• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I love the McKeller "no rocks stars" but instead he wants x-factor. :rolleyes: I really thought the x-factor thing was done.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So, does this news supersede the 9 am announcement on a No 10 tomorrow?

EDIT : Or, thinking laterally, will there be a new flyhalf allowing CLL move to 12? Where does that leave Hawera, though?

Think this says it all: .....who [Brumbies] would have been forced to go searching for a world-class flyhalf if Lealiifano decided to end his Super Rugby career.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looked very impressive at Northern Suburbs in 2016. Good size for a No 12, 193cm and 105 kg.

Had a look at his career stats. Defence looks a bit iffy - 25 tackles made, 15 missed for the Tahs and 28 tackles made and 10 missed for the Rays in the NRC. Will need to tighten up if he wants the 12 spot for the Brumbies. I am in no doubt that the move here will see an improvement, just like so many other fringe players who have come here in the past.

Anyone know if he is likely to line up for the Vikings in this year's NRC?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
His defensive stats leave something to be desired; a shame that we're losing Peter Ryan, he was a master at fixing that up.

Happy with the signing, though. A guy with good potential, clearly has the mind and body for the position, just needs to work out that technique.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
His defensive stats leave something to be desired; a shame that we're losing Peter Ryan, he was a master at fixing that up.

Happy with the signing, though. A guy with good potential, clearly has the mind and body for the position, just needs to work out that technique.
Im pretty excited to have him to be honest.. I was worried about the 12 position but we have picked up a guy with the size and talent to make the position his own.. Lets hope he kicks on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Im pretty excited to have him to be honest.. I was worried about the 12 position but we have picked up a guy with the size and talent to make the position his own.. Lets hope he kicks on.

I think he's a good signing. Obviously got little time at the Tahs due to the guys in front of him, and has the potential to be really good. I hope he kicks on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Simone not a bad signing for pressure at 12 hopefully we can turn him into a class act.

Brumbies got a good history of turning NSW rejects into starts so hope they do the same with Simone as after breakout NRC season while back just never kicked on in Super Rugby with chances he has had.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope this is just for the offseason.

BD578CD0-0E70-4E4D-B2C0-F85CC53008B2.jpeg

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hopefully just off season - the kiwis are letting heaps of Super regulars (but no AB chances) play in Japan instead of ITM because the alternative is they will head overseas for good. We should be doing more of it. Let the NRC be a development pathway, and let the Super Rugby regulars who are already 'developed' the chance to go to Japan and take up short term. Bit of cash to incentivise them to stay in Australian rugby for longer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He signed a two year deal with the Brumbies, and the announcement is only for the 2018 - 2019 season which will finish in January...........

He's a good bench scrumhalf, but I assume he'll be gone when he completes his contract with the Brumbies and then we'll see Lonergan promoted.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully just off season - the kiwis are letting heaps of Super regulars (but no AB chances) play in Japan instead of ITM because the alternative is they will head overseas for good. We should be doing more of it. Let the NRC be a development pathway, and let the Super Rugby regulars who are already 'developed' the chance to go to Japan and take up short term. Bit of cash to incentivise them to stay in Australian rugby for longer.

No, we definitely don't want that as we need Super Rugby players in the NRC to boost the quality of the competition.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, we definitely don't want that as we need Super Rugby players in the NRC to boost the quality of the competition.

I'd rather have better depth and quality in Super Rugby teams, than have a better NRC and continually shit Super Rugby teams

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brumbies got a good history of turning NSW rejects into starts so hope they do the same with Simone as after breakout NRC season while back just never kicked on in Super Rugby with chances he has had.

Bit harsh to call him a reject. He's in the squad behind some better players. Should they have benched Beale? No. It happens. Better that he moves somewhere where he might start and get more opportunity.

Reactions: TSR

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That doesn't make any sense.... I don't think you've really thought this one through?

I think too many non-regular wallaby players get to a certain stage and are forced overseas to get the $$ as without an ARU topup then there is 0 chance of competing. This drain hurts our Super Rugby performance as it impacts our depth. To many positions we have 1 player, then a fresh faced rookie.

Guys like Lance, Naiyaravoro, Douglas, Timani, Gill, etc, have to leave to get paid as they don't get an ARU topup. If it was a choice between having them skip the NRC, go to Europe and not play Super Rugby or let them skip the NRC and go to Japan and play Super Rugby, I would suggest it's of greater benefit to let them do short term contracts in Japan. Some fringe players have already been allowed this (CLL, Higs).

If you say NO, you have to play NRC and not get paid anymore - then you are making the decision easier for them to leave for good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's unfortunate, but having more players in Japan means they do not receive a full pre-season, and if they're not involved in the NRC that produces a lot of negative factors for Australian rugby, including diminishing the quality of the competition and therefore the development of players we want stepping up to Super Rugby........... is going to have the opposite effect on our Super Rugby teams than you believe it would.