• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
erasmus to the rebels?? Jeezz they are stocked for props...already in THP they have Ainsley, Talakai, Weeks & the new in house promotion Pona Faamausili - even if they lose Weeks, Erasmus would be better off staying at Brumbies if Makin is leaving.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Richie gone.
It caps a whirlwind journey from a pub in northern NSW to the bright lights of Super Rugby, and their first start together since 2010 could double as a farewell for Japan-bound Richie if the Brumbies miss the finals ......... Richie has signed a deal to play for Yamaha for the next two seasons in the Japan Top League and is one of 10 Brumbies leaving when the season finishes.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...ld-to-start-for-brumbies-20180712-p4zr0k.html

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Mees Erasmus > Rebels
Les Makin > France
Nic Mayhew > NZ
Richie Arnold > Japan
Sione Faalelei reported to be moving on
Robbie Abel reported to be moving on

LHP Lloyd returning to the Brumbies from the Western Force

If that's correct then McKellar better be doing some smart recruiting (don't have enough faith in him for that to happen) or the brumbies are screwed, relying on Benny A as backup? Mayhew and Makin are a mile better than him, our scrum looked so much better with them there. Sio (injury prone the past cpl of seasons) and AAA will likely be cotton woolled for the WC. TBH I can't see any other props around atm that i would pick over Mayhew and Makin as our reserves. Unless the Smith twins want to come back, but it looks like we are struggling to attract players right now as it is.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If that's correct then McKellar better be doing some smart recruiting (don't have enough faith in him for that to happen) or the brumbies are screwed, relying on Benny A as backup? Mayhew and Makin are a mile better than him, our scrum looked so much better with them there. Sio (injury prone the past cpl of seasons) and AAA will likely be cotton woolled for the WC. TBH I can't see any other props around atm that i would pick over Mayhew and Makin as our reserves. Unless the Smith twins want to come back, but it looks like we are struggling to attract players right now as it is.
Wouldnt mind picking up Slipper as a reserve LHP if he gets his head on right but he'd be behind Sio. Lyod seems the goods but inexperienced.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It would be tragic to lose both Mayhew and Makin. Neither are given much thought by other teams' fans here, but they really make up the best bench front row in the Aus conference. If they are off elsewhere, it begs the question why Sione and Erasmus would also be going.

Getting Lloyd back from the West would be a big plus, but there doesn't look like there'll be much injury cover in the front row next year. Any rumours at all about Lomax coming back?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any rumours at all about Lomax coming back?

I'm heartbroken every time I see him in a clan jersey. How could we let the Rebels steal him from under our nose? How could Australia let him go to NZ?
I think we've done pretty well in terms of player retention since bringing in Damien Hill. It was a smart idea for the board to separate contracts from the head coach. He managed to keep Arnold, Enever, and Carter at the cost of Staniforth, he is supposed to have been part of the Pocock sabbatical that let us keep him, he's now managed to retain Swain and bring in Samu, I'm happy with his work.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Hands off the Smith twins - We are losing Slipper and Faagase...down to 4 props and 1 of them is fresh from u20. Ask the Rebels for one of theirs - especially if Erasmus is heading there.......

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hands off the Smith twins - We are losing Slipper and Faagase.down to 4 props and 1 of them is fresh from u20. Ask the Rebels for one of theirs - especially if Erasmus is heading there...

Sorry UTR. Smith twins have already made enquiries to part ways with the Reds for a chance to return to Canberra

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Sorry UTR. Smith twins have already made enquiries to part ways with the Reds for a chance to return to Canberra

Really? JP has been getting a regular start, thought with their family in Qld they would want to stay here - what does that say about the attraction of different Super Rugby teams?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If I could keep anyone on that list, it is Mayhew. Such a class player, sometimes better than Sio even.

With Sio now ruled out of the Tahs clash and also in line with BR's comments above about Sio's frequent injury issues we will get to see exactly how much it will hurt to lose Mayhew. Such a shame. :(

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I'm with neilc, that seems odd considering they are integral parts of the reds team with their family in Qld....buttttttttt we'll see

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
An instagram post by Pocock gave confirms some of the others that are leaving in addition to the ones already known.

James Dargaville
Nic Mayhew
Richie Arnold
Robbie Abel

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^Dargaville would have been a fantastic option at 12 post Godwin.

We are really going to struggle with depth (and in general IMHO) next year. Consider last nights game without Mayhew, Ritchie A, Makin, Godwin, and Naisarani. The forwards were the core and strength of this side. Some compensation is that IMHO Samu is an upgrade on Naisarani.

One thing that really has bugged me after the last 2 games is TK's performances. It take him being sent to Wallibies camp in the June break and told he is overweight and need to get in shape and form to get him playing again. But McKellar has picked him every week playing huge minutes and doing nothing to address the poor performances. How can that happen? Do we need to send the whole squad away to get the advice of another coach pre-sesoan so we can get our players playing and in the right shape for McKellar and his team?

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
^^^Dargaville would have been a fantastic option at 12 post Godwin.

We are really going to struggle with depth (and in general IMHO) next year. Consider last nights game without Mayhew, Ritchie A, Makin, Godwin, and Naisarani. The forwards were the core and strength of this side. Some compensation is that IMHO Samu is an upgrade on Naisarani.

One thing that really has bugged me after the last 2 games is TK's performances. It takes him being sent to Wallabies camp in the June break and told he is overweight and need to get in shape and form to get him playing again. But McKellar has picked him every week playing huge minutes and doing nothing to address the poor performances. How can that happen? Do we need to send the whole squad away to get the advice of another coach pre-sesoan so we can get our players playing and in the right shape for McKellar and his team?

It was TK's last chance to impress the selectors, he was playing against the person some think most likely to take to the Wallabies OC spot (and made him look pretty crappy).

I think Palu's best games were the ones he played against his main wallaby competitor. Shame he couldn't do it in tests. Hopefully, TK keeps the form. Buts TAHs made em look good. They were not interested in tackling.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It was TK's last chance to impress the selectors, he was playing against the person some think most likely to take to the Wallabies OC spot (and made him look pretty crappy).

I think Palu's best games were the ones he played against his main wallaby competitor. Shame he couldn't do it in tests. Hopefully, TK keeps the form. Buts TAHs made em look good. They were not interested in tackling.

What a great attitude leading into the finals series. Just like those suggesting teams already qualified had nothing to play for, I call it a load of crock. Winning form leading into the finals is important for confidence and to retain winning combinations and game plays etc. No team would go out to lose in the week before the finals, and if they are worth their salt will not be disinterested in the game neither.