that MMM has played well in the tight this year and he and horwill look like a good 4-5 combo to me. Add higgen / elson at 8/6 plus you have fat cat Houston who may just one day live up to his potential and then Van is looking like a bench player at best barring injuries.

Nothing against Van but at best his is a good solid journey man player nearing the end of his career. Why pick him ahead of potential (or current) wallabies such as Elson, Horwill, MMMM and higgenbottom?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Lindommer said:

We do need a decent forwards coach, until Foley comes back.

In all seriousness, Queensland renegade Cannon is living in Brisbane again apparently. I wonder why we gave him his passport back. But given he's here, I wonder what he is looking to do for a living.

he is. Lives around the corner. Had lunch with him last week. Lovely guy. You see? The good guys come back.

Ealesy is living in Sydney. You gonna disown him?

Status
Not open for further replies.