• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it might be a mistake in the reporting.

One of the players on social media (Sio maybe?) posted about a last dinner with the Abels earlier in the week.
Sio has twittered the leaving plays Abel one of them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
ACT Brumbies poised to re-sign Ben Hyne on eve of injury comeback

It's understood the Brumbies have all but finalised a deal with Hyne, refusing to throw him on the scrap heap after just five games and backing him to make an impact when he returns.

"It's really important for us as a club that if the individual does the right thing [after injury] and shows they really want to be a part of our club, when you see that effort and sacrifice, you're comfortable rewarding it."

Hyne is another piece of the puzzle in place for the 2019 season, with McKellar expected to recruit at least two back-line weapons in the coming weeks and promote a host of talented Brumbies juniors.

"We'll have six quality back-rowers next year and they'll challenge each other. Hyney is a good defender, excellent in the lineout and a smart footballer as well.

Young guns Ryan Lonergan and Tom Ross are also on the radar for contract upgrades and the Brumbies are hopeful of finalising as early as this week a deal to keep Christian Lealiifano for one more season.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...n-eve-of-injury-comeback-20180724-p4ztcc.html

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
"We'll have six quality back-rowers next year"
Pocock, Samu, McCaffrey, Cusack, Hyne, Valetini?

"Ryan Lonergan ......... on the radar for contract upgrade"
Three full contracts on scrumhalves?

"McKellar [is] expected to recruit at least two back-line weapons in the coming weeks"
Any guesses?

Reactions: TSR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

"Ryan Lonergan ... on the radar for contract upgrade"

"McKellar [is] expected to recruit at least two back-line weapons in the coming weeks"
Any guesses?
Kervi it sounds like he wants out of the Reds ? Although im reading between the lines from the 2019 Reds forum.

Dunno who else id be watching the NRC..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Was going to post this article here but you beat me to it, very interesting to see read about his reasoning to stay in Union as well.
Playing the long game. Certainly plenty of cash in Europe if you can earn yourself a Wallabies cap.

I guess NRL would be easier but it would plateau sooner.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Any guesses?

Reckon they might make a play for Sefa Naivalu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure I saw a quote recently from McKellar suggesting that he was close to signing a high quality winger, and we know that he's after a No 12. You'd expect that Naivalu would be high on the list of potential wingers, but failing that and reading that Perese is perhaps looking to leave the Reds, then he might also be under consideration.

For the No 12 spot, I'd like to see Paia'aua who also is said to be looking for an out from the Reds, although still under contract there. Otherwise, it could be Billy Meakes who might be battling for game time with the Rebels next year.

Reactions: mst

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
While I'm obviously always in favour of bringing quality to the Brumbies, I'm surprised the wing is so high on the list. We have Speight, Taliauli, and Banks tied down, and have every reason to believe that we'll be retaining Muirhead, Peni, and Verity-Amm.

What we need (and I think I'm preaching to the choir here) is a reserve 13 who can push Kuridrani to maintain high standards, and some quality at 12 to battle for the starting jersey.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think you are right RC. IIRC Verity-Am has played a bit of 13 for the Force in past seasons. And from my recollection, did a pretty good job of it as well. He has an excellent turn of pace and seems to be able to beat a tackle. Would he be an option for 2019?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Any guesses?
Yes, but that would ruin the surprise...

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you are right RC. IIRC Verity-Am has played a bit of 13 for the Force in past seasons. And from my recollection, did a pretty good job of it as well. He has an excellent turn of pace and seems to be able to beat a tackle. Would he be an option for 2019?

I haven't seen enough of him to really make a judgement, but the number one job of the 13 is to have good defensive positioning, straighten the attack to give the wingers space, and basically never miss a tackle (or, at least slow the man down). If you're remembering him for his pace and tackle busts, we should definitely be thinking of him as more of a winger than a 13.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
IIRC Verity-Am has played a bit of 13 for the Force in past seasons.

Just checked the record: Verity-Amm first started a game for the Force against the Lions in Rd 10 2017. He played wing or fullback in seven of his eight appearances. Against the Highlanders, he came on for Ian Prior, who was playing at 10 at the time, but the backline at that time was:
9.) Ruru
10-15.) Some combination of Verity-Amm, Newsome, Meakes, Rona, Masirewa, and Morahan (basically 4 wingers, Rona (winger/13) and a 12).

Over the season, he had a 79% tackle success rate, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Some games he made 100% (9/9 against the Lions, 7/7 against the Hurricanes), some games he made 50% (2/4 against the Sharks, 2/4 against the Reds). It seems that he's either switched on, or not.

Offensively, his metres aren't great. 6.1m/carry, 36 carries, 12 defenders beaten, 4 clean breaks, his running game stats are more comparable to Pocock. Maybe that's what you want from your 13, but his defending is suspect enough that I'll say it's not worth the gamble.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, does this news supersede the 9 am announcement on a No 10 tomorrow?

EDIT : Or, thinking laterally, will there be a new flyhalf allowing CLL move to 12? Where does that leave Hawera, though?