• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aus rugby needs good LHPs and, apart from the Reds, every provincial side needs reserve props who are actually competing for the starting jersey. I really hope Hill has some targets in mind, because we're not going to survive next season with only Sio, Ala'alatoa, Alexander, and Makin.

And reportedly Lloyd coming back from the West. But you're right, another LHP at least, the same quality as Mayhew would be a very valuable asset.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Cameron Orr played during WSR? He was good during the U20s and has been in the uk for a couple of years. Might be an option?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
WSR is as much a measure as NRC; I'm happy to pick some development guys though it, and maybe some exceptional talents become first-team regulars, but I'm treating them as the exception rather than the norm.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So where really searching for a 12.. whos out there ? Any suggestions internal we have JJH maybe Leo at a pinch.. we are in a bit of a bind at the moment..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Lilo stays, then we have two 10s with Super experience. Focus needs to be on getting two 12 who are good enough to be Brumbies, a backup 13, and a worthy backup loosehead.

I suspect, however, that we'll see Mack Hansen given a chance at 12, with JJH as backup.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Speight probably spending his offseason in Europe rather than the NRC.
Speight, who has a contract to play for the Brumbies next year, has been linked to a temporary move to Irish club Ulster before returning to Canberra for the Super Rugby pre-season.

But it is believed mega-rich Toulon have also been impressed with the Brumbies cult hero and have expressed an interest in securing a loan deal for the end of the year.

His availability could hinge on the Wallabies and whether Test coach Michael Cheika views the 30-year-old as a starting winger for the Rugby Championship or spring tour.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...drani-hopes-of-wallabies-20180718-p4zs57.html

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If Lilo stays, then we have two 10s with Super experience. Focus needs to be on getting two 12 who are good enough to be Brumbies, a backup 13, and a worthy backup loosehead.

I suspect, however, that we'll see Mack Hansen given a chance at 12, with JJH as backup.

Would that not only be a waste of development of a good 10 @10 for the player, Brumbies and Aussie rugby? Is it really a solution at 12?

I still can't help but wonder what the story is with Dargaville as both he and the Brumbies have known about Godwin's departure for a while and A.Smith was at the back end off his career. So was he unwanted or did he want out? Whichever it is it creates a problem at 12.

I actually think JJH could be a better option at 10 so between him, Hawera and Hansen we have plenty @10 so we should be focused on centres, particularity 2x inside centres. Muirhead may be an option at 12. I know that leave Lilo on the outer but McKellar need to stick to his mantra about youth, renewal and building; not renovations.

Sadly I just don't see where we are going to get the players we need TBH that are Super Rugby ready. Forwards are hard to find and as for centres it will most likely be rookies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting read.

This explains so much and also validates many suspicions about McKellar's capabilities as coach. Best left to the players it appears:

The Brumbies were sitting inside Sydney Airport waiting for a flight to South Africa and stewing on a fifth loss in a row when McKellar called them into a meeting.

The Brumbies had just surrendered a lead at home against the Melbourne Rebels, losing the unlosable 27-24.

"First-year coach McKellar said it was time for the players to take responsibility. So he divided them into groups, gave them all a specific area to focus on and told them to review and improve that element of the game plan.

The Brumbies won four of their next six games, played with freedom and flair and made sure their year ended on a high rather than going down in flames.

"We pulled together in South Africa. We started to put more responsibility on players rather than it just being coach driven, so we worked together and the players were more accountable," McKellar said.

"We got together at the airport and allowed the players to present with confidence. They started to question each other and make each other accountable in a respectful manner. We took steps forward because of it."

The big change was in the messaging to the players. The coaches applauded attacking errors rather than scolding players for taking chances.

The last last paragraph is also worth noting as it was McKellar himself who was criticised players and performances post match early in the season.

As for the stats they should have improved on last year as we played more weaker teams due to the revised conference system.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...t-show-it-wasn-t-all-bad-20180719-p4zsfj.html

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
This explains so much and also validates many suspicions about McKellar's capabilities as coach. Best left to the players it appears ......... The last last paragraph is also worth noting as it was McKellar himself who was criticised players and performances post match early in the season.

I hope this whole story is wrong. I don't want the difference between the Brumbies that lose a two try lead to a mediocre side and a Brumbies that beats the team that could go all the way in the finals to be "the players taking responsibility". I would be furious if we didn't show up for the first half of the season because the players didn't feel "responsible" for results.

Brumbies will need a new defensive coach in 2019.

I think Ryan's defensive structure left both our wingers too exposed this season. Lord knows he can teach someone to tackle (look at the difference between 2012 To'omua and 2013 To'omua), but may be the right time for change.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I hope this whole story is wrong. I don't want the difference between the Brumbies that lose a two try lead to a mediocre side and a Brumbies that beats the team that could go all the way in the finals to be "the players taking responsibility". I would be furious if we didn't show up for the first half of the season because the players didn't feel "responsible" for results.

I have said on a few occasions that the back half of the season was like the players were let lose to play "their" game. It looked more like individual players making the difference 'collectively' rather than a distinctive change in game plan.

I wonder if the word "responsibly" is being misused. Consider that all it apparently took was to empower the players and let them solve the issues that the coaching staff couldn't. Remember McKellar is reported as saying he gave them [the players] issue to solve, not solutions to implement. To make such a significant season defining change overnight after 6 losses? And the players making the changes not the coaching staff? :eek: It's like a self induced Nucifora-Friend minus the conflict! :confused:.

Ex-Chief Executive Rob Clarke when explaining his take on the Nucifora affair: "player power is 'core to the DNA in the gene' that had made the Brumbies since their formation in 1996".

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It seems most likely that Lilo will re-sign for one more season, and according to the Crimes.........

Canterbury Crusaders back-rower Pete Samu is the only confirmed recruit, but it's understood the Brumbies are on the verge of adding at least two backs and upgrading several rising stars.

Hooker Connal McInerney is likely to secure his first full-time contract after taking his opportunities and Wallabies under-20s prop Tom Ross is expected to be added to the wider training group.

The Brumbies will upgrade academy players and could add another proven Super Rugby winger as early as this week.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ld-brumbies-target-quade-20180721-p4zstt.html

And it would seem that we weren't quite there with the names of the ten players departing, as it included Oakman-Hunt:

DEPARTING PLAYERS:Kyle Godwin, Isi Naisarani, Richie Arnold, Nic Mayhew, Andrew Smith, Lolo Fakaosilea, James Dargaville, Mees Erasmus, Faalelei Sione, Michael Oakman-Hunt.

YET TO RE-SIGN: Christian Lealiifano, Ben Alexander, Ben Hyne, James Verity-Am, Connal McInerney, Robbie Abel.

CONFIRMED RECRUITS: Pete Samu.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kyle Godwin has signed to play with Connacht in Ireland, Andrew Smith has retired, Richie Arnold will play in Japan and Robbie Abel, Nic Mayhew, James Dargaville and Faalelei Sione are also leaving the Canberra club.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...drani-hopes-of-wallabies-20180718-p4zs57.html
YET TO RE-SIGN: Christian Lealiifano, Ben Alexander, Ben Hyne, James Verity-Am, Connal McInerney, Robbie Abel.
Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ld-brumbies-target-quade-20180721-p4zstt.html

Change of heart on Abel in the two days between these stories?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Brumbies are going to retain Mann-Rea for another year, you would have to assume that Abel will become player #11 to go with McInerney likely to take his spot.........

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I think it might be a mistake in the reporting.

One of the players on social media (Sio maybe?) posted about a last dinner with the Abels earlier in the week.

Pretty sure Robbie is heading to Auckland to play ITM and looking for a contract somewhere ... including here. His brothers are remaining hereas part of Easts.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty sure Robbie is heading to Auckland to play ITM and looking for a contract somewhere . including here. His brothers are remaining hereas part of Easts.

I assumed he had a contract somewhere else (OS) that just hadn't been announced, it seems a bit rough that they dropped him all together!